Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

PSA Grade Value Question

Hi,

I am new to card grading but am learning the best I can. I have noticed that on Ebay there is a drastic difference in the price buyers pay for centered cards versus off-centered cards. I have seen certain cards that were graded PSA 9(OC) sell for 25-40% less than cards graded PSA 9. Obviously cards are worth what people are willing to pay for them and these are Ebay buyers, but is this typically the case in the industry and is there that significant of a difference in value between centered and off-centered cards? Just wanted to get opinions.

Thanks,
Joe

Comments

• CounselorCounselor Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭
    Yes, due to eye appeal, there is much more demand for centered cards. Same can be said for color and print, but typically people will pay more of a premium for centered cards
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Joe,

On average I would say the difference between a PSA 9 and a PSA 9o/c is a lot more than 25%-40%. Very often a PSA 9 sells for many times what a PSA 9o/c would sell for.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,508 ✭✭✭✭
    in psa grading any negative qualifier is considered 2 grades less.
    example a 9oc is considered no more valuable than a psa 7.

In fact is is often even less than that

a 9 might go for $200 and a 9oc might go for 30
    Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Keep in mind what Doug is saying Joe. Your being way too conservative on the value of an off-center card. Any card with (O/C) next to the number will sell for much, much less than one without.....as all of us that have tried to sell one surely know. With that being said, a card's value is really what the buyer makes of it and not the seller. I've bought an O/C card or two before at what may have been above market value simply because it was something that was hard to find and I'd rather have the card than not have the card. If you are trying to collect something rare for your own collection you may be forced to make similar decisions.
    I'm a big Nolan Ryan fan OK???!!!
  • Thank you all for the great information and sharing your knowledge. It is very helpful and gives me even more of an appreciation for the quality and demand for well centered cards..

Thanks again,
    Joe