Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Comments

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD.
  • Options
    ormandhormandh Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    It definitely looks like the gouges are raised lines, but it is Trompe de l'oeil-like. Apparently someone did not like the King! image -Dan
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some recognized l metallurgical expert would have a hard time convincing me that this damage or whatever one wishes to call it, is right from out of the mint.
    Maybe done at the mint by someone who had nothing else to do..Perhaps it left through "the back door" at the mint.
    PMD imo
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PMD

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could be struck with counterfeit dies that had the damage?
  • Options
    RobPRobP Posts: 483 ✭✭
    The obv. I think has been cut hard with a sharp blade at an angle. Each raised line has an associated dark line, which can be seen from different angles relative to the light source, so can be excluded as shadows. These must therefore be incuse relative to the field which would tend to exclude mint damage from polishing the die. The reverse has had less damage inflicted to give a thin incuse line only. The rev. is also more carefully done as it avoids passing over the legend which might lead you to think thatit was done to the die field, but the obv. has the lines cutting through the legend, which would be incuse on the die and therefore protected to some extent.