Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Anyone here cherrypick this R5+ CBH on eBay?

Just scrolling through old BIN listings and I come across this. Pretty bummed I missed it... image

Anyone here happen to be the lucky dog who 'picked it? I believe the listing is a couple months old.

For anyone who doesn't know, this coin is worth upwards of $2000

link to listing

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.

Comments

• Options
    Tdec1000Tdec1000 Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭
    Sweet coin!
    Awarded the coveted "You Suck" Award on 22 Oct 2010 for finding a 1942/1 D Dime in silver, and on 7 Feb 2011 Cherrypicking a 1914 MPL Cent on Ebay!

Successful BST Transactions!SIconbuster, Meltdown, Mission16, slothman2000, RGjohn, braddick, au58lover, allcoinsrule, commemdude, gerard, lablade, PCcoins, greencopper, kaz, tydye, cucamongacoin, mkman123, SeaEaglecoins, Doh!, AnkurJ, Airplanenut, ArizonaJack, JJM,Tee135,LordMarcovan, Swampboy, piecesofme, Ahrensdad,
  • Options
    cameron12xcameron12x Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. What attributes make it a R-5? The die breaks?
  • Options
    astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang ... that's a really nice midgrade O-109.

Wasn't me ... bummer!
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dang ... that's a really nice midgrade O-109.

Wasn't me ... bummer! >>

Nor me.

The die marriage itself is R-5+ (31 to 46 known examples), but by qualifying for a graded slab this example is even rarer than most. Of the approximately 40 examples of the 23 O-109 known probably 30 to 35 of them would require a details holder. Someone got a STEAL!

Edit:
    I don't recognize the buyer's name; looks like he mostly buys ancients. Hopefully, the new owner knows what he got.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting. What attributes make it a R-5? The die breaks? >>

Yes, but if your coin has these die cracks, you're only a step closer to attributing it - these cracks don't guarantee you have an O.109.

Because the same obverse die was used to strike the O.108 (which is only an R2), in late die-states, the O.108a exhibits the same die cracks as the O.109.

If your coin has a full inner-right serif on A2 (the first A in "AMERICA") you have the rare variety. If it is missing this serif, you have the common O.108a.
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hopefully, the new owner knows what he got.

Hopefully, he DOESN'T know what he got, and relists it for 2x his purchase price in an attempt to flip it. image
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully, the new owner knows what he got.

Hopefully, he DOESN'T know what he got, and relists it for 2x his purchase price in an attempt to flip it. image >>

Well, there is that.image
  • Options

<< <i>Hopefully, the new owner knows what he got.

Hopefully, he DOESN'T know what he got, and relists it for 2x his purchase price in an attempt to flip it. image >>

I'll make sure not to miss it that time image
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The expression on that portrait just slays me. Kind of reminds me of someone I know.
  • Options
    coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,664 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sheez, I have been looking at all the different varieties here for years.
    I think I may have to learn and start scanning the netimage

Heck of a cherry pick!!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I doubt the seller reads the boards, but what a can of worms might be opened up if they did and the sale was canceled.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

<< <i>I doubt the seller reads the boards, but what a can of worms might be opened up if they did and the sale was canceled. >>

In this case the sale was in early January and feedback has been left by both parties, so I would think that it was completed. I agree with you that sometimes the board members seem to jump the gun when reporting a sale like this, though.
  • Options
    crypto79crypto79 Posts: 8,623
    Rev pic please
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Interesting. What attributes make it a R-5? The die breaks? >>

Yes, but if your coin has these die cracks, you're only a step closer to attributing it - these cracks don't guarantee you have an O.109.

Because the same obverse die was used to strike the O.108 (which is only an R2), in late die-states, the O.108a exhibits the same die cracks as the O.109.

If your coin has a full inner-right serif on A2 (the first A in "AMERICA") you have the rare variety. If it is missing this serif, you have the common O.108a. >>

Well, it appears from looking at the enlarged view of the reverse in the original listing that BHB didn't have any difficulty making that distinction. The coin is O.109.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• Options
    It was listed as a Buy-It Now and someone snagged it.

If it was listed in an auction type listing for 5 or 7 days
    it wouldn't have slipped by most CBH collectors. ( including myself...)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't usually get that lucky , but kudos to who does. image Knowledge is a powerful tool in the advancement of mankind's well being. Sharing that knowledge can only be born of goodwill.
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    This is the O.109 I picked raw off ebay a few years back, paying almost twice what the lucky person did for the PCGS in the OP. I was happy to get it - still am - but the slabbed VF for common money in the OP is enough to make a guy a little queasy in the stomach with envy and inspired to keep looking!

zap

zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    I got mine unattributed off of Ebay in 1999 but paid a bit over $1800 for it...
  • Options
    DKRC's got it now - link

Kind of curious to know if he picked or purchased it from whoever picked it off eBay image

His asking price is fair, too. Wish I had the $$$ image
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dang, no one sent it in for attrib. guess there is no need, just surprised me. maybe someone will crack it and put it in their collection.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice coin but it wasent me. bummer to

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file