Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

error question

What is the difference between a broadstruck and an off center? Thanks
Taylor
Also known as coinman101---
I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image

Comments

• Options
    jmcu12jmcu12 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭
    Corrected statement below
    Awarded latest "YOU SUCK!": June 11, 2014
  • Options
    Thanks so much!
    Taylor
    I am a YN and I do not want anybody to question my IQ Level! I don't know everything and came here to learn! image
  • Options
    Broadstrikes have all of the design present where off center part of the design is missing.

And correction to my previous - it can be struck both in and out of collar
  • Options

<< <i>Broadstrikes have all of the design present where off center part of the design is missing.

And correction to my previous - it can be struck both in and out of collar >>

Again, thank you!
    Taylor
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Broadstrikes have all of the design present where off center part of the design is missing.

And correction to my previous - it can be struck both in and out of collar >>

Actually off-center strikes and broadstrikes are, by definition, struck outside the collar die. Broadstrikes have all (or nearly all) of the design remaining. Off-center strikes have some of the design missing from the coin as a result of being struck outside the collar.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    Yes I stand corrected - if the collar is involved then it has to be a partial collar. Even if they look to be broadstruck.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file