Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

So you think you know Baseball Cards

Let's see who thinks they are the expert in OC cards. Of all the cards pictured, the only 2 grades to pick from are PSA 9 (OC) or PSA 8. Which cards got which grade? (And after you list the grade you think, post a scale of 1-10 how sure you are (Ex. 1. CY YOUNG: PSA 9 (OC) (8-10)

1. CY YOUNG
2. LEFTY GROVE
3. BABE RUTH
4. KRISHER
5. JORDAN
6. PAGAN
7. PURDIN
8. GEHRINGER
9. BARROW
10. WALSH
11. PLANK
12. FRICK
13. AARON
14. MANUSH
15. JIM RICE
16. BOUDREAU
17. RUFFING
18. BRESNAHAN
19. SAM RICE
20. CHRISTY MATHEWSON

Comments

• Options
    Sorry I cannot load any attachments or delete this thread
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    I can sort of picture them in my mind
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Got them to load via URL
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    They are all very nice looking cards. I would guess the following might have been OC--1/3/8/9/10/11/12/14/16/18/19/20 ...but I am not a graded collector
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Well I guess everyone else was scared to answer (lol). But here are the results...

1. CY YOUNG
    2. LEFTY GROVE
    3. BABE RUTH
    4. KRISHER
    5. JORDAN
    6. PAGAN
    7. PURDIN
    8. GEHRINGER
    9. BARROW
    10. WALSH
    11. PLANK
    12. FRICK
    13. AARON
    14. MANUSH
    15. JIM RICE
    16. BOUDREAU
    17. RUFFING
    18. BRESNAHAN
    19. SAM RICE
    20. CHRISTY MATHEWSON

How did you make out Bishop??
    MISSED: 1, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 16, 18, 19, 20

The cards that are PSA 8's I sent in to have converted to PSA 9 (OC). PSA did not change any of the PSA 8's, stating they did not qualify for the OC qualifier because the centering did not meet the criteria. I'm still shaking my head. They also said any card that would grade at a PSA 9 (OC), if a submitter chose not to have the qualifier on the grade, the grade would drop a minimum of 2-3 grades...which means there is no way ANY card graded PSA 8 would ever qualify for a PSA 9 (OC). I find that hard to believe, but that's the word I got. Like to see who has experience with this and see if this is indeed true...
  • Options

<< <i>Let's see who thinks they are the expert in OC cards. Of all the cards pictured, the only 2 grades to pick from are PSA 9 (OC) or PSA 8. Which cards got which grade? (And after you list the grade you think, post a scale of 1-10 how sure you are (Ex. 1. CY YOUNG: PSA 9 (OC) (8-10)

I'll give it a shot...It would be nice to the back too...Here goes!

1. CY YOUNG- PSA 9 OC
    2. LEFTY GROVE- PSA 8
    3. BABE RUTH-PSA 9 OC
    4. KRISHER-PSA 8
    5. JORDAN-PSA 8
    6. PAGAN-PSA 9 OC
    7. PURDIN-PSA 9 OC
    8. GEHRINGER-PSA 8
    9. BARROW-PSA 8
    10. WALSH-PSA 8
    11. PLANK-PSA 9 OC
    12. FRICK-PSA 8
    13. AARON-PSA 9 OC
    14. MANUSH-PSA 8
    15. JIM RICE-PSA 8
    16. BOUDREAU-PSA 8
    17. RUFFING-PSA 8
    18. BRESNAHAN-PSA 9 OC
    19. SAM RICE-PSA 8
    20. CHRISTY MATHEWSON >>

-PSA 9 OC
    Collecting 1962-1985 Topps Baseball with an emphasis on the 70's!

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/MemberImageGallery.aspx?m=8724
  • Options
    You did OK GTR...but check the ones you missed :-)
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    I got about 70%.

I think you did well to get several of those in unqual. 8's.

I cannot understand why you want a 9 qualifier instead of unqualified 8's? Also, the corners and surface wear cannot be easily scrutinized via your scans.
  • Options
    Nobody really understands why, but I would prefer a PSA 9 OC over a PSA 8...even if the registry counts a PSA 9 OC as a PSA 7. PSA is so inconsistent with their grading it's funny. I cracked open 4 PSA 8's similar to those in the pics above and had a buddy send them in ungraded to see what they would grade at, 3 came back PSA 8 (OC) and 1 PSA 7 (OC). So Grader #1 reviewed the cards and determined they did not warrant a qualifiers, Grader #2 reviewed the cards and determined they all were OC (Or maybe it was the same grader)

Also the corners/surface are not issues with the grade, I was specifically told the cards shown below did not warrant a PSA 9 (OC) because the centering did not meet the criteria.

Check this from the PSA site: PSA Qualifiers. It says if a card meets all PSA 8 criteria and is OC it will get a PSA 8 (OC). Now I'm told by PSA if the card is OC they will mark the grade down 2-3 grades without a qualifier (A PSA 8 OC card, if you dont want the qualifier, will be graded PSA 6 or PSA 5)

Another page from PSA says "If a card meets all of the other requirements for PSA MINT 9 and measures 65/35 off-center on the front, it may be deemed to meet the PSA front centering standards for MINT 9 if the eye appeal of the card is good." I think this only happens when a big time dealer they know submits cards (Obvious when I resubmit 4 cards with no qualifier cards and get 4 cards back with qualifiers
  • Options
    macboubemacboube Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Welcome to my world (and many others) re. inconsistencies. You would not believe the OC issues I have been going thru with '55 AA's the past five years. One thing I have learned is do not go by what is written as centering standard for high grades, and Joe even expressed this one day to me personally about why so many of our 9's that were well within all the centering, corner, and surface wear qualities of a PSA 10 don't grade 10. PSA purposefully limits the Gem Mint 10 population (at least in vinatage cards) as they want a certain stigmatism or aura associated with them.