Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the 1827 Quarter actually a medal?

MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
I stumbled on this Numismatic News Alan Herbert 2012 Q&A via Google:

Q: A confusing problem: Some sources list the 1827 quarters as regular issues, some as proofs, including the one sold in the Garrett sale. Please clear this up.

A: Mint records list a mintage of 4,000, but R.W. Julian believes these were struck with 1825 dates. Walter Breen, in his book on proofs, estimates “12 1827 proofs” and lists the pedigrees for nine of them. The Garrett piece, sold for $190,000, is one of the four proofs obtained by Joseph J. Mickley directly from the Mint in 1827. Julian mentions one known 1827 circulation strike and elsewhere describes the proofs as “technically and legally … medals struck with coinage dies.”

Perhaps Denga or someone else can explain, please.
Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Comments

• Options
    Billet7Billet7 Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭
    I too await a response. Thanks for asking the question.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I stumbled on this Numismatic News Alan Herbert 2012 Q&A via Google:

Q: A confusing problem: Some sources list the 1827 quarters as regular issues, some as proofs, including the one sold in the Garrett sale. Please clear this up.

A: Mint records list a mintage of 4,000, but R.W. Julian believes these were struck with 1825 dates. Walter Breen, in his book on proofs, estimates “12 1827 proofs” and lists the pedigrees for nine of them. The Garrett piece, sold for $190,000, is one of the four proofs obtained by Joseph J. Mickley directly from the Mint in 1827. Julian mentions one known 1827 circulation strike and elsewhere describes the proofs as “technically and legally … medals struck with coinage dies.”

Perhaps Denga or someone else can explain, please. >>

All proof coins (with the exception of the 1836 Gobrecht dollars) struck prior to 1860 are in fact technically
    medals as they were not delivered as coinage. The law required that certain steps be taken by mint officials
    before a struck planchet became a legal coin, including signed warrants.

The 1827 quarter dollars are similar to the 1858 silver dollars; in both cases there was no regular coinage
    and today we have only the proofs made for collectors and no official records of their being struck. Other such
    instances include the 1841 quarter eagles and half cents of 1836 and 1840-1848. Beginning in 1860 proof
    gold and silver coins were delivered by the coiner according to law but minor coins of bronze and copper-nickel
    were not officially delivered until 1878; this means, for example, that the 1877 nickel is also technically a medal
    because there was no official coinage of nickels in that year.

Prior to 1854 proof coins were struck ‘off the books’ by the chief coiner. With minor exceptions they were made
    available to collectors at face value. In 1854 the striking of proofs passed into the hands of the mint director but
    such pieces were still issued at face value through 1859. Beginning in 1860 a premium was charged.
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks denga
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And Pluto isn't a "planet" anymore, now it's a "dwarf planet", one of many such bodies "out there"

The piece of rock and ice itself doesn't notice the distinction. It is what it is, despite humans changing the labels.

As for 1827 quarters, I agree with Steve Tompkins classifications in his book: Essays, Originals, and Restrikes

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file