Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Ripken FF "Sawblade" Cut Out

I recall pulling one of these back in 1989 from a K-mart. Does anyone have one of these cut out FF cards? How rare are they?

Check out the last picture.
Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

Comments

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 2 or 3 that I pulled from packs in 1989. I believe it would be very easy to fake that card. There are currently a lot of the listed on Ebay including a lot of 50.
    James

Saw Cut FF Ripken
  • Options
    Hi James, I have thought about that, faking the cut would be very easy. I traded mine 22 years ago to a local dealer for a nice return. If your interested in selling one please PM me.

Dave
  • Options
    76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it's not a very rare card. Just an fyi, I have a bunch of different variations of the card, and wanted to get them all graded. PSA won't grade the saw cut version.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think any reputable grading company will grade them.
    Dave, I hadn't really thought about selling one. I'm out of town working for the next 4 weeks so I wouldn't be able to do anything until I get back anyway.
    James
  • Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭
    It's funny this thread came up. I have opened a fair amount of 89 Fleer but didn't know these were around until about 3 weeks ago when my brother and I pulled a saw cut Bill Ripken the very next card after a normal cut Ripken out of the same pack.

The stranger part, at least to us, was that one was the black box and one was the black scribble (can't remember which was which). I actually thought about posting it but forgot. Is it normal to have 2 different corrected versions in the same box much less pack? And is Ripken the only card that is found with the cut?
  • Options

<< <i>It's funny this thread came up. I have opened a fair amount of 89 Fleer but didn't know these were around until about 3 weeks ago when my brother and I pulled a saw cut Bill Ripken the very next card after a normal cut Ripken out of the same pack.

The stranger part, at least to us, was that one was the black box and one was the black scribble (can't remember which was which). I actually thought about posting it but forgot. Is it normal to have 2 different corrected versions in the same box much less pack? And is Ripken the only card that is found with the cut? >>

To me that does not sound right. But weirder things have happened I suppose. But looking at this auction, you can see the sawblade cut is different from card to card. Some are higher, some are lower, some to the right, some to the left. This could all have to do with centering as well. But I dont know what the commonality of this card is to say there would be that much movement on it.

In addition I have seen full sheets of just this card. Does Fleer usually print cards in this manner?

Billy Ripken Sheet
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I AM CONFUSED. Why would fleer put a sawblade through the cards that were returned, but then re release them where you can still see the FF obscenity?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>I AM CONFUSED. Why would fleer put a sawblade through the cards that were returned, but then re release them where you can still see the FF obscenity? >>

To me there are a lot more fakes out there than it appears. These saw blade versions seem to more populated than the card themselves. There is probably 100 current auctions/ended auction that include saw blade versions and in quantities!

My only guess was before the crash of cards, there were lots of manipulation on the card to produce further variants, rarities or confusion about the card to increase the value and many dealers are still stuck with thousands of them. In my opinion, they are ruined cards with the sawblade cuts. Whether they are authentic is hard to say. I see some sealed cellos and rack packs with the sawblade on top, but are these resealed?

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Whether they are authentic is hard to say. >>

Not sure about the Fface but I am telling you I personally pulled what is being referred to in this thread as a saw blade cut Ripken out of a BBCE wax box in the last month. Not sure how many people are resealing '89 Fleer wax with home made "saw blade" cut Ripken corrected versions, but I guess it's possible.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    There are so many versions of this card, and so many related and innovative fakes, that the fakes may be as or more collectible than the actual cards image
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭
    I miss Donovan (1989FleerBillRipkencollector)... you can find a ton of info on this card at his website: www.billripken.com
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Whether they are authentic is hard to say. >>

Not sure about the Fface but I am telling you I personally pulled what is being referred to in this thread as a saw blade cut Ripken out of a BBCE wax box in the last month. Not sure how many people are resealing '89 Fleer wax with home made "saw blade" cut Ripken corrected versions, but I guess it's possible. >>

The one I pulled back in the day came from a rack.
  • Options
    I opened 2 boxes in the past month and got 0 Billy Ripkens. About a year ago I got a bunch of random packs and pulled a F-Face error card (no sawblade cut) which was graded a 10. But they dont seem that difficult to get given the amount out there. I question the boxes I opened though. I have 2 more boxes I am tempted to open from the same dealer.
  • Options
    jp1216jp1216 Posts: 38 ✭✭
    Had to bump this thread for the 25th Anniversary of the FF!

I 'miss' Donovan (hi Donovan) too. image We started that website some time ago. I try to keep it fresh and updated from time to time.
    The 'saw-cut' originally linked and priced at $100 - isn't your average FF sawcut. It has a slight doubled FF image. Worth more. Most basic FF factory sawcut cards can be found for $10 +/-.

2013 was an above average year collecting the FF. A few 'new' finds and a couple odd ball varieties to add. Can only hope 2014 is half the year 2013 was.
  • Options

<< <i>I AM CONFUSED. Why would fleer put a sawblade through the cards that were returned, but then re release them where you can still see the FF obscenity? >>

Most sawcut cards are real. The bulk listings on eBay are from 1 particular guy that HOARDED FF cards in 1989. Truck loads. Being the center, bottom card on it's 132 card sheet, the FF was an easy target for a saw blade into a stack of uncut sheets. The blade wasn't trying to hit the knob, but just the card. Mark them for destruction. Obviously, most made there way to market.

There are some fakes out there. Most people don't want to waste time cutting a $10 card and turning it into another $10 card. Pretty easy to spot, especially under close inspection. Width and quality of the cut.
  • Options
    Below are a couple 'saw-cut' cards on top of racks that I have. 100% legit.

• Options
    I always thought the saw blade cards were like that so they could be identified easier and be pulled from being packaged out and that some made it through anyway.
  • Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Well actually, the saw blade method was used to mark the cards prior to distribution. Fleer did not have a recall that I remember, pretty sure they didn't. I think the order of distribution was as follows: FF, scribble, black box, white out, saw tooth. I think there were several different positionings of the cutting to mark as a removal.
    CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    There was a 'recall' of sorts. I remember seeing a flyer back in '89 (something about sending back FF cards for redemption). Wish I had a copy of it today.

Correct about the saw-cut cards. They were cut to be destroyed. Easily identifiable, but obviously many many made it out into circulation. Many were also back-doored by workers.

This card still amazes me. Much more information out there. This was before the internet, but only 25 years ago (I sound old)...
  • Options
    I was asked to talk about some of the 'secret' versions mentioned by Donovan years before.
    The biggest was the 'semi-airbrushed' or 'Circle Scribble'. Pictures on the BillRipken.com website.
    It can be found in about 4 levels of coverage. The lightest being the most common - I've seen about 12 to date.
    Early on, the lightest version was the only one known. In the past 7 years or so, the darker levels have appeared. Nearly all have the sawcut.

The real reason for keeping it 'secret' was to hunt for uncut versions. Needle in a haystack searching. Donovan found the first uncut light 'Circle Scribble' about 6 years ago on eBay for under $5. Find of the century for us. Sad ending (sort of) was the seller mailing it in a PWE that got damaged. Major crease! Resides in a VG-3 holder now.

The darkest 'Circle Scribble' wasn't detected right away. Donovan had what appeared to be a black box card with a sawcut running right through the bat knob. Leaving the right side of the knob visible. Looked like a black box with a ragged edge. A keeper, but we didn't really know what we had. A couple years later, I found the companion piece - same exact sawcut but now showing the left side of the bat knob! Put them together and they formed a very dark 'Circle Scribble' version. The uncut version of this was located 12 months ago. Find of the year!

The 'Circle Scribble' wasn't really a secret - just not talked about. Tuff Stuff ran a detailed article on different versions and listed it as 'Semi-Airbrushed' and gave a crude picture.
    Beckett even had a picture of one in a price guide, but just mentioned it as a scribble.

As for 'new' discoveries - about 10 months ago, a fellow collector emailed saying he had something I needed to see. Odd black scribble card with a very unique pattern of marks. Still haven't found a good name for it yet. Interesting card and possibly a new version.