Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Opinions on this 1892-S Morgan please.

Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭
Coin # 1. EDIT-Update: Changed pic # 1 to similar lighting.

Coin # 2

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

<< <i>Cleaned and/or dipped out, but I have a feeling that's just from poor lighting. >>

Coin 1: See comment above. I would call it AU details. If it grades problem free (which I doubt), it looks like an AU55 to me.
    Coin 2: Looks Au58 to me, but I see cleaning hairlines. With this said, I wouldn't be surprised if it holdered at a straight AU58.

Edited to add: Is the second coin in a rattler? I think I have seen this previously, but won't reveal the grade as a courtesy to you. I saw a coin in a PCGS rattler that looked identical to coin #2.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭
    Textbook example of an over-dipped coin
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 looks cleaned. The obverse might even be whizzed.

#2 is a straight 58 from the image, although it may be a bit doctored in the reverse fields.

Of course, you can only tell so much from images.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    #1 looks polished. Maybe it's the images.

#2 looks fine. The chin hairlines are not from cleaning. High AU is not out of the question.
    Lance.
  • Options
    1. Whizzed/polished/chromium look, dim reminder of the 87.
    2. Looks 55-58 but also looks disturbed. Mint mark/date appear - VAM 2? I dunno, it's 5 am.

Eric
  • Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree that coin number 1 looks like an AU details coin that has been cleaned/polished/whizzed upon, etc.

Coin number 2 looks like a solid AU55 to 58 to me.

Hopefully you either own the second one, or are contemplating buying one of the two. If contemplating on which to buy, you should buy number 2. image

• Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>......

Coin number 2 looks like a solid AU55 to 58 to me.

If contemplating on which to buy, you should buy number 2. image >>

:

agree;
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once had a dream I could blow my breath over a coin and bring it back to it's natural state. Scariest dream ever image
    I'd be blowing on number 1 if my dreams could come true.
  • Options
    DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AU55, and I'd also go for #2. Number one looks like a body bag candidate.
    When in doubt, don't.
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325
    Planchet striation from the mint roller. With that much remaining I would say your lighting is poor for the picture. I would guess two possible grades. MS63 AU58. Yeah, no kidding.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>1. Whizzed/polished/chromium look, dim reminder of the 87.
    2. Looks 55-58 but also looks disturbed. Mint mark/date appear - VAM 2? I dunno, it's 5 am.

Eric >>

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first coin is a train wreck

The second is not bad- and I would consider it decent for the date. I see it as an AU55 and better than most I usually see. Please keep in mind this date is the worst for the series in terms of enhancing for the optimum grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coin # 1 is burnt from overdipping and has no luster remaining.

Coin # 2 is more AU 55 to me, just a little too much chatter for an AU 58, but a very nice coin for a scarce key date.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got that right.I think the 86-0 is a close contender.
  • Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with 410a
    AU toMS63
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>The first coin is a train wreck

The second is not bad- and I would consider it decent for the date. I see it as an AU55 and better than most I usually see. Please keep in mind this date is the worst for the series in terms of enhancing for the optimum grade. >>

PCGS has only found 59 in MS, and that number includes crackouts. the 93-S has 36 in MS. The 86-O has a couple thousand in MS. The 81-S has more than 200000 in MS.

So coin # 1 might need to be offered a little forgiveness.
  • Options
    magikbillymagikbilly Posts: 6,780

<< <i>

<< <i>The first coin is a train wreck

The second is not bad- and I would consider it decent for the date. I see it as an AU55 and better than most I usually see. Please keep in mind this date is the worst for the series in terms of enhancing for the optimum grade. >>

PCGS has only found 59 in MS, and that number includes crackouts. the 93-S has 36 in MS. The 86-O has a couple thousand in MS. The 81-S has more than 200000 in MS.

So coin # 1 might need to be offered a little forgiveness. >>

As what? It looks totally altered IMHO. I don't see it slabbing with that appearance.

Eric

• Options
    stealerstealer Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭✭
    If anything PCGS graders would be more fastidious when MS-look-alike specimens cross their desk. They know there aren't many graded out there, and probably still fewer raw.
  • Options

<< <i>If anything PCGS graders would be more fastidious when MS-look-alike specimens cross their desk. They know there aren't many graded out there, and probably still fewer raw. >>

You miss my point. Even cleaned, it is a 15-20K coin. More money than you make in a year! image

KIDDING!!!
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    15-20K? Really....?

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file