Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Best way to complete sets?

I am down to less than 60 cards on a set I have been working on for a while now. Granted there are a few big cards that are missing, those I will probably end up buying individually. My question is for the remaining commons and semi stars; what is the best plan of attack for these?

I was thinking about buying lots from the years of the sets I'm building and fill in the gaps and possibly upgrade from what I have. In the process, yes, I will have tons of doubles (already do) and can almost build a second set (that one needs considerably more cards) but can once I complete my set, I can then sell my second set as a lot to offset any money I put into the set build.

It would be easy for me to ramble on about this philosophy, but I think my point came across with what I'm trying to do.

Is this a rational approach? Are there better methods? What do other set collectors do?
I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

Comments

• I haven't come that close yet on my sets so I'm not sure what the best way is but I'm planning on sending in my ungraded cards (commons) that I have been saving. They won't be worth more than grading fees but they will get me finished. In the mean time I'm trying to buy the highest already graded cards I can.
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What set(s) are you working on?

Joe
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • The best way to complete the set depends on the set.

• JaktJakt Posts: 573

<< <i>What set(s) are you working on? >>

1968 and 1970. The 1970 has been my primary focus recently. Not graded. Mostly VG-EX to EX-M with some higher and some lower.
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.

• << <i>

<< <i>What set(s) are you working on? >>

1968 and 1970. The 1970 has been my primary focus recently. Not graded. Mostly VG-EX to EX-M with some higher and some lower. >>

Once option for these newer sets would be Beckett.com. Buy all you can from 1 dealer, save on shipping.

Post on the Buy, Sell, Trade board here. Many people can probably help you out. VG-EX - EX-MT should not be a problem.

Dave
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    From your sig I am guessing its 60/70's stuff? If so I think Burbank Sportscards is a pretty good deal. They are consistent with card condition. If it were modren I would point you to sportlots. You can always try the BST board too. Good luck!
  • You could try sites like thebenchtrading.com and other like sites if you have like cards to trade are great. I have been working on most of my 70 sets on there. Another way I have been doing it lately is buying large lots on eBay, taking what I need from them and relisting them with the remaining cards. I currently am working on 71-77 sets so unfortunately I won't be much help to you. Otherwise if you go the buy sell trade forum you could put your needs out there and probably get a pretty good price depending on who responds if you would prefer to just purchase rather than trade. Just a couple thoughts.

Thanks,
    Josh
    I love the smell of commerce in the morning!
    - Jason Lee, "Mallrats"
  • heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭

1968 and 1970. The 1970 has been my primary focus recently. Not graded. Mostly VG-EX to EX-M with some higher and some lower.

PM ME your needs on 70 topps maybe i can help..i will look tonight
  • Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you haven't tried mickey's sportscards yet, definitely take a look.

Accurate grader at fair prices.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • billwaltonsbeardbillwaltonsbeard Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭
    COMC.com

lots of vintage there. You'll have to sift through the beaters, but there are plenty of nice ones to find. Large front and back scans of every card.
  • Cant recommend attending card shows enough, especially The National
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • One option on the commons would be to find an online seller that has a lot of the ones
    you're looking for, you would save money on postage rather than buying from a lot of
    different sellers.

Although I'm not myself a "set builder", my primary sets of interest for star cards are 1968-72.

Nice to see someone working on 1968. People seem to really like it or they hate it but it's
    my favorite.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was to convince the PSA 10 collector he didn't exist.

DaveB in St.Louis
  • Sportlots.com is a good site and is easy to use. I would suspect you should be able to find all the cards from the sets you have listed relatively easy.

Bob