Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

A fool and his money soon part ways

Hundreds of thousands of Pujols and modern rookie cards produced. A Pujols auto may cost $75 bucks. So because a card company decides to slap a $75 autograph on one and slap a 1/1 or 1/50, 1/150 tag on the card it is somehow worth $1,000's of dollars. BAHAHAHAHA! No thanks I will stick with Mantle, Ruth, Cobb, Young, Mays and Aaron.

Comments

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Hey now. Im not much of a modern collector but some here are. Just remember the people who pay the money for a 1 of 1 drive the market not the company that makes it.
  • epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hundreds of thousands of Pujols and modern rookie cards produced. A Pujols auto may cost $75 bucks. So because a card company decides to slap a $75 autograph on one and slap a 1/1 or 1/50, 1/150 tag on the card it is somehow worth $1,000's of dollars. BAHAHAHAHA! No thanks I will stick with Mantle, Ruth, Cobb, Young, Mays and Aaron. >>

Please, tell me when this signing is that Pujols is doing for $75 a sig... I'll take 200 signed baseballs please!

Pujols does NOT sign publically! Never has. Before he won his first MVP, he would do an annual "private" signing with the big show guys here in St. Louis... but once he starting getting hardware, that ended. Even then, it was no bats or jerseys. He was holding out for the big exclusive. Which a couple years later, he finally got with Upper Deck... remember what they were charging for Pujols signed memorabilia when they finally signed him to an exclusive??? Then, Upper Deck lost their licensing with MLB and their deals with active MLB players just seemed to go away.

I don't know what Albert does in L.A./Anaheim now... but after the Upper Deck deal went poof, the only signings he did were the annual Cardinals Winter Warm-Up show (team sponsored, otherwise he probably wouldn't show)... and then, it was a very limited number of tickets for $175 each... restricted to photos and baseballs only. If you weren't lucky enough to get a Pujols auto ticket from the Cardinals... they readily sold for $300-400 on the open market before the convention.

The only other signing he did, and still does, is a 1 hour, first-come/first-serve signing before his hitting clinic back in his hometown area by Kansas City. That's $195 for flats 8x10 or smaller or baseballs, $245 for anything else... with these further restrictions... "No bats, bases, gloves, jerseys, helmets, seats, rookie cards Please ! *** No cameras or video allowed"
  • its not for everyone
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Hundreds of thousands of Pujols and modern rookie cards produced. A Pujols auto may cost $75 bucks. So because a card company decides to slap a $75 autograph on one and slap a 1/1 or 1/50, 1/150 tag on the card it is somehow worth $1,000's of dollars. BAHAHAHAHA! No thanks I will stick with Mantle, Ruth, Cobb, Young, Mays and Aaron. >>

Please, tell me when this signing is that Pujols is doing for $75 a sig... I'll take 200 signed baseballs please!

Pujols does NOT sign publically! Never has. >>

What the heck? All he said is that you can buy a Pujols autograph for $75. This is true - just look on ebay.

• digicatdigicat Posts: 8,551 ✭✭
    Nothing like a good "your collection stinks, and you stink for collecting it!" post.
    My Giants collection want list

WTB: 2001 Leaf Rookies & Stars Longevity: Ryan Jensen #/25

<< <i>

<< <i>

What the heck? All he said is that you can buy a Pujols autograph for $75. This is true - just look on ebay. >>

You can buy a fake Pujols autograph for $75... and you can also find a full warehouse worth of other fake autographs on eBay too... many for far cheaper!

• << <i>Nothing like a good "your collection stinks, and you stink for collecting it!" post. >>

Never said anyone's collections stinks, just saying those paying 4 and 5 figure numbers for modern so called rare cards will be in for a rude awakening when they can buy for a dime on the dollar in 10 years.

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

What the heck? All he said is that you can buy a Pujols autograph for $75. This is true - just look on ebay. >>

You can buy a fake Pujols autograph for $75... and you can also find a full warehouse worth of other fake autographs on eBay too... many for far cheaper! >>

I did not mean it to just be Pujols..the Luck and RG3 autos come to mind as well.
  • scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Rookie cards, I understand the auto'd #'d thing and the collector's wanting to pay for them.

It's the weird cut signatures that I don't get.
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Nothing like a good "your collection stinks, and you stink for collecting it!" post. >>

Never said anyone's collections stinks, just saying those paying 4 and 5 figure numbers for modern so called rare cards will be in for a rude awakening when they can buy for a dime on the dollar in 10 years. >>

Not if they are buying it from funds obtained from a HELOC(which are back in force) from house where there is a mortgage payment they will stop making, live free for a few years(or longer) prior to foreclosure.

Free money is AWESOME!!!!!!
  • All these autographed rookie cards now a days is nothing but chicken scratch, I hate it. Very few take pride in their signature. Secondly, I HATE auto stickers. Every autographed card in my collection is on the card or a built in sticker. Slapping a clear sticker on a card is an insult to collectors who shell out big bucks for products.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's

<< <i>All these autographed rookie cards now a days is nothing but chicken scratch, I hate it. Very few take pride in their signature. Secondly, I HATE auto stickers. Every autographed card in my collection is on the card or a built in sticker. Slapping a clear sticker on a card is an insult to collectors who shell out big bucks for products. >>

+1

<< <i><< Nothing like a good "your collection stinks, and you stink for collecting it!" post. >>

Never said anyone's collections stinks, just saying those paying 4 and 5 figure numbers for modern so called rare cards will be in for a rude awakening when they can buy for a dime on the dollar in 10 years. >>

Yeah you did. You may not have used the word "stink", but that's pretty much what you meant.

Then again, I don't know, what's worse: telling someone they stink, or telling them that they're a fool?

• PorkinsPorkins Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Nothing like a good "your collection stinks, and you stink for collecting it!" post. >>

+1

And if I remember correctly this is the same guy who came into the GPK group break that Neil put on a few months ago only to poop on everyone for spending money on and collecting those...

• << <i>

+1

And if I remember correctly this is the same guy who came into the GPK group break that Neil put on a few months ago only to poop on everyone for spending money on and collecting those... >>

I remember and resemble that remark!!!image

Neilimage
    Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!

• << <i>

+1

And if I remember correctly this is the same guy who came into the GPK group break that Neil put on a few months ago only to poop on everyone for spending money on and collecting those... >>

GPK and 4 and 5 figure modern autos...if only there was a way to go short or buy puts.
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    I don't understand why people can't respect what other collectors collect. Or if one can't understand why another man spends his money a certain way, no need to ridicule or detract. And I say this as someone who is not into the new stuff.

To each his own.

No one can predict what anything will be worth in the future. We don't even know if a comet or tsunami will hit.

Enjoy your cards, whatever they are.

People spend money on so many things from books to art to wine to currency to sneakers to cars to women, etc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why people can't respect what other collectors collect. Or if one can't understand why another man spends his money a certain way, no need to ridicule or detract. And I say this as someone who is not into the new stuff.

To each his own.

No one can predict what anything will be worth in the future. We don't even know if a comet or tsunami will hit.

People spend money on so many things from books to art to wine to currency to sneakers to cars to women, etc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. >>

I agree with Matty. People spend a lot of money on any number of things for various reasons. That's what makes this hobby interesting. I personally wouldn't buy something like this (or anything after 1983 for that matter), but I don't feel it's appropriate to criticize those who do. Such negativity is rather unbecoming, imo, and usually somewhat condescending, too. JMO..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Not if they are buying it from funds obtained from a HELOC(which are back in force) from house where there is a mortgage payment they will stop making, live free for a few years(or longer) prior to foreclosure.

Free money is AWESOME!!!!!! >>

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that nobody is letting their house go into foreclosure so they can fuel their desire to acquire more autographed baseball cards.
  • sportscardtheorysportscardtheory Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭
    What a dumb thread. Everything's value is determined by supply and demand and everyone buys what they want to buy. To act like you are "better" than others because you pick more conservative investments makes you what, a monumental douche? Who cares what you would buy. Buy it and be happy with it without being a douche to others who spend their money differently.

• << <i>I don't understand why people can't respect what other collectors collect. Or if one can't understand why another man spends his money a certain way, no need to ridicule or detract. And I say this as someone who is not into the new stuff.

To each his own.

People spend money on so many things from books to art to wine to currency to sneakers to cars to women, etc. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. >>

+1
  • MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    Doublestriker,

The centering on your BGS 9 Jordan Fleer RC is AMAZING. Fantastic card! Just clicked your link and had to say that. Love the BGS holder for that card, too, looks great.

Best,

Matt
  • JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Pujols does NOT sign publically! Never has. Before he won his first MVP, he would do an annual "private" signing with the big show guys here in St. Louis... but once he starting getting hardware, that ended. Even then, it was no bats or jerseys. He was holding out for the big exclusive. Which a couple years later, he finally got with Upper Deck... remember what they were charging for Pujols signed memorabilia when they finally signed him to an exclusive??? Then, Upper Deck lost their licensing with MLB and their deals with active MLB players just seemed to go away.

I don't know what Albert does in L.A./Anaheim now... but after the Upper Deck deal went poof, the only signings he did were the annual Cardinals Winter Warm-Up show (team sponsored, otherwise he probably wouldn't show)... and then, it was a very limited number of tickets for $175 each... restricted to photos and baseballs only. If you weren't lucky enough to get a Pujols auto ticket from the Cardinals... they readily sold for $300-400 on the open market before the convention.

The only other signing he did, and still does, is a 1 hour, first-come/first-serve signing before his hitting clinic back in his hometown area by Kansas City. That's $195 for flats 8x10 or smaller or baseballs, $245 for anything else... with these further restrictions... "No bats, bases, gloves, jerseys, helmets, seats, rookie cards Please ! *** No cameras or video allowed" >>

If what you say is true, and you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject, my opinion of Pujols has gone WAY down. Doesn't he make enough money from PLAYING baseball? Why can't he sign for the fans? Looks like he will only sign about 1 or 2 items as well. $crew him!

Reading this just reinforces my feelings about the older players, especially Harmon Killebrew, who I met several times and was most gracious and willing to sign for me, yes, for a price. A reasonable one.

Joe the bitter old man
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that nobody is letting their house go into foreclosure so they can fuel their desire to acquire more autographed baseball cards. >>

Hmmm...they did it for Jetskis and to be able to make it rain at clubs in Vegas. Why not ball cards?
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    There are more than a few " I collect vintage so that makes me better than you" people around here...
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"

<< <i>

<< <i>

The only other signing he did, and still does, is a 1 hour, first-come/first-serve signing before his hitting clinic back in his hometown area by Kansas City. That's $195 for flats 8x10 or smaller or baseballs, $245 for anything else... with these further restrictions... "No bats, bases, gloves, jerseys, helmets, seats, rookie cards Please ! *** No cameras or video allowed" >>

If what you say is true, and you seem to be very knowledgeable on the subject, my opinion of Pujols has gone WAY down. Doesn't he make enough money from PLAYING baseball? Why can't he sign for the fans? Looks like he will only sign about 1 or 2 items as well. $crew him!

Reading this just reinforces my feelings about the older players, especially Harmon Killebrew, who I met several times and was most gracious and willing to sign for me, yes, for a price. A reasonable one.

Joe the bitter old man >>

Don't get me wrong as a Pujols fan and collector... that is based solely on my respect for his on-the-field accomplishments and where I envision his place in baseball history being when his career is said and done. My opinion on Pujols, the person, has always been low. Living in the St. Louis area his entire career, I've had the opportunity to be closer to his persona than most fans who know about his career mostly through the "national" media. Die hard Pujols apologists always tend to point back to his faith in God and his charity work. His reasons are sound, so I don't want to belittle the charity work he does for children with down syndrome... but, why doesn't/didn't he do more for other charitable causes? During his time in STL, he could have been the face of so, so many charitable causes... even if that meant he was quietly a paid face of such... but he couldn't be bothered. Chances are, if his own son didn't have down syndrome, he probably wouldn't being doing any charity work at all. Sign for the fans, before games, after games, out on the town... forget about it. St. Louis isn't anything like New York, Los Angeles, Chicago... or other big towns. It's laid back, mid-west, easy living... and yet, one of sports greatest athletes, was one of the most fan-unfriendly and inaccessable athletes in the world. Great athlete... yes. Reclusive jerk... yes.

It's that fan unfriendlyness, and inaccessability... that made his departure so reviled, and equally as quickly forgotten... and why, a guy like Stan Musial was so beloved in STL and a parade was thrown upon his death... to celebrate his life!

However, I'd hesitate to use the old player versus new player line of thinking. Character... is a flaw, shared by both new and old! With new players... there are a ton of them that are nationally beloved (and hated)... like Pujols... such as Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Greg Maddux... to name a few, that are equally as fan unfriendly. There are also a whole lot of them that are great with the fans, do lots of great charity work, do public signings that don't require you to make minor sacrificies to justify the money spent to get their signature on something.

But there are just as many fan unfriendly's with the older players... ever met Willie Mays, Bob Gibson, Hank Aaron...
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    To each their own. When I look at cards I dont think dollar signs.

Most adults look at adults who collect cardboard as foolish without reguard for date of product orgination.
  • Mdube16Mdube16 Posts: 744 ✭✭
    whats more insane....spending thousands on an autograph card with a number stamp or spending thousands on a common card worth .05 that someone said is a "10".

Beauty in the eye of the collector

• << <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that nobody is letting their house go into foreclosure so they can fuel their desire to acquire more autographed baseball cards.[/q

Not sure about their house but I did pop into a local card shop and watch a kid drop $800 chasing Panini football autographs, kid said he just got his student loan check in the mail from the government. Unfortunately he pulled only about $30 in value out of the 6 or so boxes he ripped.
  • MooseDogMooseDog Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

<< <i>there are a ton of them that are nationally beloved (and hated)... like Pujols... such as Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Greg Maddux... to name a few, that are equally as fan unfriendly. >>

As a die-hard A's fan and confirmed Yankee hater I can't believe I'm saying this but, I beg to differ on Jeter as fan-unfriendly. From what I've seen myself and heard from IP autograph friends, Jeter was, for about as long as he could, one of the nicest superstars in the game along the lines of Al Kaline, Brooks Robinson, etc. I got his autograph early in his career in Oakland, and when I thanked him, he actually said "you're welcome". I can count on one hand the number of times that has happened! However with increasing fame, bigger contracts and as the Yankees got better and better, everyone wanted a piece of him and I'm guessing he became more "unfriendly" for his own safety and sanity.

Maddox, in two encounters in person was a bit stand-offish (I was in my twenties at the time) but signed one thing each time and was far from unfriendly.

ARod has always been full of himself. I will say he exudes "star power" in person but he also play up the part like a movie star might. Seems like he's got a big, big, ego.
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    "It's ok to be a fool and part with some of your money...as long as you have lots of money"...Jack Handy

Actually I have no idea if Mr. Handy said that, but it sounds like something he would have said.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>there are a ton of them that are nationally beloved (and hated)... like Pujols... such as Derek Jeter, Alex Rodriguez, Greg Maddux... to name a few, that are equally as fan unfriendly. >>

As a die-hard A's fan and confirmed Yankee hater I can't believe I'm saying this but, I beg to differ on Jeter as fan-unfriendly. From what I've seen myself and heard from IP autograph friends, Jeter was, for about as long as he could, one of the nicest superstars in the game along the lines of Al Kaline, Brooks Robinson, etc. I got his autograph early in his career in Oakland, and when I thanked him, he actually said "you're welcome". I can count on one hand the number of times that has happened! However with increasing fame, bigger contracts and as the Yankees got better and better, everyone wanted a piece of him and I'm guessing he became more "unfriendly" for his own safety and sanity.

Maddox, in two encounters in person was a bit stand-offish (I was in my twenties at the time) but signed one thing each time and was far from unfriendly.

ARod has always been full of himself. I will say he exudes "star power" in person but he also play up the part like a movie star might. Seems like he's got a big, big, ego. >>

yeah this is the first I'm hearing of Maddux being fan unfriendly. Is he Cal Ripken? No. But that's what makes Cal Ripken Cal Ripken. I don't know about his Atlanta days, and I was a bit young to observe him in his first Cubs tenure, but when he resigned in 2004 he seemed to sign fairly regularly at the park at least on the days he didn't pitch. He was also one of those guys who would pass over adults for kids. So if you have a story about getting stiffed by him at the park he was probably seeking out the people who should be getting things signed at the yard. He's also notoriously shy. Unless you happen to be a teammate in which case he's the guy who will stroll up to a hot tub with Andre Dawson, Jerome Walton, and Dwight Smith and say "have you guys ever seen 3 black men run from one white guy?" Then procede to drop towel and unleash a steady stream into said hot tub.

<< <i>yeah this is the first I'm hearing of Maddux being fan unfriendly. Is he Cal Ripken? No. But that's what makes Cal Ripken Cal Ripken. I don't know about his Atlanta days, and I was a bit young to observe him in his first Cubs tenure, but when he resigned in 2004 he seemed to sign fairly regularly at the park at least on the days he didn't pitch. He was also one of those guys who would pass over adults for kids. So if you have a story about getting stiffed by him at the park he was probably seeking out the people who should be getting things signed at the yard. He's also notoriously shy. Unless you happen to be a teammate in which case he's the guy who will stroll up to a hot tub with Andre Dawson, Jerome Walton, and Dwight Smith and say "have you guys ever seen 3 black men run from one white guy?" Then procede to drop towel and unleash a steady stream into said hot tub. >>

Honestly, I've never been snubbed by Greg Maddux... but like you, this is the first I'm ever hearing of someone saying Maddux wasn't fan un-friendly!

He came to mind, when I originally posted, because he's the one ballplayer over the past 10 years or so that I've read dozens of forum posts, blog posts, articles on... about him being one of the most difficult signatures to get in person. Countless stories of him walking to the hotel from ballparks across the country, after games, refusing to sign anything, for anyone. Maybe it was shyness, I don't know, never met the guy or tried to get his autograph... I'm just going off the volumes of stories I've heard about him flat out refusing people... for seemingly no good reason. Last year, he did his first public signing ever... prices, if memory recalls, ranged from $149-$299... for his signature, which is basically just "scribble, scribble".

To me, that's fan-unfriendly.

P.S. - for others who have commented on my post too... please don't mistake fan-unfriendly with being an unfriendly human being... that's not what I meant (well, okay, I meant that about Bob Gibson... hands down the most vial combination of rudeness & arrogance that I've had the dishonor of doing signings with)!
  • You folks that hold your noses in the presence of modern collectors got it wrong! I have the world's greatest Jeff Weaver hoard and those prices will bounce back any day now...
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!
  • JaktJakt Posts: 573

<< <i>, I meant that about Bob Gibson... hands down the most vial combination of rudeness & arrogance that I've had the dishonor of doing signings with >>

What happened?
    I'm building a 1968 and a 1970 Topps set. I have lots of 1970s and 1960s to offer in trade.
  • fur72fur72 Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    I approached Bob Gibson at a Field of Dreams post banquet hangout. He was not the friendliest guy there. On a side note Jay Johnstone is very full of himself.

EDIT to say: Where the hell is this thread going?
  • IMHO no man should ever ask another for their autograph in public (even for their children image). Having said that, I do enjoy collecting the odd autographed cards.
    75 Minis - GET IN MY BELLY!

<< <i>Not sure about their house but I did pop into a local card shop and watch a kid drop $800 chasing Panini football autographs, kid said he just got his student loan check in the mail from the government. >>

In this case, it doesn't matter if he was buying Panini or a Mantle. The kid is an irresponsible idiot for spending his education money on cards, period.

• frankhardyfrankhardy Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just glad to see that Pujols doesn't sign rookie cards any more! That makes this card even more special! image

I knew this card was a rarity, but I didn't realize that he actually has a policy that he doesn't sign rookie cards. No wonder you never see these!

Shane

• hammeredhammered Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I don't understand why people can't respect what other collectors collect. Or if one can't understand why another man spends his money a certain way, no need to ridicule or detract. And I say this as someone who is not into the new stuff.

To each his own.

I don't need to spend money on wine and women. Once the ladies find out I have a baseball card collection, that's all the aphrodisiac I need. image