Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

tag on taler in HA sale

I didn't realize NGC slabs pieces with collector tags. Interesting.
Lot 24076 - regensburg free city taler

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited, not PCGS.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FWIW, that's slabbed by NGC, not PCGS. I personally don't like writing on the coin, although it does happen more than I'd like to see in ancient gold, in particular from museum pieces and hordes that are found.
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    You are correct - sorry to our host. Post corrected.

It struck me as odd because I always thought this was seen as graffiti/damage.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    Would be interesting if there was info with the coin , for what the number stands for , like: ex Museum ..... collection inventory number 46 or ex collection of mister ..... inv. nr. 46
    now its just a number / graffiti on the coin.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>You are correct - sorry to our host. Post corrected.

It struck me as odd because I always thought this was seen as graffiti/damage. >>

I think it would have been a terrible shame to dismiss this piece as graffiti and move on. On the other hand, like Andres notes, there's some history behind that number that the consignor might have known, but it wasn't included in the description.
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have seen both services slab coins with museum/collector tags, but this is the first with the tag ink still on the surface. Usually its just either a void in toning or different color toning in the shape of the tag. Interesting. I would consider this surface contamination in its present form. Still a pretty neat coin. Would be neat to trace the collection provenance from that tag.
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Would be interesting if there was info with the coin , for what the number stands for , like: ex Museum ..... collection inventory number 46 or ex collection of mister ..... inv. nr. 46
    now its just a number / graffiti on the coin. >>

I had not considered that angle. I could certainly appreciate the historical provenance if that was a known factor.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    Looks like a museum #, but could be any old collector if there's no info

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont like this as much. Why would anyone tag the coin itself.
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭
    It was common , especially in the old days, to give every item in a dutch Museum collection a tag / inventory number
    I put an inventory number on most of my items in my glass collection with black ink.
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.