Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Help explain why hole punched tickets are graded inconsistently based on the sport?

I sent this via e-mail three months ago and so far have not recieved a response. Can anyone help?

Joe,

I have some hole punched Daytona full tickets, beautiful in all respects, & as you know, very hard to come by. PSA for the most part grades these tickets Authentic, punch canceled. Upon futher research per PSA grading standards for tickets, I understand that any full ticket that has been hole punched (by the vendor), has ink marks, or has been stamped (by the vendor) etc.will be labeled Authentic & with one of the following qualifiers,such as hole punched, stamped etc.

What I dont understand is why World Series tickets in the # 1 & 3 registry sets that are hole punched (by the vendor), ink stamped void etc, are not graded authentic punch canceled etc.

Even on page 107 of the Dec. SMR, there is pictured a 1911 World Series hole punched (by the vendor) full ticket.This to me should be labled Authentic, punch canceled, not VG-EX 4.

When you have time, please provide explanation regarding why these tickets are treated differently in the grading process.

Thanks for your time and attention to this matter.

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On "oddball" items there seems to be some problems.

I recently sent in a matchbook to be graded. It had no matches in it, and looked exactly like a similar matchbook I had in my possession that graded "Authentic".

Figured an "Authentic" was good enough, I just wanted it in a slab. It came back a 5.

Try calling customer service and see if you can get someone to talk to you about it.

Good luck,

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I've already seen a handful of similar inconsistencies for ticket grading. This could explain why there is almost zero premium for psa graded tickets vs raw tickets. Other than authenticating purposes the ticket grading element of PSA is probably lacking compared to the other services PSA offers.

Just look at how slow the ticket registry is...

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums

• Options
    cards651cards651 Posts: 665 ✭✭

<< <i>there is almost zero premium for psa graded tickets vs raw tickets. Other than authenticating purposes the ticket grading element of PSA is probably lacking compared to the other services PSA offers. >>

Spot on. I've been buying some tickets over the last few months. Authentication is the only question. I mean, how do you grade a torn ticket stub on a scale of 1 to 10? Absurd.

I thought I saw a ticket graded, "Hole Punched, Not Good for Admission". This makes sense. It's a full ticket but similar to a stub in that it has been used.

The ticket collecting is a fun sideline but there's so much garbage, reproductions etc. that I don't ever see it growing. Of course, I always threw out wax wrappers and now there's a push to grade them so don't listen to me.

I have a note into PSA on tickets where there is no Section, Row or Seat numbers. They have everything else - teams, date etc. They are often season ticket sheets used for review prior to printing. They are not 'phantom' tickets because the games were played. But they could not gain you admission to the event either. Any ideas how they would grade these, if at all?
  • Options
    akuracy503akuracy503 Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭
    I've seen these type of tickets listed "not valid for admission" not so much a proof (could be)

CU Ancient Members badge member.

Collection: https://flickr.com/photos/185200668@N06/albums