Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Just Retired My Proof Collection....

1950-1964 Proof with Major Varieties

After a decade of collecting, I just retired my proof collection. The coins are going to be sold with no reserve at Central States April 24-27. I enjoyed putting the set together. Got to interface with a lot of collectors and dealers. Some collectors like Wohlforth sold me Jeffersons from their collection even though I was starting to challenge the registry rankings. Alex and Nan fought with me over the Jeffersons as we tried to build the same sets. Eventually, got many of the Alex/Nan coins when their set retired.

I needed the 1956 Franklin Type 1 PR68Dcam that was held by RRL, but he would only part with it if he could sell his registry set. Parke Kallenburg and I must have split the RRL collection when Parke was building his 'Every Half in USA' collection. The excellent 1955 Franklin PR68DCam was sourced from Rick Tomaska at R&I Coins. R&I was a key source for building the registry set. Rick always seemed to be able to get his hands on top coins.

Would like to thank James Sego for the error Lincolns, Russ for the 1964 AH off the BST Board here, and Ash Harrison in Greensboro for the local Greensboro Coin Club support. While I didn't find any of the collection locally, the hunt was part of the fun.

I looked at hundreds of coins during previews at Heritage auctions. May be the best way to understand what makes a great coin not only for proofs but for rarities. It's not the holder..it's the coin. Picked up the Superbird 1952 Washington PR67DCam (in a different holder) which was overlooked and not designated as Superbird. Even managed to get a few of the coins from Teletrade and EBay.

Lastly, bought sealed 100 Proof boxes and searched for 1960-1964 cameos and errors. Searched thousands of sets and made one coin for the set and numerous AH Kennedy.

The search was fun. The friends made in the process are priceless. I am still collecting toned Jeffersons for fun and pre-war Jefferson proofs.
Collector of Modern Silver Proofs 1950-1964 -- PCGS Registry as Elite Cameo

Link to 1950 - 1964 Proof Registry Set
1938 - 1964 Proof Jeffersons w/ Varieties

Comments