Home Buy, Sell & Trade - Cards & Memorabilia

Space 1999

Just wondering if there are many Space 1999 fans/card collectors out there. I have a nongraded set and was thinking about getting them graded. They aren't in great shape right out of the pack so I'd probably average 7/8's. I don't think I have a single one that has a shot at a 10. That's after opening two boxes. At least the unopened wax is cheap enough.

Comments

• I own the top registry set. Here is what I've learned thus far...

UNOPENED BOXES
    -> it is not uncommon to open packs that are entirely unsuitable for grading due to either gum runoff, extreme off-centering or frayed edges
    -> As such, spending more than $50-60 for an unopened box is quite simply too high and too much of a risk

RAW SINGLES
    -> Though not impossible to find PSA 10-suitable specimens (I currently have 59/66 in PSA 10), there are a few numbers that are extremely problematic
    -> Cards 1-6 especially are routinely miscut and that's on top of centering issues. Card number 1 has yet to be found in PSA 10 but has been found multiple times in PSA 9. In my opinion, cards 5 and 6 are even harder to obtain in high-grade followed by numbers 2-4.
    -> Cards numbers 10, 12, 14, and to a lesser extent numbers 38 and 48 are also problematic due to centering issues

Building a PSA-graded set can be difficult if you are focusing on PSA 10's. If you are OK with an all PSA 9 NQ set it is much more realistic of a project save for the aformentioned 11 card numbers which are easy to obtain in PSA 8 but much harder in PSA 9.