Home Sports Talk
Options

Only the Cubs

AC000000AC000000 Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
Fifty years watching Baseball I've never seemed nothing like this nowhere.

Brewskis have Braun on 1st, Sigurra on 2nd. Camp pitching. Sigurra tries a steal of 3rd. Camp wheels and throws to 3rd. Sigurra changes his mind and races back to 2nd. But Braun tries to take 2nd on Camp's throw. Both runners on 2nd. Both tagged. Braun out because the base is Sigurra's. Okay, so what's the big deal? This happens all the time. But next, even though Braun is out, Sigurra runs back to 1st! He "makes" it back only because the umps were nice and didn't call him out when he was tagged at 2nd when he took his foot off the base to run "back" to 1st.

So how would this be scored? How would the scoring on the play account for Sigurra going back to 1st?

I though Sigurra would be out in any case because I did not think a runner could pass another runner in any direction. And a runner can't go backwards, it's the same as being between the base paths and not on a base, because it's a base the runner is not entitled to.

And bye the whey, a pitch or to later, Sigurra was thrown out trying to steal 2nd.

And the game ended on a Cubs throw out at second on a steal attempt. Busy base that 2nd base was tonight.