Home Precious Metals
Options

Does it matter to you if a silver bar doesn't have a serial number?

PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
I notice that some silver bars have serial numbers while others don't have a serial number---especially some of the news bars. Does it make any difference to you? Does the silver bar marketplace care?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

Comments

• Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    I had the same thought few weeks ago when I purchased some Sunshine Minting bars and noticed that they have the place for the serial number empty.
    It doesn't make a big difference to me and I don't think the non-serialized have less demand.
    Though, I think the serial number adds a professional touch to the bar.

In some instances, like for Engelhard and JM, the serial helps understand the year of production.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options

<< <i>I had the same thought few weeks ago when I purchased some Sunshine Minting bars and noticed that they have the place for the serial number empty.
    It doesn't make a big difference to me and I don't think the non-serialized have less demand.
    Though, I think the serial number adds a professional touch to the bar.

In some instances, like for Engelhard and JM, the serial helps understand the year of production. >>

I've seen the same on other brands---a place for the serial number but left blank. I guess they figured "Why bother?"

• Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't bother me at all. I've been buying non-serialized NTR 10 oz bars for years.

I think that the most likely explanation is that companies got tired of spending man hours on the phone/answering emails of people continually asking "is the bar with serial # xxxxxx legit???".
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does not make any difference to me.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    It doesn't matter to me one way or another.

The new Amark 10 oz bars do not have serial numbers even though they come with a raised rectangle area to receive one.
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Engelhard poured bars without a serial number are desirable and worth a premium. Stamped bars without serial numbers aren't any more desirable than those with serial numbers.
  • Options

<< <i>It doesn't matter to me one way or another.

The new Amark 10 oz bars do not have serial numbers even though they come with a raised rectangle area to receive one. >>

I'm guessing that a major customer (jewelry, silverware, etc) that buys by the ton may specify that they want serial numbers for inventory control purposes to prevent employee pilfering. Hence, there is a provision in the design for a place to put a serial number.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh, doesn't matter to me. I actually don't have any bars and the one 5ozer I did buy got scooped up by a friend at her restaraunt for her son before I could even get it home.
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭

<< <i>Stamped bars without serial numbers aren't any more desirable than those with serial numbers. >>

when i have a choice, i desire them with serial numbers.
    never stopped me from buying if they aren't.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭✭
    No preference either way, but if it has space for a number, I feel it should have one. It looks odd otherwise.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>It doesn't matter to me one way or another.

The new Amark 10 oz bars do not have serial numbers even though they come with a raised rectangle area to receive one. >>

I'm guessing that a major customer (jewelry, silverware, etc) that buys by the ton may specify that they want serial numbers for inventory control purposes to prevent employee pilfering. Hence, there is a provision in the design for a place to put a serial number. >>

That makes sense. Use one stock design, but give the customer the option of taking them numbered or unnumbered.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I log all PM purchases into a simple excel file. Description, date, misc. info, weight, price paid. Took a minute to set up the file, takes literally 10 seconds to enter data for each unique item, less for duplicates. I keep a copy on my computer, email a copy to my hotmail (outlook) email address periodically. Can access it from anywhere, it can never be stolen or lost.

I enter the serial numbers, slab number, certification number, etc. in the "misc info" column.

So I see serial numbers as a benefit.

Serial numbers are one of the little positive extraneous factors--like top tier, brand name, original packaging, vintage, unusual, cool, etc.--that I keep my eyes open for and that I buy when I can get them at "generic" prices. They can potentially help get premium dollars when I sell, but at the very least they sell faster.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without a serial number, how can you know that the bar/s is/are real? In talking to a couple of people here regarding buying gold, it was advised to buy AGEs as they are apparently easier to sell. Why would that be? Unless you get it direct from the mint, how can you be sure that an AGE is real?
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Without a serial number, how can you know that the bar/s is/are real?

Not only that, with no serial number makes it easier to be passed along if it's stolen. Of course the thief could use a tap-punch to punch out the serial number as I have sen doen on eBay before. And then to me, it makes the bar even that more suspect. I stay away from non-serialzed bars.
    Now I'm only talking about Engelhard, JM and so forth. If a Christmas round doesn't have a serial number, I could care less.
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.