Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What is it about collectors and collectibles?

I was just looking at some of the cards that I have and trying to figure out what would be some good stuff to sell. Mostly to clear up some space and more realistically to use those funds to buy more cards. My goal for the past couple of years has been one of consolidation. I've been wanting to sell off the bottom half of my collection to improve the top half with the ultimate goal of having one card (i.e. - Wagner or high grade Mantle rookie). Over these years, my focus has gone through many changes, and many peaks and valleys. There have been periods of time where I left the hobby only to be brought back in for one reason or another. As I'm looking at what I have and trying to figure out what I'm okay with parting with vs. stuff that I have that I'm not necessarily too attached too but am not quite ready to get rid of yet I go through a sea of thoughts, do I REALLY need the money right now (fortunately, I don't), am I running out of space (not yet, but rapidly approaching that level), and what am I doing keeping my semi set box of doubles of 1977-1980 Topps in mid grade?

For the most part, I don't even look at a lot of the cards I have in my set boxes. They are stacked neatly on a shelf in a closet. They are in numerical order and the good cards of the set are in some type of protective holder. They are just sitting there. But yet, I can't bring myself to part with them. Part of me says that these are my unemployment insurance. Part of me just likes knowing that I have them.

If I sold them, I'd feel like a part of me would be lost. I've put many hours into those boxes and collating and comparing each card to my doubles to make the best grade set I could (for the most part, sometimes I get lazy and if there are no obvious crease or dinged corners I just let it go).

And then sometimes I plan to just sell off the stuff that isn't worth much (1979 Topps) vs. the low hanging fruit (cards that would sell very easily, i.e. 1960s commons lot) but end up doing nothing because I figure it just isn't worth the time (and the 1979 Topps box just sits there).

To come full circle, what is it about people who collect that makes us do what we do?

I know this is a long post and if you've made it this far, thanks for reading.
I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

Comments

• Options
    I read somewhere that 8% of the population is compelled to collect. While I haven't looked into the psychological reasons for doing so, I know for sure that I am in the 8%. Like you, my collecting has shifted over the years. At one time my goal was to have two unopened boxes of OPC from 1970 to 1990. After a while I abandoned that goal since I kept opening the boxes and shifted to completing sets with the cards that I have opened. Then I bought more sets to try to upgrade my sets before currently settling on building PSA graded sets.

Of the cards and unopened boxes that I have sold, most I would buy back. I was heavy into collecting Hot Wheels in the 90's and sold my collection to build my house. Selling the Hot Wheels gave me no sense of freedom or clearing out the clutter, simplifying etc that these self help gurus go on about. Basically I just missed having them and started building my collection again a few years later.

So now I just accept that I am a collector and will always be. If I sell anything, it is just to buy something else. I'm not sure that selling all my cards and keeping just a couple would fulfill my needs. For me, the one expensive card would just be a show off piece if I didn't have the rest of the set to back it up. Take away monetary value from a set of cards, and you will find that the commons can be very interesting and nice looking cards. Of course the stars are idolized and rightly should be for their contribution to the game but too often we forget that "commons" were amazingly good players. I've always felt that a true collector appreciates complete sets while the investor/collector goes for the stars/rookie cards.
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573
    I think a lot of people on this board falls into the 8%. I agree with you that if I sold everything, I wouldn't feel a sense of freedom and most likely would end up buying a bunch of the stuff back.

I find it very difficult to ignore the financial aspect of our hobby. I think that adds to some of my enjoyment of it. I have spent countless hours scouring eBay searching for a good deal, walking past tables at shows because the prices were just so high and have felt a drug like excitement when I think I got a good deal on something I have been wanting.

Part of the enjoyment of building and selling sets is the project of putting it together either through trades or buying lots and collating them. FWIW, I have yet to sell a set that I didn't at least have doubles in. I will admit that my commons are not a huge favorite part of my collection. I like to display my higher end stuff. Parts of my office are like a museum. Granted I have cards that are virtually worthless displayed for either the sentimental value they have or I just like the way the card looks. The really good stuff is at the bank in a box. For those I have scans that I check out periodically on the registry addiction forum.

If I was offered a ridiculous sum of money for my collection, I would obviously sell what I have but then I would be thinking.....what do I do now?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • Options

<< <i>If I was offered a ridiculous sum of money for my collection, I would obviously sell what I have but then I would be thinking.....what do I do now? >>

You'd start another collection. Could be cards, could be something else.

This disease never ends, but can be in remission for short periods until you stop taking your meds.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    As a disease, it beats hell out of alcoholism or drug addiction. (not making light of those diseases, just sayin')
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    When in doubt just hang tight. Unless you are someone who always has trouble making decisions you'll
    know when it's time to make a move.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Good advice there. Wait awhile and see if it passes.

The worst thing is regretting later when it's irrretrievable. I traded away
    away a small collection about 30 years ago and it still haunts me.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭
    Three years ago, I sold my VG-EX '54 Aaron to pay for a car repair.
    I still kind of regret it and still haven't found it's replacement.
    It was one of my faves....bought it raw, subbed it to Beckett at a card show, and was elated to get a 4.5!

Each item has a story, selling an item disconnects you from a "cool" story.
  • Options
    JaktJakt Posts: 573

<< <i>Three years ago, I sold my VG-EX '54 Aaron to pay for a car repair. I still kind of regret it and still haven't found it's replacement. >>

This is every collector's nightmare.

I almost wish it were very easy to sell a card I've held onto for a while without any feelings of regret.
  • Options
    I hear ya Jakt.

Subbed my raw '60 Yaz in the same lot to beckett. Came back 8.5...I was, WOW!!
    I'll sell the car before I part with Yaz image
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What is it about collectors and collectibles? >>

My wife often wonders this? I always defer to the closet - shoes and jewelry.

I'd say our motives for collecting are numerous.

Some collect for investment/sales.

Others collect for the sheer enjoyment.

Some collect for the socially interactive satisfaction of contacting other collectors.

Some do it to preserve the past or just get in contact with their childhood - nostalgia is a powerful drug.

As was said - some are "driven" to collect - perhaps a biological imperative? It's in our collective genes?

Further motivations may be psychological fulfillment – a feeling of finding order in the chaos of life – within and without.

A need to be acknowledged may drive someone to collect and acquire special items that are noteworthy by others. As was debated a while back - some conspicuously consume for attention and power?

These are just some ideas. Many of us "are" driven to collect but we "do" enjoy it.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I hear ya Jakt.

Subbed my raw '60 Yaz in the same lot to beckett. Came back 8.5...I was, WOW!!
    I'll sell the car before I part with Yaz image >>

This is not intended to change the subject of your thread:

Hobby vs investment debate rages on. For me, it's a (addictive) hobby with hopes in the long term its a good investment.
    My son is instructed not to sell my core collection; they are intended for my future grandchildren, barring financial hardship.

So, here's one high grade Yaz that'll be off the market for 50+ years image

• Options
    For me personally, the nostalgia effect has really increased in recent years.
    Perhaps that is a by-product of the aging process. But whatever the reason,
    it's pulling hard and not easy to shake.

The cards that I owned and lost when I was younger are the ones I'm most
    interested in today. That is actually good. Because I have no interest in
    post-1990 cards and never will, I can focus on the other years.

I don't have to spend one second hearing about all the new cards coming out.
    I find that some kind of selectivity makes collecting manageable, otherwise
    I'd be totally out of control.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    *Grunch*

Despite what anyone said in this thread, its at least partially untrue. Either directly, or more likely via omission.

Its almost entirely due to level of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And interestingly most of the people on this forum seem entirely uninterested in discussing what it is that keeps them most interested.

Yeah, nostalgia, investment, interest in sports, yadda yadda yadda.

Its OCD driving things most of all.

Note that I don't particularly think OCD is bad. Not at all, depending on how it manifests itself.

Rather than negative things, OCD people often can organize things real well, can see "big picture" type stuff easier than others, can sort through minute details with amazing clarity. I know I have mental skills that other people I work with simply do not possess and part of that is my OCD manifestation. I also live in very clean, well organized environments. I have to....or at least thats what my OCD manifestation dictates.

OCD

One thing I found interesting about the above article, and something I wasn't aware of, was the association with a higher level of intelligence. And that does in fact seem to be reflected in the postings on this forum. As opposed to the typical back and forth banter and name calling that occurs on other internet forums, there is a lack of that here. And even moreso on the Net54 and other card collecting forums. Rather, there is a large amount of fact based discussion where people hold a variety of opinions derived from logical thought. Not always, but much more of the time than what I've seen elsewhere.
  • Options

<< <i>*Grunch*

Despite what anyone said in this thread, its at least partially untrue. Either directly, or more likely via omission.

Its almost entirely due to level of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. And interestingly most of the people on this forum seem entirely uninterested in discussing what it is that keeps them most interested.

Yeah, nostalgia, investment, interest in sports, yadda yadda yadda. >>

Bragging rights: owning a high grade '55 Koufax knowing that there's limited supply on the market.
    Setting goals and achieving them: Who knows if low pop vintage will really matter 25 years from now. Or if the market will be flooded with them (I doubt it tho).
    Exhilerating: owning a piece of baseball Americana...especially if it looks like it was pulled from a pack yesterday.

• Options
    Interesting take on the thread so far emar.

The low-pop phenomenon is the one that I really find fascinating.

Before the Internet and before population reports, it was anybody's guess as to what a
    low-pop card was. Evidence was largely andecdotal for most Topps cards. Some cards were
    known to be short-prints, but as for numbers of high-quality specimens it was just guessing.

Now with PSA and Beckett pop reports the "tougher" cards are more widely known for some issues.

In 1990, before grading, things like centering weren't such a big deal. You had a 1976 Brett with sharp
    corners. Today might be an 8, less likely a nine and almost surely not a 10.

Now to get to my point on low-pop: for some sets where there are still a large number of unopened
    packs, still hoarded by unopened collectors and potential sellers, the true number of PSA 10 for any
    given card is still TBD.

I really find it intersting that people will pay what they do for a PSA 10 Rickey Hendeson. Great card,
    I love the 1980 set although I'm not a true collector of post-1975 cards, but how accurate are population
    reports per post-1975 sets on PSA 10? For predictiong future value, is what we see "now" a good barometer?
    In another 10 years, what will the picture look like?

Perhaps the Henderson rookie is not a good example, people will always want it and drive the price up for a PSA 10.
    But what about the 1981 Pete Rose in PSA 10 that recently sold for $2200? I've got to think there are a bunch
    more out there, surely many times more than the population report suggests.

DaveB in St.Louis