Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

New to this forum!

Hello everyone, I'm new to the World & Ancient forums. I usually just collect American ones, but I guess the World & Ancients bug bit me!
Anyway, here's my first world slabbed coin. It was a new purchase from an auction this past Saturday. I know the coin isn't terribly rare or anything, but I really do like the toning on it. Hope to share more in the future.
Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
Pre-Jump Grade Project
Toned Commemoratives

Comments

• Options
    Welcome to the Darkside......We have cookies!

Successful BST transactions with:CollectorsCoins, farthing, Filacoins, LordMarcovan, Duki, Spoon, Jinx86, ubercollector, hammered54
    LochNess and ProfHaroldHill

• Options
    daOnlyBGdaOnlyBG Posts: 1,060 ✭✭
    lol, thanks!
    Successful BST transactions with: blu62vette, Shortgapbob, Dolan, valente151, cucamongacoin, ajaan

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Very nice sower, they make a fine collection all by themselves. We love pictures and Newbies, welcome to the darkside.image
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    SenexSenex Posts: 483
    Welcome to the darkside!
  • Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Welcome to the Darkside......We have cookies! >>

And they have mustard stains.... image

Beware the slippery slope of French coins. They are beautiful and incredibly diverse.
  • Options
    olmanjonolmanjon Posts: 1,187
    Welcome to the darkside. Careful-you might not want to go back to the lite side again.image
    Proud recipiant of the Lord M "you suck award-March-2008"
    http://bit.ly/bxi7py
  • Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭
    This particular design seems to serve as a frequent "gateway drug" coin for luring lightside collectors over to the darkside -- the obvious similarity to the U.S. Walking Liberty half dollar design can increase the comfort level with dabbling in non-U.S. coins. I think it's a remarkable design and yours is a wonderful example. Welcome to the forum!!
    "The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome- nice coin-attractive and affordable which is a good combination

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    SmEagle1795SmEagle1795 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the dark side. I knew you would find your way over image
    Learn about our world's shared history told through the first millennium of coinage: Colosseo Collection
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those are very pretty coins...I was given one from a friend years ago for helping him out with some woodwork. Like WL halves, they are often available in neat circ grades at melt !
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the Darkside! I've seen you over on the Liteside, of course.

That's a very nice French Franc. Those "Sower" coins used to be referred to as "The French Walker" by some Litesiders here. They're a popular Darkside crossover coin, and I'm glad that one brought you here.

You've been warned about those French designs, now... they can be quite habit-forming. Ditto the Swiss.

But you won't mind slipping down that slippery slope if you do, 'cause you get lots more bang for the buck here on the Darkside.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Welcome!
  • Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome.....the darkside bug has no known cure.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. I can understand why the Franc has brought many people over- beside looking quite elegant, it didn't cost me too much (I felt like I was paying more for the holder).
    Incidentally enough... I really don't like the Walker half much. I think this Franc's lady looks a bit prettier with a more graceful gait. The details on it surpass those of many Walkers; on the latter, it's too often that you see a worn out body.. anyway, though this is my first slabbed world coin, I've had other world coins before. I'm thinking of collecting (very) early British gold, along with French and Dutch silver, with the latter two in progress.

Maybe one day I could afford to have a SmEagle1795 worthy ancient coin image

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome! Here's another sower for you:

France, 1929 20 francs
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    welcome..yup..no known cure image

Nice newp - well graded and nicely toned - holder is scratched - oh well I've gotten more than a few scratched holders upon receipt.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome! Here's another sower for you:

France, 1929 20 francs
    image >>

Awesome- it is very much a neat one. I know that US coins don't generally feature multiple leaders at the same time, but do many international coins feature them, like this one?

<< <i>Nice newp - well graded and nicely toned - holder is scratched - oh well I've gotten more than a few scratched holders upon receipt. >>

Thanks- yeah, the toning is what caught my eye at the auction. Thankfully I didn't send it in myself, so I didn't have to pay to get such a scratched-up holder. If I ever have one of those "free submission" opportunities in the future, I might ask PCGS to put a new slab on. As long as they've got those weird blue-to-white labels, though, I think I'll stay with this holder..lol

Interests:
    Pre-Jump Grade Project
    Toned Commemoratives
  • Options
    sumnomsumnom Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭
    Welcome and thanks for sharing the pic! It's very nice series.