Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Carriage Horse

A fairly mundane design, but I did not have an example. I have no idea what appears to be an abbreviation means, on the obverse; Prote.p

imageimage

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now how d'you get off on callin' that a carriage horse, when there ain't no carriage? image

Srsly, tho', that's a very lovely design and amazingly executed. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheval de trait means, I believe, carriage horse. Note the high stepping depiction.

DPOTD
  • Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Tried searching to learn the meaning of "protep" or "proter" and found bupkiss. But I did learn that Bourbonnais is the region of France where (1) the race took place, or (2) the horse breed is from. Apparently different regions are known for different breeds of horse, and/or those breeds are named for their region of origin.

I'm thinking Protep might be the name of the horse shown on the foreground.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also thought that it may be the name of the horse. Another possibility is hinted by the different size of the final P. As in the case of the Edward VII medal posted elsewhere, I have noted that a smaller final letter indicates that the word is abbreviated.

DPOTD