Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

New GB bank dollar w/chops

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've been searching around for a nice circ Great Britain stamped ocho and came across this, stamped and chopped ! Just the thing my collection needed !

imageimage

Comments

• bidaskbidask Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭✭
    cool coinimage
    I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome. Love it. Looks similar to this piece.
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    What a great piece with all the chops. Hadn't thought about chops on the bank dollars before so appreciate the education. Congrats on a great pickup.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    very nice-

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Awesome. Love it. Looks similar to this piece. >>

Those octoganals are cooler than cool ! These small oval stamps are much more common, but this is the
    first I've seen with chop marks ...anybody here have any more to show ?
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one who thinks this is a silver plated copper core counterfeit? The details seem correct, but red oxidation on the reverse, for example, is unusual. There are different length dentils on the reverse near the "F" in the assayer initials, as well. I haven't researched GIII punches, so can't speak for the authenticity of the counterstamp.

Can you post images of the edge and the weight? Would be really nice to see into that test cut at 12 o'clock on the obverse.
    This is a very intriguing development...!
    I don't have a weight yet, except to say that it feels right in hand. I also made a Very tiny pin scratch down in the rim test ding and saw bright silver under glass.
    I suspect that my white balance is a tad off, and there is a good amount of orangish crust on the coin that may be giving my images a copperish look.

I had always assumed that the rust stains occasionally seen on these coins was due to alloying issues paired with regular old environmental damage. I'd imagine that when large quantities
    of silver made there way across the globe, to and from one tropical environment to another, many of them probably wound up looking pretty bad !
    Could be why so many chopped coins are often cleaned to death...

Here is a closer pic of the short dentil and some of the rust..

Here is a pic of another chopped milled dollar I own with a large rust stain

The edge, and a bit of "fresh" silver down in the test cut
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, that coin has a lot goin' on. All that and CircCam contrast, too! image

Too bad George III got hit afterwards by some of those little squarish punches.

Man, if that one could talk, eh? Neat.

You're on a roll, here.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>Wow, that coin has a lot goin' on. All that and CircCam contrast, too! image

Too bad George III got hit afterwards by some of those little squarish punches.

Man, if that one could talk, eh? Neat.

You're on a roll, here. >>

I thought of you right away LM !
    This little guy is SO close to being a double circ cam !
    Thinking I may carry it around in my pocket for awhile and see if that might come to be image

True about the square punch, but at least they missed his face !
  • OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have come across a few of these, even one that NGC said had a fake king george countermark. This is the only one I've found that wasn't beat to pieces both wear and chops. Just a scan but you get the idea.

Original Dan, I like that one alot ! It looks to be in very nice shape....a better grade bank dollar like that one is definately on my wish list !

Any further thought on the authenticity of the one I posted...anybody ?
    NEN has three graded (tho unchopped) examples currently. This one is the prettiest, in my opinion:

imageimage

Great Britain 1797-99 (ND) Silver Dollar C/S on Bolivia 8 Reales ESC-131
    NGC XF45
    Host coin a 1795-PTS PR 8 Reales, S-3765A.
    Deep antique patina, Spink lists at 650 pounds in VF. $1,150
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
    Weiss, I've had serious thoughts of calling about that very coin ! It's my fave of the three as well...I'd have to give something up to do so, so i haven't been able to pull the trigger
    so to speak. NEN is a great company to work with, very fair on trade deals in my experience.

<< <i>Weiss, I've had serious thoughts of calling about that very coin ! It's my fave of the three as well...I'd have to give something up to do so, so i haven't been able to pull the trigger
    so to speak. NEN is a great company to work with, very fair on trade deals in my experience. >>

I hear you. I don't collect anything like these pieces, but that one is so striking (pardon the pun) that I thought about it buying it, too. I've bought a couple of pieces from NEN and they are great to work with.

You can bet with this post it'll be gone in a day or two image
    --Severian the Lame
  • DentuckDentuck Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭
    "The Bank to make its dollars pass
    Stamped the head of a fool
    On the neck of an ---."

<< <i>You can bet with this post it'll be gone in a day or two image >>

Seriously...but there will be more !
    Hey, haven't had a chance to look at the pictures on a big screen - the phone is not the best device to do this. I'll find some time tonight to go through what you've posted. Any chance you have the weight? Also, you mention that you did a scratch test - if you don't mind scratching, can you do it inside one of the test cuts and not on the edge? Although the cut is deep enough that if it was plating, you should be able to see the lesser core under a loupe.
    I haven't weighed it yet...but the scatch test down in the test cut came up silver under the crust. I think it's real, but I still have to check the weight.
    It's probably ok, then. Still a few red flags for me, but most likely genuine.