Home Testing Forum
Options

Test rb TX

StaircoinsStaircoins Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭
The Rowe-Barr Collection of Texas Currency at the DeGolyer Library at Southern Methodist University is now scanned and available online!

Assembled over the years by noted Texas collector and dealer John Rowe, and donated to SMU by Rowe and his brother-in-law B.B. Barr, the collection represents by far the most complete assemblage of obsolete currency, warrants and related fiscal items from Pre-Republic, Republic and Confederate era Texas in one place, and now available to the public for study.

Although it's difficult to choose favorites from the more than 1000 items represented, a few personal special items of note include ...

... and the above barely scratches the surface.

Bernie,

It's possible - but not easy - to get the full resolution images from the SMU site. Here's how I did it:

1) Pull up the image of the note and zoom in.

2) Right-click and choose 'Properties', then highlight and copy the URL of the image

3) Paste the image into the address field of your browser, but take note of three components of the URL
a) DMSCALE
b) DMWIDTH
c) DMHEIGHT

The DMSCALE number will be a percentage of the original size of the image, and the DMWIDTH and DM HEIGHT are the width and height of the image in pixels.

4) To get a different size image, scale up each of the variables in the URL accordingly. Then adjust as needed to get the full image.

For example, look at the following note: Thos. F. Hudson Two Dollars

The URL for the pic as shown is: http://digitalcollections.smu.edu/utils/ajaxhelper/?CISOROOT=tbn&CISOPTR=869&action=2&DMSCALE=20&DMWIDTH=512&DMHEIGHT=512&DMX=0&DMY=0&DMTEXT=&DMROTATE=0

This means that at 20 percent, the image is 512 x 512, like this:

So at 100 percent, the image should be 2560 x 2560. In fact, the description on the page says that the image was scanned at 3000 pixels along the long edge. So by adjusting the variables in the URL accordingly, I ended up with the following, which gets the whole note:

Comments

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    h
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.