Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Walker-a-Thon in April [Prices Realized Update]

JBNJBN Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
I’ve commented on the recent surge in high grade/low population WLHs in the late-date range of issues. Recent sales:

The eighth 33-S in MS67 – sold for $10500 (Over $12K with premium). A 'meh' piece.

The 1935-S issue in MS67 – the GBW piece and my piece were recently joined by this third piece, which sold for $35K (Over $41K with premium). This is a nice piece. Congratulations to the new owner.

I also previously posted a thread highlighting the sixth 1943 in MS68 CAC (the one with the ill-located toning spot) which recently sold for $10K ($11750 with premium).

The upcoming Heritage Auction features a raft of these recently made WLHs. April auction listings:

The seventh 34-S in MS67 (nice piece – mine, the Dawson Oskey piece [recently re-holdered], and this piece are the three CAC pieces):

34-S

$24000/$28200.

The seventh 36-S in MS67 (meh) EDITED: THIS IS NOT THE SEVENTH 36-S. THIS IS A PREVIOUSLY KNOWN 36-S. MY MISTAKE. 7TH EXAMPLE REMAINS UNKNOWN TO ME]:

36-S

$17000/$19975.

Note: An eighth 36-S in MS67 has been made.

The seventh 40-S [five in MS67, two in MS67+] (Very good looking half dollar):

40-S

$30000/$35250.

The seventh 41-S in MS67 (meh):

41-S

$24000/$28200.

The second 42-S, joining the previously unique piece residing in the #1 LuLu short set (I’m TOTALLY UNDERWHELMED):

42-S

This 42-S will be especially interesting to watch - to gauge just how much the PCGS holder is worth by itself (check the recent NGC 42-S MS67 pieces that sold and are listed in the Heritage auction history - all but one appear nicer than the PCGS piece). To my mind, any amount over $15K corresponds to the value of the PCGS holder. However, the opportunity to place a serious Registry Set challenge to the LuLu short set may send this piece skyrocketing like the 44 in MS68 did a year or two ago. I'll be watching.

$40000/$47000.

In fact, all these coins should be fun to watch.

The only remaining coin not yet surfacing is the eighth 34 in MS68.

Finally, a 47 in MS67+ (pop 1 coin) with extravagent toning has appeared and is up for auction.

$13000/$15275. [Now, THATS a premium for color and a plus!]

Comments

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just came across this thread -- some pops are starting to swell a little. Although there are a lot of Walker enthusiasts, too many easy upgrades certainly makes me nervous. I would agree with your assessments, but you know as well as anyone that some images just don't tell the story so some of these may be better than imaged. The 47 in 67+ is interesting -- I like that type of deep toning but would characterize it as "not-for-everybody" and a type that doesn't always get rewarded by PCGS.

Good thread and thanks for keeping an eye on the pops -- I'm lazy and just count on you to keep us up-to-date.image

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    Thanks for bringing the thread back up. When I first posted, Heritage had not put shots of the holders up for the lots.

After doing some additional bookkeeping, I noted the auction 36-S has already been 'out' and that this example is not the recently made 7th issue. For this issue, there is the GBW piece, the Dawson Oskey piece, the auction piece, the Cajun Collection piece, the Forsythe piece, and my example. Hopefully, the seventh piece will surface at some point.

Thanks again Jeff.
  • Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Watching with great interest. My tendency is to go for the most eye appealing coins regardless if it's a grade shy of top pop. Time will tell is that strategy works.

Thanks for laying this out.

MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Watching with great interest. My tendency is to go for the most eye appealing coins regardless if it's a grade shy of top pop. Time will tell is that strategy works.

Thanks for laying this out.

MJ >>

Once you get above MS 66, especially in the intermediate dates, that is a TON of BUCKS for something that may or MAY NOT be any better. i.e. 5K for a 35-S 66 vs. 42K for a 67!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting lot there. I actually like the 40-S and the 41-S, decent strikes don't hurt. I'm wondering how the luster is on the '47, if that toning mutes the luster, then its a image for me.
  • Options
    Updated w/prices realized.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file