Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Who is a strong buyer of key date Canadian?

I put together some registry sets years backs of 1920-1936 vents, 1922-1936 nickels and silver dollars all the way up. I ended up selling most of the common date stuff off over they years and held onto the better stuff for my foreign box of 20 (Mexican and Canadian)

As an example, ad his isn't close to being complete I ended up keeping some CU PACKS of "devils" hair notes along with

1938 and 1947 MF PCGS MS-63 $1's
1925 PCGS MS-62 PCGS and 1926 near and far set in PCGS MS-63 nickels
Several MS-63-64 BN, RB and RD 1925 cents

So on and so forth you get the idea, but the one problem I found was everyone wanted ICCS, no PCGS and the dealer I was going to deal with years ago said he can't pay even 50% for a PCGS coin than he would for an ICCS as ICCS graded so much stricter.

So...... I cracked 9 coins our including 4 keys and 3 cents (1 each. BN, RB ad RD) and 2 nickels, including a PCGS AU-58 1925 nickel.

The 4 keys went up 1-2 points each, the 3 cents, well the BN went RB,the RB went RD and the RD stayed RD, The MS-64 common date PCGS MS-63 nickel went ICCS MS64 and well, the PCGS AU-58 key date 1925 nickel went up points to MS-63!

Not bashing ICCS, they are a good company and respected, but I got BUMPS on ALL 9 coins and 2 of the possible color designation coins went up. Obviously I was happy to sell them for 2x or more,sometime 3.7x what the PCGS offer was.

I am considering selling another group and will send them to ICCS if needed, but I am looking for a dealer to buy the coin, period. A 1921 50c piece in high end AU would be included, but I need a coin dealer who deals and buys the coin not the ICCS or PCGS holder! I watch and bid on these auctions too.

I know the market is a little soft, but it seems strong for choice,original,properly graded key dates. Would be willing to sell, trade for Canadian or even better Mexican as my box of 20 is going more towards the south of the USA boarder.

WHO DO I TALK TO HERE GUYS?

Thanks and Gracias!

TT

Comments

• Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try Lighthouse Numismatics - Greg Jones. He sells ICCS and PCGS. PM me for his email address. I've done a number of trades and purchases with him over the years.

Do you have any Victoria 50c? I'm always looking to upgrade my set.
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all the above, do I understand you actually broke PCGS slabs and released the coins into freedom?
    If so, they are now subject to everyone's grading and as we all know, "everyone" knows it better and always has more experience.
    If the coins are in a recognized slab, most "everyone" would take the stated grade as a usually solid base and either add or subtract, subject to coin in hand.
    Now, it can be a expensive argument, one way or another because when I buy an ungraded coin it is XF45. BUT when I sell that same coin ungraded it is AU58!
    Remember, a grade is only an opinion and is NOT law. and everyone has vastly differing opinions...
    A serious buyer will always buy the coin and not the slab.
    Now, you wish to sell to a dealer? WHY would you want to do that? Do you really think you get a better deal?
    Question: what will a dealer do with the coins?
    ahhhhhhh, turn around and sell them to a collector... right?
    Makes not much sense to me to purposely increase the cost of an item by involving a usually greedy middle man.

I am firstly a collector and that is why I am always buying nice Canadian coins for cash from 1858 to 1967
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭✭
    Try Sandy Campbell, Proof Positive Ltd. in Nova Scotia.
    Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    I sold them, as is in PCGS holders for 83% of Canadian Gray Sheet. Avg. is 50% for ICCS coins, luckily the dealer (not like one rude Canadian Low Baller who has an ego bigger than Canada itself whom I have unfortunately dealt with before via of here) spotted the premium quality and paid out for them. I am sure they will find some nice homes! Thanks Guys and Gals!