Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Parker Brothers Peg Base Ball Game - 1900s - One of my best pickups! + a Thank you to robert67

Hi everyone!

First - I would like to thank Robert(67) for a most generous gift of a really cool Podres auto card! This was out of the blue and it sure made my day. Thanx again Robert!

Next up - the game - and I'm really excited over this one! It's in superb shape and a variation to one I picked up years ago.

Parker Brothers Peg Base Ball Game - c1908

This is darn near as nice as it gets for this game with respect to condition.

The game appears to be complete except for missing the dice. I do have a "beater" with dice to add to this game.

The mechanism of this game is simple - dice - with the outcomes on the playing board and the instructions on the back of the cover.

I believe this game is "later" than the 1908 copyright - they made this particular game up to - around - the 30s - when they came out with a different version - then again in the 50s and the last edition was in 1961. I have all the editions - but the original has quite a few variations - color - slight differences in graphics - and whether the little "ship" logo is present on the cover or not?

Here's what I think is an original 1908 edition - note that there's graphics on the sides - not on the more pristine edition up top:

I also picked up a small pocket golf game - I'm looking for a "golf fan" to give it a nice home.

Thanx for viewing and again thanx Robert!
Mike

Comments

• Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭
    Wow, do you have a time machine in your back yard Mike? Cause that game looks like you just took it off the shelf. image

Great score, thanks for posting it.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • TJMACTJMAC Posts: 864 ✭✭
    I can't believe a game survived that long and looks so nice. My kids new games don't like as nice. Great pickup!
  • DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    AWESOME condition Mike. Enjoy ... I know how much you like these old games!
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • robert67robert67 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭✭
    You are most welcome sir. Mike made me feel very welcome many years ago when I first appeared on the boards as goodsport40 and I appreciate his good natured and educational posts to this day.

Another nice game too Mike!

Robert
  • SidePocketSidePocket Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭
    Awesome pickup, and that Podres auto is very nice too.

"Molon Labe"

• stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Very cool gesture by Robert and congrats on the pickup, Mike!

One thing is for sure: If stone ever loses power for a prolonged period, he and the missus will have *hours* of entertainment with those games.

So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Feeling the love on this board. Will make a very nice addition to Mikes games.
  • cpamikecpamike Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭
    Mike, you do realize that the Podres card isn't from the 50's. image

Seriously though, great gesture Robert!!! image

Mike, when I get down to Texas we are breaking out those games and playing some. I bet they are much easier than X-box 360, LOL.

Congrats on the new additions!!!
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."

Collecting:
    Any unopened Baseball cello and rack packs and boxes from the 1970's and early 1980s.