Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Is this a Israeli coin or a token ?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is this a Israeli coin or a token ? >>

Neither. It's a cast bronze falus from Morocco.

PS- That date appears to be 1290 AH. How big is it? It could be a 4-falus piece, KM# (C) 166.1.

That goes $2.00 G, $3.50 VG, $6.00 F, $10.00 VF in my 2009 Krause. They made a similar looking 2-falus piece, which would be a bit smaller (22-23 mm for the 2-falus versus 27-29 mm for the 4-falus), but I don't see AH 1290 listed for the 2-falus. So it seems likely to be the 4.

BTW 1290 AH = 1873/74 AD.

The six-pointed star on these is the Seal of Solomon. I can see why you'd think of it as the Star of David, though.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    levinlllevinll Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭
    It's a 4 Falus coin.

Thanks for the assistance !
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Rob, Solomon was one of the [Jewish] kings of Israel. King David, King Solomon, they all used the same "Magen David" symbol or "Star of David." It's a common Hebrew symbol used in many places, including the Israeli flag.

There are some African tribes that use the symbol... and there are Jewish tribes that migrated to northern and northwestern Africa, specifically Ethiopia, and brought the six-pointed star with them. It's still the same Star of David though.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE