Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Are 1960-69 collectors all free love stoned hippies or the few that aren't?

Interestingly, having come back to serious collecting 7 years ago I am struck by the complete lack of any chatter or excitement among collectors of sets from the 1960s. My theory is that the generation are all stoned out hippies marching with code-pink and working at universities destroying our youth. Am I right? Where are the 1960s decade card fanatics at? image

75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

Comments

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The startling lack of hats in the '62 woodies scared them off.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    RAPTORSRULE04RAPTORSRULE04 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    stoned immaculate
  • Options

<< <i>The startling lack of hats in the '62 woodies scared them off. >>

Its not the lack of hats, its the biff buzzcuts underneath them
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I think the guys with the super high-end completely graded 60's sets are too busy building their fourth summer homes out of hundred-dollar bills. That or they've moved onto cards like the Old Mill Shoeless and other insane PreWar rarities. As long as they leave one beater Ruth RC for me I'm cool with that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>stoned immaculate >>

+1 Morrison reference..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    Well if that is true Matt I hope that is us in 10 years and people wonder what is going on with those 70s collectors? As of now, we can't keep our mouths shut lol.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    None of the above.

Why do you ask?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

<< <i>None of the above.

Why do you ask?

Joe >>

Hey Joe, reason is that I am about done with the 70s decade. I dont know if I want to spend the next 5 years chasing 10s to improve my sets or work on some other years. I was looking into some 60s sets and it occured to me that in the 5 years of perusing various forum and other discussion sites - there has been almost NO chatter between 60s collectors. You can check this registry forum. 70s and even 80s have some active threads - but 60s nothing. Do you have a theory? It does appear that there is active buying and improving of sets, is this true? In the end, I am probably going to collect a year or two I love in the 50s based on the beauty of the card. I'll probably skip the 60s
  • Options
    I started collecting in 1957 and have done all the 1960s Topps and Fleer sets. I particularly like the 1967 Topps set and the 1963 Fleer set. But I also like almost all of the regular Topps 1960s sets, and now Heritage is recreating all those great sets. Plus the 1960s were without a doubt the Golde Age for Topps insert and Test sets. And most people are unaware that Fleer put out some great baseball related sets in the 60s beyond the iconic 1963 set. If you are done with the 70s and looking for a new challenge, welcome to the 60s .

Al
  • Options

<< <i>I started collecting in 1957 and have done all the 1960s Topps and Fleer sets. I particularly like the 1967 Topps set and the 1963 Fleer set. But I also like almost all of the regular Topps 1960s sets, and now Heritage is recreating all those great sets. Plus the 1960s were without a doubt the Golde Age for Topps insert and Test sets. And most people are unaware that Fleer put out some great baseball related sets in the 60s beyond the iconic 1963 set. If you are done with the 70s and looking for a new challenge, welcome to the 60s . >>

Thanks bishop, so let me ask a more serious question, would you guess that the reason there is no exchange among 60s collectors is that their sets are basically made and they have moved onto other things? I'm actually curious
  • Options
    While I know folks who sometimes post here who collect 1960s cards, bobsbbcards,, winpitcher and Mariner come to mind, many of the Topps collectors I know have.for one reason or another, migrated off this board from a posting standpoint. I see more discussion of 1960s cards on Net 54 post war.

You can look in the PSA Registry for examples of folks who have finished or are working on graded versions of the sets. I am not a graded collector but have tried to complete all the the 60s sets in master format. But I do the same for the 50s, 70s, 80s.....

Maybe you should start a thread on the 60s set that most interests you. Most of the 60s collectors I know personally seldom seem stoned or appear bent brain washing the youth of America . We are in general however a weird lot imageimage

Al
  • Options
    marinermariner Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭✭
    MintMoondog....

just refreshed two long threads that I started several years ago on 1959 Topps and 1963 Topps. It would be nice to keep them going awhile.

There is some interesting information in them and some great looking cards!!
    Don

Collect primarily 1959-1963 Topps Baseball
    set registry id Don Johnson Collection
    ebay id truecollector14
  • Options

<< <i>MintMoondog....

just refreshed two long threads that I started several years ago on 1959 Topps and 1963 Topps. It would be nice to keep them going awhile.

There is some interesting information in them and some great looking cards!! >>

thanks Mariner! The 63 set was one I was thinking of...
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Most of the 60s collectors I know personally seldom seem stoned >>

Seldom? Good qualifier.

Since I'm both a '60s and a '70s set collector, I've read most if not all of the threads related to each decade. The '60s stuff will have much less of the "pack ripping" content and "quest for 10s" stuff since there is VERY LITTLE unopened material pre-1970, and the collectors who are pursuing 10s tend to not post (Spence and his ilk). I, for one, am quite content with very nice looking cards which, on a good day, could be graded a PSA 9. I've never purchased a PSA 9 from the '60s, since the visual difference between an 8 and a 9 isn't worth the increase in price (for me).

For '60s sets, the quest for completion (in any condition) and the discovery of new variations seems to be of prime importance. Someone needing a few more cards for their '67 or '61 set gets all of us rooting for them. In the late '70s, if someone needed one more card, and didn't care if it was a PSA 7 or PSA 8 or whatever, eleventy-seven people would send them one within minutes.
  • Options
    Admit it Bob, the quest for new variations from the 60s annoys you somewhat.....

Al
  • Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Admit it Bob, the quest for new variations from the 60s annoys you somewhat..... >>

Somewhat? Surely you jest. image
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>None of the above.

Why do you ask?

Joe >>

Hey Joe, reason is that I am about done with the 70s decade. I dont know if I want to spend the next 5 years chasing 10s to improve my sets or work on some other years. I was looking into some 60s sets and it occured to me that in the 5 years of perusing various forum and other discussion sites - there has been almost NO chatter between 60s collectors. You can check this registry forum. 70s and even 80s have some active threads - but 60s nothing. Do you have a theory? It does appear that there is active buying and improving of sets, is this true? In the end, I am probably going to collect a year or two I love in the 50s based on the beauty of the card. I'll probably skip the 60s >>

First off, I am not a set collector. The player I collect is Harmon Killebrew and the bulk of his cards were issued in the 1960's.

My feelings are the 1960's were the best decade of card design. Some classic years there. If you look at the prices on low pop 1960's high grade cards, you will see they are getting expensive!

Over the last few years there have been many different threads on the subject of the 1960's. I think the subject has been thoroughly discussed, but if you have anything new to add PLEASE don't hesitate to start a new thread.

The complaint I have on the boards is a general lack of good topics and threads that degenerate into off-topic arguments.

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    Hey Mariner thank you for updating the 1963 forum! Those are incredible scans!!! You know the 63 set is one of those that when the card is right, they are entirely gorgeous to look at. the design of that card is head and shoulders above any in the decade IMO