Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

What's the Best way to sell baseball cards at a garage sale?

Just wondering if any of you have had any success selling unwanted or duplicate cards, including stars, rookies, high numbers, and commons from 1951-1983 at garage sales? My wife is having one is a couple of weeks and I thought maybe I should join in the fun. Should I price out stars in advance? Should I try to make boxes up that sell for one price - such as this box of cards is $50 for the whole thing? Should I put out some higher priced graded cards?

Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Looking to trade for, or purchase, raw or graded vintage for my baseball sets: 1927 York Caramel, 1951 Bowman, 1957 Topps, 1967-1979.
http://richsbaseball.webs.com

Comments

• I would not put out any single cards over $5 unless you have a locked display case. I caught a guy stealing at my yard sale 6 years ago and after I nearly killed him we both ended up in court. He had a record longer than the dead sea scrolls, so the law sided with me. But it was an experience I would not want to relive. Also be very watchful of early birds for the same reason, I suggest you not allow them on your property until the scheduled start time.
  • spazzyspazzy Posts: 592 ✭✭
    I just put a big box of cards all mixed together and thrown in the box and let anyone just buy 10 for 1.00. Whatever i did not serll i donated. A garage sale is to sell off your stuff anyway. If anyone asks if you have better cards, just bring some out after discussion.
  • gameusedhoopgameusedhoop Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭✭
    Just put out the junk you want to get rid of, don't advertise to just anyone what you have in the house. Keep the expensive stuff inside and sell it online etc.

Make up a few boxes, tape a star or two in a top loader to the top of the box, and put it out as "box" lots. Make the star a local or very nationally known player and you should do OK. Don't put out anything that you would be mad at if it walks off.

You should be there for your wife anyway, just to keep the wolves from taking advantage of her, another pair of eyes is invaluable at a yard sale.
  • TabeTabe Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Just put out the junk you want to get rid of, don't advertise to just anyone what you have in the house. Keep the expensive stuff inside and sell it online etc.

Make up a few boxes, tape a star or two in a top loader to the top of the box, and put it out as "box" lots. Make the star a local or very nationally known player and you should do OK. Don't put out anything that you would be mad at if it walks off.

You should be there for your wife anyway, just to keep the wolves from taking advantage of her, another pair of eyes is invaluable at a yard sale. >>

In our area, we have coordinated teams/families that will try to rob yard sales. Lots of cornering of one person to ask a question while another one switches price tags (or just flat out steals).
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭
    +1 for don't put out anything small and valuable at a Garage Sale. Thieves everywhere.

In regards to cards, just put out your "crap" and price it higher than say someone here would buy it for. This serves two purposes, one it allows for negotiating room and two, there are a lot of people out there who pay too much for common cards.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

<< <i>+1 for don't put out anything small and valuable at a Garage Sale. Thieves everywhere.

In regards to cards, just put out your "crap" and price it higher than say someone here would buy it for. This serves two purposes, one it allows for negotiating room and two, there are a lot of people out there who pay too much for common cards. >>

Correct! You would be suprised what people will buy. Few years ago, wife had sale and I said WTF,
    so I set out a 5000 ct. box of commons(the good stuff 1988-91image) priced em at $45 expecting that
    if somebody did want them, gave me pleanty of room to go down. The first guy I noticed even
    look at them, grabbed them, full price!! Then ask me if I had anymore!! Lets just say I dont have
    any more commons from the junk yearsimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!