Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1967 Kennedy SMS Error - What type? 1973 RR Half also..

I recently bought a 1967 SMS Kennedy that is really nice. I found something odd on it though,

Nice looking except for this:

It is not glue, it looks to be more silver metal to me. A strike through? Not sure I would call it a die drip if there where such a thing. He is a modified picture of what it is:

Any ideas on what type of error this could be? It appears to me that metal was squeezed through the die somehow. Does it hurt the value of the coin itself or make it worth more? I am glad to have it because I have never had a coin like it...

Also here is what the wife found this week,

Its in good shape also..

I have it figured to be around 135 degrees off..

NOTE BELOW IS A NORMAL HALF!!!

I have been told it could be worth $100 maybe. Anyway, the wife is very happy with it. She found an 89 once but it was a magicians coin. This one is not. It weighs 11.38 and when I flip it is does have the right ring to it.

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

Comments

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    is it sticking up or an impression into?
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭
    Its simply a strike through on the 1967. Quite Common.

The 1973-D does not appear to have any die rotation mush less 135 degrees as shown by the photo in front of the mirror.

Oops. My bad, I was looking at the last photo in the list.

Judging from that picture that shows rotation, check for a seam to insure that it hasn't been modified post mint. It looks like there is a definite seam across the top of AMERICA.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    *** Sticking out, not in. It is silver in color and looks like extra metal...

**** Nope, no seams at all, I double check with 60x, listened for the ring (yes), weighed it (11.38g) before I told the wife she had the real deal..
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    can't say it is or is not glue,

but

get some 100% acetone (no nail polish remover) and soak it. see if it comes off.

it may not look like glue, but sometimes that shine and small size can play tricks on you.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warning: Many Kennedy halves I found in circulation (3) end up being "Magician Coins". If persistent, you can open or split the two in half. Try slamming on a surface,It should open. (If It's a Magician coin)imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file