Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

I'm impressed with my new photobox

It allows me to turn off the LED lights on the microscope.....what are your thoughts?

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭
    Let's see a couple more photos, possibly of a lustrous coin...

Don't feel comfortable providing my opinion based off that single photo
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's see a couple more photos, possibly of a lustrous coin...

Don't feel comfortable providing my opinion based off that single photo >>

I agree. Lets see some more shots. It does look as though you might be on the right road. Did you set your white balance for your new box?
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    circ copper is one of the easiest to image

the real test comes with toners, proofs, slabs and close-ups

not bad all in all though considering some of the images i've seen, this is pretty good

don't recall the exact cost of these but i think it seemed steep when i read the post talking about this given the cost of dslr with a macro lens but it is a matter of preference for sure image

there are some that are substituting cameras with digiscopes, i personally don't recommend this

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭

<< <i>.don't recall the exact cost of these but i think it seemed steep when i read the post talking about this given the cost of dslr with a macro lens but it is a matter of preference for sure image
    >>

Just for the record the total retail cost of this set up is $627

Video of 1945 Walking Liberty Half Dollar

Here is one with no editing at all......just snap and upload

here is the same coin just switch from black to white background and did a quick 750 crop

and here is one taken of a coin in a slab

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    Are these taken with a 1.3mp Dinolite? Where does one purchase the light box?

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options

<< <i>Are these taken with a 1.3mp Dinolite? Where does one purchase the light box?

HH >>

Yes they are taken with a 1.3mp AM411T Light Box

• Options
    halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    I was playing with the 411T . . . Think I didn't have the focus just right. May dig my Ott lights out & play with them later.

Would love to see how the light box works on toners . . .

I just suck at photography and I'm looking an acceptable alternative that will pass muster with at least most of the folks here on the boards ! ! ! image

Edited to add: the pic not edited at all.

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • Options
    ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭
    Are you sharpening your images with a photo editor? They look soft from your set-up but could be enhanced a bit with post processing. image
  • Options

<< <i>Are you sharpening your images with a photo editor? They look soft from your set-up but could be enhanced a bit with post processing. image >>

The only photo editing I do is crop, resize and rename. Once in a while I will have to adjust the contrast or white balance...

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoinZip,

How does that LightBox work with slabbed coins? Is reflection a problem?

Can you post a link where I can get one?

Thanks, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it possible to shoot images in focus?
    Lance.
  • Options

<< <i>Is it possible to shoot images in focus?
    Lance. >>

With a PhotoBox? No, its not a camera.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TTT

I'd like to hear more about this, and see some more sample shots using a microscope and this lightbox thingie.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with the DSLR advice from yesterday, this is a step back, even if you are selling them on the BST.
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    What about using this lightbox with a DSLR?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    <<Just for the record the total retail cost of this set up is $627>>

This is just my opinion, but for $627 dollars I would buy a D3100 with a macro lens for the same amount of money or less.
    B&H has the kit with a 18-55 (which is useless) for $446, add a macro lens and the cost is about the same. I suspect the 3100 with good macro glass, will produce excellent images.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>Stick with the DSLR advice from yesterday, this is a step back, even if you are selling them on the BST. >>

image You will never achieve the precise sharpness and optical quality as you will from a DSLR with a good (glass) macro lens. All the best.
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This is just my opinion, but for $627 dollars I would buy a D3100 with a macro lens for the same amount of money or less.
    B&H has the kit with a 18-55 (which is useless) for $446, add a macro lens and the cost is about the same. I suspect the 3100 with good macro glass, will produce excellent images. >>

Yup, but I wouldn't buy the D3100, as it can't be tethered. D5100 body (last year's model) and a manual focus 105mm macro lens shouldn't cost more than $700.

The kit lens is nice for taking pictures of other stuff, which can come in handy for justifying the expense to someone who doesn't understand the need to take pictures of coins.
  • Options
    Tethering is a must for me when I do finally get a DSLR.

I just need a relatively compact setup that I can have next to the computer.

I got a nice copystand for free from a kind forum member but it's pretty huge.

This is the main reason a compact lightbox kind of thing caught my eye. I wasn't really shopping right now- just curious.

My wife took some spare jewelry to a jeweler a year or two ago and he had one that he used to take photos of rings. I thought it was neat, that's all. Very compact. And his pictures looked pretty good. And since I will be taking pictures of dug relics and not just coins, I wondered about that. Some of the items I will be photographing are more three-dimensional than coins, which are arguably 2-D if you don't count their edges.

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    since you asked,
    I think I can do almost as well with my iPhone and a desk lamp

LCoopie = Les
This discussion has been closed.