Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What would you do ...

if you had a coin listed on eBay for a long time, and nobody seemed interested, and the person you bought it from made you an offer to buy back at the same price?

I sold a coin to a gentleman last year (PCGS secure plus slab, not raw) and I've been watching him try to sell it for double ever since. I recently found a potential buyer, so... I made him a "best offer" and explained the math in case he didn't realize. My offer was exactly the same price he paid me in 2012. I even accounted for the S&H. He didn't reply. Not even a courteous "no."

Did I do something wrong? I thought it was a fair offer, and if the roles were reversed, I might be inclined to move inventory ...
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see anything wrong with your offer or reasoning. I have made offers for half the listed value before, especially if I have that coin documented and know how much the owner obtained it for. Some accept, some bargain, some ignore. I don't worry about it too much. At the end it's either a price you agree on or it isn't.
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some people are nice, some people aren't, and some people just don't care.

I once made an offer that would be considered "lowball", except that the asking price was about 10x too high. The seller was apparently so offended that he found an item I was selling and sent me a real lowball offer. Sheesh.
  • A few thoughts...

1. It's possible your offer expired before he saw it- not everybody is online checking their eBay stuff everyday.
    2. Your attempt to explain why your offer was a good one could have been interpreted as insulting even though it wasn't intended as such.
    3. He might not be as inclined to "move inventory" as you.
    4. Some other reason- who knows?

You didn't do anything wrong, but then again, there's no way to say for sure he did either.
  • worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fair to me. I've seen the same thing happen with some talers I have sold in recent years.
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys for the reassurances.

So, what would you do? Agree to sell the coin back? or say "no, thanks" and hold out for another buyer?

Not that it matters much image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• mrpotatoheaddmrpotatoheadd Posts: 7,576 ✭✭

<< <i>So, what would you do? Agree to sell the coin back? or say "no, thanks" and hold out for another buyer? >>

Depends on whether or not I really thought I could get more money and how badly I needed to make a sale right now.