Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1955 Bowman Mantle - Who's pictured?

Okay, just have to throw this out there 'cause I've always felt this way: the picture on the 55 Bowman Mantle has just never struck me as looking like The Mick. I'm sure my synapses are just misfiring from years of partying or something, but every time I look at the card I say to myself, "That's just not him." It doesn't look like any other photo or card of him I've ever seen.

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like this guy
    Mantle
    He has the baby face and ears.
  • Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭
    Here is a Mantle photo from '53-'55. His face in this photo looks pretty similar to his '55 Bowman card, IMO.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont think it looks like him at all.

On the subject of Mantle cards how about his '56 card, the peeps in the right in the stands look like they are standing in a drill formation, whats the deal with that? odd looking background.
  • Options
    MattyCMattyC Posts: 1,335 ✭✭
    The early shots have the ears I'll admit but the chin on the 55 picture is sharper when in other shots it seems more rounded. The nose in all other shots has a wider bridge and rounder tip, and the 55 nose seems much thinner and sharper.

The lips also are so much thinner in the 55 whereas his mouth is so much fuller in photos such as his 52 and 53.
  • Options
    I think it's him, just a very young version.

But since Paul mentioned the 1956, I want to mention my favorite, the 1957! Who is that behind Mantle that got ink sprayed out of the background?
  • Options
    72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭
    It is tough to recognize him without a beer in his hand. But I think that it is him.
    Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    Who is the guy in the background in the 55 Bowman Mantle?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball