Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Good Candidate for "Conservation"? 1826 Capped Bust Half Dollar

Just curious if the public thinks this could "conserve" if run through PCGS's new service. It's currently in an AU-Details holder for environmental damage.

Could the streak on the obverse be removed without completely altering the surface color? Without the streak, it'd be a nice piece. Probably AU50, maybe 53.

All input is greatly appreciated image Thanks

imageimage
Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Let me explain why- I seriously doubt those black lines will come off and if they remain after the rest of the coin has lost its look, the end result will be a train wreck- the lines will be hightlighted worse than they are now

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rubber band marks?
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sure would be nice to be able to simply remove the black streaks, but even if one could, the brightness under where the black streaks were would not at all match the rest of the coin. A dip might remove the black streaks, but it would also take off the rest of the toning. My guess is that no matter what is done to this coin, the black patch areas will not match the rest of the coin. In its present state, this coin at least has some areas of nice toning.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Already in a details holder?
    Sure, I'd go for it.

There is a likelihood the results wouldn't be favorable, but also a chance you will accomplish exactly what it is you are seeking (the black doesn't look deep).

peacockcoins

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, I don't think PCGS will accept it for conservation. Mozin is right.

I hoped PCGS might work some magic on this half which graded problem-free but has an obvious obverse distraction. It was returned with a note that it would look worse. LOL.
    Lance.

imageimage
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Even worse there is often etching in the metal under rubber band marks like that. That is a scar and it will be there forever
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Lance, is that a drift mark? Yes, it is distracting, but at least it's naturally-occurring. I think I could look past something like that since it's not post-mint, and it's understandable why PCGS wouldn't want to mess with it.

Well, sounds like an almost unanimous "no" on my 1827. Darn! image

Thanks anyway, all!
  • Options
    ColonelJessupColonelJessup Posts: 6,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Even worse there is often etching in the metal under rubber band marks like that. That is a scar and it will be there forever >>

ED underneath.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Geo. Orwell
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Even worse there is often etching in the metal under rubber band marks like that. That is a scar and it will be there forever >>

ED underneath. >>

I love the truth when it's spoken, but it's good to see TYPED out, as well.
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sure would be nice to be able to simply remove the black streaks, but even if one could, the brightness under where the black streaks were would not at all match the rest of the coin. A dip might remove the black streaks, but it would also take off the rest of the toning. My guess is that no matter what is done to this coin, the black patch areas will not match the rest of the coin. In its present state, this coin at least has some areas of nice toning. >>

+1
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Rubber band marks? >>

That's my thought too.
    Becky
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coin at least has full detail and lots of character the way it currently is. Stripping it clean doesn't "improve" anything in my mind.

It's an 1827 bust half dollar that has seen a lot in its time. It's not a modern coin where a quick dip would probably make no difference.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Lance, is that a drift mark? Yes, it is distracting, but at least it's naturally-occurring. I think I could look past something like that since it's not post-mint, and it's understandable why PCGS wouldn't want to mess with it. >>

I don't really know. The half is uncirculated and the mark may be from improper storage (PMD)...something resting on it. It doesn't resemble a metallic impurity streak. More like a stain.

Have you heard the notion that sometimes organic material (sawdust or charcoal, e.g.) was rolled into the strips before punching planchets? Supposedly annealing furnaces reduced such impurities to cinders. Like copper spots, it is usually not possible to remove without damaging the coin or exposing damage beneath it.
    Lance.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Environmental damage might be unattractive BUT ... at the cost o stripping the rest of the coin of it's natural state of being what it is.... which to me is pretty, I always have to remind myself "LEAVE WELL ENOUGH ALONE". That's when I compare a coin to a woman. Let her be. She is fine the way she is.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Might actually be appealing to a drag racing fan who also collects coins.
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rubber bands were not invented until 96 years after this bust half was minted.

peacockcoins

• Options
    Probaby not...Sorry buddy!
    Taylor
    Also known as coinman101---
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would give it a try - but only because it is in a Details holder. I am not hopeful because the amount of stripping required to remove the black stuff is much greater than the rest of the coin.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    Here is a coin with the same rubber band marks removed, notice what it looks like esp on the close up of the Rev
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Not bad, but I do see etching...

What'd you use on it?
  • Options
    I didn't clean that one but there's only two things that remove gunk but not tone, mineral oil and acetone. I suspect the latter, as it looks like the results I have had on other coins with similar looks

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file