Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Appearance vs Angle of Lighting

rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
In another thread I described in words what happens as the incident angle of light goes from "low" to "high". Here is a photo sequence showing the effect in 10 degree increments measured with a protractor. I used only one light to make the effect more prominent. The light is shining directly at the coin in each case, at the same distance from the coin and from approximately 9:00. I only went to 80-degrees because it would take a change of setup to achieve 90-degrees, or "axial".

Which do you prefer? Now, don't ask me "which one best represents the look of the coin in hand?" because they all do, it just depends on the angle you hold the coin to the light.

10-degrees

20-degrees

30-degrees

40-degrees

50-degrees

60-degrees

70-degrees

80-degrees

PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com

Comments

• Options
    CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭
    I don't use any special lighting......

I also use a piece of white paper for my background, the writing in your background makes it impossible for me to focus on the coin.

Coin Club Benefit auctions ..... View the Lots

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    This shows a basic advantage of a dSLR. The working distance provided by a longer focal length lens allows lighting like you see in the 80 degree image. Most compact cameras will be lucky to get to 50 degrees without the lights hitting the camera.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    60 degrees, and even better, 2 x 60 degrees at k10 and k2

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, but hard to judge a "favorite" as there are tradeoffs in each between glare and shadowing.

I'd be very interested to see the sequence repeated with TWO lights (at 9:00 and 3:00 perhaps), and
    again advancing them (together) in 10 degree increments.
  • Options

<< <i>Interesting, but hard to judge a "favorite" as there are tradeoffs in each between glare and shadowing.

I'd be very interested to see the sequence repeated with TWO lights (at 9:00 and 3:00 perhaps), and
    again advancing them (together) in 10 degree increments. >>

One thing I did not mention is that these are un-processed images (other than RAW to jpg conversion) so don't really show each photo in it's "best light". I will repeat this sequence with two lights, at 10:30 and 1:30, and do a bit of levels adjustment on each one to make the photo look more "presentable". Honestly I am not sure how the comparison will come out when each photo is optimized so it will be interesting to see.

• Options

<< <i>Fascinating study going on here.
    I prefer 10% since you see more of the coin's services ie coarseness less reflective, where as 70% hides the most with the shininess/reflectiveness. Sure 70% looks visually better but is less accurate imho ie it hides the coins imprefections, I want to see it all not just reflectiveness. >>

I like the 10-deg one as well because it shows surface characteristics that you don't normally see. I don't feel it is a replacement for a more "normal" presentation (mathematical pun intended) but as a supplementary shot it adds more information about the coin.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 10° picture shows that you need to get a Giotto's Rocket and blow the dust off the coin.
  • Options

<< <i>The 10° picture shows that you need to get a Giotto's Rocket and blow the dust off the coin. >>

Well, I have one and did use it before taking the shots, but the coin was sitting on my desk for a while and I'm doing some construction on my bathrooms so it's tough to keep the dust down. Once construction is done I'm hoping for a good redux in dust but it may take a while. Anyway, that dust did not go away with blowing with the Rocket. I expect a little would come off with compressed air can but I hate using those on raw coins as I've had too many mishaps. I could brush with a lens brush but my experience is they tend to deposit more microparticles than they remove. Bottom line is that I'd bet if I took a 10-deg shot of most any coin out there, including ones in slabs, I'd see perhaps not as much as is on this coin but a good number of micro dust particles that you don't even know are there.

• Options

<< <i>Interesting, but hard to judge a "favorite" as there are tradeoffs in each between glare and shadowing.

again advancing them (together) in 10 degree increments. >>

OK, I took another sequence with two lights at 10 and 2, and adjusted levels to match the photos a bit better to each other. Here are the results:

10-deg

20-deg

30-deg

40-deg

50-deg

60-deg

70-deg

80-deg

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I choose 55 degrees.
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for repeating the sequence! Overall, I find those shots much better. Seems like detail
    keeps increasing as one scrolls down the page. I like detail, so would vote 80 degrees.
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    80 is certainly the most flattering.
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>80 is certainly the most flattering. >>

I agree
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>80 is certainly the most flattering. >>

+2
    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    80-deg is far enough off of axial that it picks up some luster, but close enough to axial that it brings out the toning. It's also about as close as you can get with a Cent before you get direct reflections (semi-axial). This doesn't cause problems for raw coins but gives a reflection from slabbed coins that's better to avoid. If you think about it, how do you hold a coin for in-hand viewing? I hold it so that the light is just off the coin, which is exactly what 80-deg gives you. Of course I then move it around to different angles and such to examine the luster, which you can't really show with a single coin image.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

old thread

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't like any of them. Abe's face is too dark.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the 80 deg the most
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file