Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Why is this not a forum rule violation

MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just have to ask, why are criticisms of the USPS, UPS, or FedEx and/or it's employees not a violation of Rule #4?

<< <i>Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings. >>

Just asking.

Comments

• Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of all those old British films about libel.

It's not libel if it is true. I think the owners of Collectors Universe are well
    aware of the shortcomings of the major package transportation services.

A person does have to be careful about postings. Increasingly, there are cases on
    sites like Angies List where somebody slams a contractor and the contractor
    sues.

Big difference between: " I wasn't satisfied with the job." and "The contractor
    is dishonest."
  • Options
    llafoellafoe Posts: 7,220 ✭✭
    I agree... your thread is a violation of the forum rules:

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

WANTED: Cincinnati Reds TEAM Cards
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Criticism isn't necessarily libel.
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PM Mr wills and ask him

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Criticism isn't necessarily libel. >>

+1
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    GreeniejrGreeniejr Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭
    Because nobody from those companies lurk here and threaten legal action if something does not portray them in the best light no matter how true the statement is.
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I agree... your thread is a violation of the forum rules:

Rule 6) This forum is about US Coins. If your post is not directly related to US Coins then this is the wrong forum. Do not post it or your posting privileges may be removed.

Rule 8) This forum is provided for the education and sharing of information. Not as a personal soapbox. If you want to learn and share information about US Coins you are welcome.

image >>

• Options

<< <i>Because nobody from those companies lurk here and threaten legal action if something does not portray them in the best light no matter how true the statement is. >>

Corporations would be in court 24/7 with very large teams of attorneys if they pursued everyone that "libeled" them... they'd also destroy their customer base.
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,526 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Criticism isn't necessarily libel. >>

• Options
    Today must be some holiday or other image

Eric
  • Options
    Looks like this thread struck a nerve with some of you.

I have seen it said on this forum MANY times things such as "those idiots at the PO don't know what they're doing" or "my coin was stolen by a UPS employee". Do you think it would be allowed to post here "those idiots at >insert any TPG< stole my coin?"

I'm just asking.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as it is not directed at a specific person or location it's still just a rant.image

Edit to add. Venting keeps many from going postal. image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

image >>

Rule 1) provided for PCGS customers to exchange information regarding ""collecting"" US coins.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    JerseyJoeJerseyJoe Posts: 460 ✭✭
    There are two rules for coin collecting.

1) never share all your information.image
    A bird sitting on a tree is never afraid of the branch breaking because it's trust is not in the branch but it's own wings.
  • Options

<< <i><< I agree... your thread is a violation of the forum rules: >>

As well as is the very post I'm asking about, i.e. criticisms/complaints/or whatever you want to call them about delivery companies, not to mention the rants about eBay. Not US Coin related either, yet tolerated here. I guess it depends on who is doing the ranting.

Also the post that are not US Coin related yet the OP or someone after the OP posts a picture of a coin and states the picture is to keep it on topic. Why are they tolerated?

Just asking.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I just have to ask, why are criticisms of the USPS, UPS, or FedEx and/or it's employees not a violation of Rule #4?

<< <i>Rule 4) Anyone making libelous remarks concerning any individual, any company, or any other entity will no longer be allowed to post. No more warnings. >>

Just asking. >>

Because they are faceless entities that everybody whines about.

It seems to me thar the goal of the rules is to keep the US Coin Forum from becoming an OPEN FORUM and it does appear to be working.

Death Announcements, Marriage Announcements, Birth Announcements, eBay dissing threads. All appear to be tolerated for whatever reasons even though they are in direct violation of Rule #4.

Does it bother me? No. Not always. Sometimes yes.

DO I care that some abuse the rules and get away with it?

Not really.

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>Does it bother me? No. Not always. Sometimes yes. DO I care that some abuse the rules and get away with it? Not really. >>

I agree 100% with 19Lyds. Like I've said, "I'm just asking". I've noticed some are tolerated, and some, like mine, are not. Would it be tolerated if I post a picture of a coin?
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    >>>Would it be tolerated if I post a picture of a coin? <<<

Yes, as long as it is not a coin associated with your avatar!imageimage
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Does it bother me? No. Not always. Sometimes yes. DO I care that some abuse the rules and get away with it? Not really. >>

I agree 100% with 19Lyds. Like I've said, "I'm just asking". I've noticed some are tolerated, and some, like mine, are not. Would it be tolerated if I post a picture of a coin? >>

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>>>>Would it be tolerated if I post a picture of a coin? <<<

Yes, as long as it is not a coin associated with your avatar!imageimage >>

Why it happens to be about the truest to life depiction of our national bird on any of our coins.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I submit coins and am free to date older or younger women. I don't care what religion they are or their political affiliation, so long as they don't mind taking dictation. I'm tired of typing here. image
  • Options
    tahoe98tahoe98 Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As long as it is not directed at a specific person or location it's still just a rant.image

Edit to add. Venting keeps many from going postal. image >>

...image
    "government is not reason, it is not eloquence-it is a force! like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master; never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action." George Washington
  • Options
    Criticism is not libel, unless you're lying.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Threads are accepted if "OT" is in the title. image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I just have to ask, why are criticisms of the USPS, UPS, or FedEx and/or it's employees not a violation of Rule #4?

Just asking. >>

Look up the definition of libel. If it's not untrue, it's not libel.
    Then, look up the proper use of it's and its.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.

I, for one, just love it when infrequent posters finally post a thread....not to share, or inform, or anything but to whine about someone else's thread.

Love it image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭
    Truth is a good defense; therefore, there is no libel, and the comments cannot be said to be libelous.
  • Options
    coinguy1989coinguy1989 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭

image >>

+1 image
  • Options

<< <i> I, for one, just love it when infrequent posters finally post a thread....not to share, or inform, or anything but to whine about someone else's thread. >>

Maybe I am what many of you would call an

<< <i>"infrequent poster" >>

. Does that preclude me from posting questions here? I have a job as well as other responsibilities that keep me from being on this board 24/7 as many seem to be. I have contributed to these boards. I'm sure if you'd take the time you could search for some of the posts I have started. I have simply asked a question about how this forum is run and have been met with some rude comments. I thank those of you who have answered my question seriously.

As far as sharing info, I have a web site that I first put up in February 2001 and update it on a constant basis. I have spent countless hours doing research, writing, taking photos, etc. I give this information away for free, as well as coins and sample slabs with my site logo. All of this is not free to me, but its free to those that want it. I have NEVER turned down anyone that has asked to use my info for research papers, publication articles, ads, etc. For everyone that asks permission to use info on my site, I find two or three more that use it without my permission, some of them have actually claimed it as their work.

Website storage and domain names are not free. I pay the expense myself so others can benefit from my research. I have NEVER asked for contributions nor do I allow ads on my site, even though I have been asked.
  • Options
    edix2001edix2001 Posts: 3,388
    Mike Wallace is completely entitled to ask his question and his observations are true. Unfortunately rules are generally arbitrary and applied in an even more arbitrary manner. C'est la vie!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file