Home Precious Metals
Options

Tommy's shooting coins again..

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Getting a little practice before shooting up the expensive stuff.. More key chain money in stock...

COA

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats your plan for that Morgan, looks like you missed!
  • Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Green tip 5.56 ? That stuff is getting expensive.

Is that Morgan a fake? Details look soft.

<< <i>Getting a little practice before shooting up the expensive stuff.. More key chain money in stock...

image >>

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Details. We need details.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Details. We need details.image >>

Agreed... Distance, site, weapon, caliber, position etc.

Personally, I love the way copper coins splash image

Edited to add: My ICON was shot by me, 5.56 at about 50 meters. (Done while zeroing... think I got it image ) I have a few others. Two hits on a nickle and I believe I put down a dime or two.

• Options
    Yeah, I'd like to get busy making some of those myself!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Hi,
    S&W AR 15 (5.56/223) New Jersey modified. No flash suppressor, stock pinned, non-crome barrel lining, 10 shot clip standard. $725 new several months ago.
    5.56 but shooting a mix of green tips, xtac, etc. (a mag full of 223's too). 50 yards, various targets. Fun and zeroing in a new Sitemark red dot. I forgot my sandbags so It was difficult to very accurate on the awkward bench. I shot at the coins a few times. It was down right hard to focus - the gun is right on, the sites are right on, the red dot is right on, the bio matter behind it can't focus!

Good catch! The Morgan is fake. I'm not sure if I got this one from here or the coin guy at the flea market. Disappointed I messed that one up. I can start a new category (Culled, shot). Definitely want to get the accuracy down before doing an ASE or maybe I'll just cheat and do it at 25 yards. The penny is incredible by the way! The only way I'll hit one at 50yrds is if I tape 50 of them to the target.

Went through about 150 rounds, which doesn't really take long. I generally do about 3 shots, then view my results.

Shooting in New Jersey (same ole rant):
    The AR is New Jersey modified. No flash suppressor, stock pinned, non-crome barrel lining, 10 shot clip standard. $725 new several months ago.
    First you must apply for the NJ firearms ID card. This can take 3 months. With this you can purchase long arms only.
    If you would like a pistol, you must apply for a separate permit for each pistol (this includes black powder or even BB pistols)
    Now typically a person will apply for a pistol permit while applying for the firearms ID at the same time. My friend just waited 3 months.
    Any hint of anything, let alone anti depression medicine, means no. Even xanax or the like would be a problem (so now half of NJ is not allowed, hah!)

To transport, you must have the gun/rifle packaged separately in the trunk. Can only go from the home to the range and directly home again.
    Now allowed to go somewhere else, as if you were stopped for any reason, they could and do confiscate the guns. I my large
    work van I package the guns in locked cases and ammo bag all the way in the rear of the vehicle.

At home, people do everything from completely have their arms locked up away from ammo to whatever. Mine are locked up,
    but I've gone through scenarios where I can access them. However, you seriously better be getting killed first before you
    even take them out, let alone shoot someone. Even waving a gun around at an intruder outside will get you in trouble if not jail.
    If someone breaks in the middle of the night, even tries to enter your bedroom and you shoot them, they better be armed
    or you get in big trouble. Knowing this, some folks keep their guns handy and loaded. Some are very loose on rules. I'm trying
    careful so I don't spend any of my senior years in jail. There is a law against shooting zombies too.

Now folks all around me have unregistered guns. And they will continue to have them even if guns are banned and they come for mine.
    COA
  • Options
    When I hit the smaller coins... I could not see them, I only remembered where they were and shot at that location.

I used an M4 with ball 5.56, iron sites. Day time in the prone supported position.

I enjoy shooting image
  • Options
    Do you fix the coins or hold them in some way, or do you just stand them on end?

Since this is a precious metals forum, shouldn't the coins at least be silver?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    looks fun!
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    Good gosh image if I lived in a place with that many rules for guns, I'd move.

I carry on a daily basis with an extra under the seat in my truck. In my house, you can't walk 8 feet without being close to a intruder deterrent. My head is 2 feet away from a 357Mag when I lay down at night. Some call it paranoid, I call it comfort.

Oh, and when I shoot small coins, there's hardly anything left......can you say 45ACP?

Why do I carry a 45?...........Because they don't make a 46. image
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    "Why do I carry a 45?..........."

Memorable quote...".45, why have to shoot twice."

• Options

<< <i>Do you fix the coins or hold them in some way, or do you just stand them on end?

Since this is a precious metals forum, shouldn't the coins at least be silver?image >>

I put them on staples that are on the target. After I hit them I have to look for them because the go three sheets to the wind. I put Madmarty's Weenie coin on the ground leaning against the post when I shot that one... Wonder if he has a photo of it.

Ray
  • Options
    USMC_6115USMC_6115 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bushmaster AR15 Ball round from about 50 ft.. Coin was set into a log so it wouldn't move... it still did but not far.

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Couldn't this be consider the same as melting a coin, which is as I understand it is illegal?
    If it's illegal to melt a coin that has copper in it, or any coin for that matter, isn't it illegal to destroy it? I don't know...I'm asking.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    Ball round? Are they easy to find?

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those 223 rounds are intense for their size, cause I shot an ike once with a 45 , and it indented the h out of it, but did not penetrate the coin at all. too large a round.

jim
  • Options
    POM: Not if you use government loaded 5.56's.. Hey, it should have been illegal to take the silver out of the coin?

<< <i>Couldn't this be consider the same as melting a coin, which is as I understand it is illegal?
    If it's illegal to melt a coin that has copper in it, or any coin for that matter, isn't it illegal to destroy it? I don't know...I'm asking. >>

JM.. Ammo is tough to find, expensive and limited. I'm practicing before doing a silver round, but then again, what better to do with a happy birthday 84 coin!
    I taped them to the floating plywood hanging backstop. Then I had to find them after... 50yds with a red dot is still hard to do.

Guitarwes: Working on that one. I want a reasonably free state. (if that's possible)
    COA
  • Options
    If it's illegal to melt a coin that has copper in it, or any coin for that matter, isn't it illegal to destroy it? I don't know...I'm asking.

They decriminalized the melting of silver coins, back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, but I don't remember exactly when.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    They decriminalized the melting of silver coins, back in the late 1970's or early 1980's, but I don't remember exactly when.

Then why can't you melt cents made before 1982 to get the Copper out of them?

1793–1796 100% copper 13.48
    1796–1857 100% copper 10.89
    1856–1864 88% copper, 12% nickel (also known as NS-12) 4.67
    1864–1942 "bronze" (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc) 3.11
    1943 zinc-coated steel (also known as 1943 steel cent) 2.67
    1944–1946 "brass" (95% copper, 5% zinc) 3.11
    1946–1962 "bronze" (95% copper, 5% tin and zinc)
    1962–1981 "brass" (95% copper, 5% zinc)
    1982 varies: "brass" (95% copper, 5% zinc) or copper-plated zinc (97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper)[6] 3.11 or 2.5
    1983–present 97.5% zinc, 2.5% copper (core: 99.2% zinc, 0.8% copper; plating: pure copper)[7] 2.5

Turns out after some googling, you can melt them...you just can't profit from it
    So if you can melt them, but can't profit from it, what would be the point in doing so? As with everything, there's probably a loophole.

I guess this is the Law:
    "Section 331 of Title 18 of the United States code provides criminal penalties for anyone who fraudulently alters, defaces, mutilates impairs, diminishes, falsifies, scales, or lightens any of the coins coined at the Mints of the United States. This statute means that you may be violating the law if you change the appearance of the coin and fraudulently represent it to be other than the altered coin that it is. As a matter of policy, the Mint does not promote coloring, plating or altering U.S. coinage: however, there are no sanctions against such activity absent fraudulent intent."

So as long as you're not trying to sell your shot-up Eisenhower Dollar as a shot-up Morgan Dollar, you can desrtoy Govt. property.
    Laws like this make me proud to be an American image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    I'm going to sell them as shot-up coins that they are! Thanks fer checking POM.
    COA