Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1971 Topps Cello pack: Legit?

Just came across a ebay auction for a 1971 Topps Cello pack of 30 cards. I have very little knowledge and information on any cello packs pre-1975, was just wondering if the brain-trust here has any helpful insights on this particular auction. Does the pack look real and legit? I usually only see early 70s cellos in box form or graded in the box. Is there a reason to sell it without the box besides it being lost or destroyed? Any cello packaging pre 1973 is just clear cellophane and has no writing on it correct? Any help is appreciated, thanks guys.

link: Text
I collect vintage PSA graded SF Giants, Willie Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal and Perry. And modern players like Buster Posey, Will Clark and Barry Bonds.

youtube acct

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Linky

Damn you Dpeck. image
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This seller has sold a number of very questionable racks and cellos, including headless racks and "grocery" cellos. Don't like the way that seal looks, either. I would avoid.

Edit to add: With a discalimer like this one: We do not guarantee any 2nd party grading you are pretty much being informed up front..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    It doesn't look good to me. He should have picked up a box for it as they aren't overly expensive.

You are right that there were no graphics on the cellos for baseball prior to 1973.

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>This seller has sold a number of very questionable racks and cellos, including headless racks and "grocery" cellos. Don't like the way that seal looks, either. I would avoid. >>

On first glance his feedback is 100%, but noticing all the 1971 grocery cellos with 12 cards(which I have read to be fake), and your advice grote15 lead me to believe that it would be in my wallets best interest to avoid like the plague. Thanks for the quick responses.
    I collect vintage PSA graded SF Giants, Willie Mays, McCovey, Cepeda, Marichal and Perry. And modern players like Buster Posey, Will Clark and Barry Bonds.

youtube acct
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>This seller has sold a number of very questionable racks and cellos, including headless racks >>

Like this one?????

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    What is wrong with a rack pack with a header card? Those are optional aren't they.

Collecting:
  • Options
    Those 75 cards look a bit "rounded" on the corners! And why cut off the header card?

youtube acct
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The cards in that '75 "headless" rack are also in the wrong sections, too, as the Murray card should be in the Brock section, and Hunter should be in the Murray section..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>Those 75 cards look a bit "rounded" on the corners! And why cut off the header card? >>

They may have used a hockey or football rack and decided to cut the header off. Yeah, those cards are screaming, RED FLAG!!!

Plus, as Tim said, the cards showing are not in the usually sections.

Collecting:
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh my. That is the worst one I have seen. 100% not good. You can even see the iron marks on the cello seal. So bad!

The 1975 Rack is a close tie now. looks like he used a lighter to seal the edges.
    Really ugly stuff
  • Options

<< <i>Oh my. That is the worst one I have seen. 100% not good. You can even see the iron marks on the cello seal. So bad!

The 1975 Rack is a close tie now. looks like he used a lighter to seal the edges.
    Really ugly stuff >>

At least he is so bad most people should be able to tell. I hope he doesn't get a chance to improve.

Collecting:
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Oh my. That is the worst one I have seen. 100% not good. You can even see the iron marks on the cello seal. So bad!

Really ugly stuff >>

At least he is so bad most people should be able to tell. I hope he doesn't get a chance to improve. >>

I agree! I like it when the bad unopened product is obvious.

aconte
  • Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    Why are people buying his stuff?!?!?!?!

The cards in the packs on his auctions show actual wear!