Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

I need advice on how to buy and sell in this forum.

I need advice on how to buy and sell in this forum. I have been buying and selling on ebay uder the username ignaciocc going on 14 years now but I am tired of paying those ebay fees. Thanks in advance image

Comments

• Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Post reasonable prices and decent pics and you have a great shot at selling stuff.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
    one key is to have images of both sides for any coin you are selling. Be specific as well about the condition ,note in some detail such as cleaning or slab condition , color etc .
    Be realistic in your ask price. Many on the BST ask high retail on there coins and they often sit. Old long running post are also a great negative keep your post updated and delete what has been sold. Nothing beats the BST.image
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, but what I really need to know is the specifics on making the actual exchange without being ripped off. What are some of the pitfalls and scams to look out for?
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice, but what I really need to know is the specifics on making the actual exchange without being ripped off. What are some of the pitfalls and scams to look out for?
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think of scams on this BST. POSt cound helps but there are several buyers on here who do not post. Do you normal dilligence, ask for other board member references, wait until comfortable with payment etc.

One other note, even when responding to questions you should only bump your thread once a day. I know you are not selling on this thread and it is educational, but too many bumps and someone will likely ask you to stop the bumps.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since you are a newbie to this forum, people here will be more concerned about getting ripped by you.
  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>since you are a newbie to this forum, people here will be more concerned about getting ripped by you. >>

This.

Until you build up your BST rep, be prepared to be behind the eight-ball. You may be asked to send your item to the buyer before payment is sent to you. We all started out this way. But...it is very worthwhile and you won't regret it. There are lots of good deals on here, both for buyers and sellers. It all depends on what you are selling (or looking for).

Best of luck to you, and welcome aboard!
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>since you are a newbie to this forum, people here will be more concerned about getting ripped by you. >>

You could start to craft a reputation by participating on the US Coin Forum and build relationships with other forum members. If you are here just to sell coins, the BST will probably not be as fruitful as you might imagine.
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While the bst is an excelent selling resource its important to know that you have a limited number of eyes on your listings here, much much less that a venue as large as ebay.
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is almost impossible to sell a coin here, but you can promote yours for sale elsewhere. That has some advantages in my opinion.

Can't you tell from the smart a** reply's so far that you are never going to sell a coin direct!! image
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    Given your low post count, you may want to consider offering to send the coin to a prospective buyer first. Don't be afraid to ask for references; that goes both ways.

And welcome!
  • Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭
    I disagree that it is as difficult as some think...just do some hw, price accurately and have references ready, being your post count is low you will probably have to send the coin (being to a well established member) first. With buying you will have to wait for your payment to fully clear first before the buyer will ship to you.
  • Options

<< <i>It is almost impossible to sell a coin here, but you can promote yours for sale elsewhere. That has some advantages in my opinion.

Can't you tell from the smart a** reply's so far that you are never going to sell a coin direct!! image >>

I disagree on both points.

1. I have sold many, many 100 coins here and purchased many, many coins, here, as well.

2a. There is nothing "smart a**" about any of the replies.

2b. There is no reason why the OP will "never...sell a coin direct".

I also disagree that the OP will be forced to send coins on approval because he is new here. Terms are always negotiable.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It is almost impossible to sell a coin here, but you can promote yours for sale elsewhere. That has some advantages in my opinion.

Can't you tell from the smart a** reply's so far that you are never going to sell a coin direct!! image >>

1. I have sold many, many 100 coins here and purchased many, many coins, here, as well.

I also disagree that the OP will be forced to send coins on approval because he is new here. Terms are always negotiable. >>

The difference of joining 10 years ago and 36000 posts and belonging to the "Country Club". I am not alone in my experience, but I am happy for you!
  • Options
    CazkaboomCazkaboom Posts: 282 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

This.

Until you build up your BST rep, be prepared to be behind the eight-ball. You may be asked to send your item to the buyer before payment is sent to you. We all started out this way. But...it is very worthwhile and you won't regret it. There are lots of good deals on here, both for buyers and sellers. It all depends on what you are selling (or looking for).

Best of luck to you, and welcome aboard! >>

This. I'm not new with coins, but new to the forum. I have been selling since the day I became a member with 0 posts. I have a great reputation on a couple other coin forums, but there are people here that do not know that. But I have been slowly but surely been building a reputation lately and silling a bunch of coins. I'm really happy I came here for that.
  • Options
    Although I've thus far only bought, I have yet to have a bad transaction. All the folks I have dealt with are of high integrity.
  • Options

<< <i>I need advice on how to buy and sell in this forum. I have been buying and selling on ebay uder the username ignaciocc going on 14 years now but I am tired of paying those ebay fees. Thanks in advance image >>

My advice:

1. Tell us whatcha got.
    2. Tell us whatcha want for it.
    3. Repeat #1 and #2 as required.
    Many, many perfect transactions with other members. Ask please.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you arrived here on a referral from an existing member with known qualifications (high post count, extended solid BST activity), you could engage them to act as an escrow agent until you have more solid footing.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

1. I have sold many, many coins here and purchased many, many coins, here, as well.

I also disagree that the OP will be forced to send coins on approval because he is new here. Terms are always negotiable. >>

The difference of joining 10 years ago and 36000 posts and belonging to the "Country Club". I am not alone in my experience, but I am happy for you! >>

This is at least your second "Country Club" reference today (apparently there is a chip on your shoulder)...and you are wrong. There is no exclusivity. If you take the time to build relationships, have quality items and/or good pricing, it does not matter who you are, where you are, and what you have to sell. Of course, building relationships takes some time, energy, and talent, and it is much easier to come here, throw up some stuff on the BST and decry the system for being unfair to the new guy.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tough to sell on the BST without shipping before payment until you have built a good BST reputation and a list of good buyer references. Initially, be prepared to ship first, but ask for and check buyer references before doing so. About the only troubled transactions I have seen on the BST involved low post members who obviously came here for the sole purpose of theivery. You just about have to prove you are not one of them. Best of luck and welcome. Check out some of the other forums here.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>
    This is at least your second "Country Club" reference today (apparently there is a chip on your shoulder)...and you are wrong. There is no exclusivity. If you take the time to build relationships, have quality items and/or good pricing, it does not matter who you are, where you are, and what you have to sell. Of course, building relationships takes some time, energy, and talent, and it is much easier to come here, throw up some stuff on the BST and decry the system for being unfair to the new guy. >>

Are you a dealer or in the commercial aspect of the business?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>
    This is at least your second "Country Club" reference today (apparently there is a chip on your shoulder)...and you are wrong. There is no exclusivity. If you take the time to build relationships, have quality items and/or good pricing, it does not matter who you are, where you are, and what you have to sell. Of course, building relationships takes some time, energy, and talent, and it is much easier to come here, throw up some stuff on the BST and decry the system for being unfair to the new guy. >>

Are you a dealer or in the commercial aspect of the business? >>

No, I am a simple collector. You?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Are you a dealer or in the commercial aspect of the business? >>

No, I am a simple collector. You? >>

Nope, same as you, but a wheeler dealer to improve my collection! No offense intended toward you. Cheers!
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's no reason a newcomer can't sell successfully on BST. It happens all the time. Common sense is the rule. Show us good pictures, describe the coin and your explain your terms, and price it reasonably.

As was stated above, buyers are cautious when dealing with a newcomer. That doesn't mean you have to mail a coin before payment. Do what you can to establish trust. If you have references, cite them. If an old timer can vouch for you point him out. If you know of a third party who might act as an escrow agent, use it.

After a few successful sales you'll have references to back up you up.

Welcome! And happy selling.
    Lance.
  • Options
    Vbowling299Vbowling299 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭
    As a collector myself that buys and sells here and there, i have not found it difficult as a newbie to buy and sell here. Take some time, get comfortable, and enjoy!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep in mind that many of the folks on here are quite knowledgeable....hence the need to grade and describe your coins accurately, and price them reasonably. They can spot a problem coin (or problem seller!) pretty quickly. Also bear in mind that many here are at least intermediate, if not advanced collectors, so the market is stronger for 'special' coins - tough dates and type coins in better grades, coins with great eye appeal, etc. The market for 'widgets', coins that can be found at any small shows or B&M, are a tougher sell.

To add, be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules posted by the moderator at the top of the page, and adhere to them. Newbies who flout the rules are not tolerated well.

Good luck to you.
    Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    I agree with what everyone here has said except Wabbit2313.
    This is a great place to buy & sell.
    If you see something here you like and are OK with the price then buy it.
    You can start to build references that way.
    I have bought many items here from many great members and feel good about them all!
    Best and welcome.
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What 99% of the responses have said so far.

* Build a GOOD reputation for yourself by participating (if you can) in the discussions in the other forum parts.
    * Get known...in a GOOD way
    * Be willing to give references for people that may be known to others that can vouch for you.
    * Be willing to give references to others as they do business with you and may need references themselves (ie...2-way street...help others out as you start becoming more established)
    * Check folks out and, if the vibes are good, think about being willing to send on approval (don't do it if the vibes aren't good....no need to potentially get ripped off).
    * Read, read, and read some more....the BST posts and the US Coin Forum (and the darkside forum and some of the others as well). You will get an idea of what folks are like and how interactions go.
    * If the item is at an uncomfortable level for you, think about being willing to use a go-between, a clearing house....someone willing to get the money and hold it while the coin is being sent and who will send the money once things are good with the coin or, if no coin or something happens, then the money goes back to the buyer.
    * Be clear in your conditions. Don't make assumptions. If you don't say shipping IS or IS NOT included, and you list a price, some folks may assume it IS included and if you go to try to add that to the cost after an agreement, there can be ill feelings. Just be very clear and concise.
    * Some folks do the paypal gift or paypal + 3% thing. Some folks think it is immoral and distasteful to use paypal gift to buy/sell goods. Understand that you may distance some folks who disagree with ripping off paypal while others will find an excuse to make it ok.
    * Try not to get into p*ssing matches....they never come out well (I've been in a few myself, so speaking from experience)
    * Use good photos.
    * Be honest in the descriptions.
    * If you are fair with others, most will treat you fair as well (when I first joined the boards, I bought a few coins from the BST....at inflated prices because I didn't spend my time doing research and didn't know better. I got ripped. Funny thing is that those folks are no longer around and I still am...and I do try to treat others fairly. So, if you plan to stay awhile, treat others fairly and it will help you).
    * Learn the board rules.....what is allowed and what isn't...and what is considered a faux pas. There will always be some folks that don't cut others any slack (usually because they screwed up in not so innocent ways and got busted...so they feel it is up to them to overly police others) but many people will start out nice with reminders then get tired of all the reminders is someone is constantly flouting the established guidelines.

Above all, realize this board is diverse and to just treat folks fairly and as how you want to be treated. There are some folks that may demand a full name, address, phone number, etc. I give my phone number to very few folks but others are much more comfortable doing so. Figure out what YOU are comfortable with and decide to deal/not deal within those guidelines.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    I'd say be prepared to negotiate ... but I'm speaking from the buyer side. image

Looking forward to seeing what you might offer. Usually quite a selection of great material here.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    I have never bought off the BST forum either but I have seen a couple coins that I would have bought or at least made fair offers on but were afraid to dip my toe in the water so to speak. I guess I am afraid of doing something wrong out of my control and then getting bashed on the forum. My computer skills are very limited so it could happen.
    So let me get this straight . Negotiate the deal through PM's, exchange adresses and telephone #, mail payment, wait on inventory.
  • Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to CU.......

I too used to sell a ton of stuff on ebay. Like you I was tired of the fees increasing every year, so I created a place for everyone to buy and sell with without the fees........

I would like to extend you an invitation to sell fee free on CoinZip.com

Alan

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    ebaybuyerebaybuyer Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭
    ive tried selling on the BST, never had much luck, i'll list an item and get a handful of low ball "pawnshop" offers, after a week of that, it gets ebay'ed. most often selling at substantially more than my original asking price here
    regardless of how many posts I have, I don't consider myself an "expert" at anything