Home Precious Metals
Options

Is it considered rude to bring a scale to a B&M

mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
I have never done it, I'm wondering if they would allow me to weigh the bullion before I purchase. Do you think that would hurt the relationship?

Ray

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it would be like bringing a scale to the deli. Weird. MJ
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    Bring whatever you want, scales, books, Ipads.
    I leave a digital scale on my counter for anyone to use..
    Also the Gray sheet and Red book is available to anyone here..
    Support your local Coin Shop
    LM-ANA3242-CSNS308-MSNS226-ICTA
  • Options
    fiveNdimefiveNdime Posts: 1,088 ✭✭
    my local B&M has a scale and a balance.
    they had no problem letting me use it.
    BST transactions: guitarwes; glmmcowan; coiny; nibanny; messydesk
  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    I don't know about other states, but in Ga. the scales that buy precious metals are supposed to be calibrated and stamped approved by the state. There's a big green sticker on them. The B&M's around here will let you use their scales if you request. I'm sure if you want to bring your own scale, most wouldn't mind. There are probably a few exceptions with some dealers unwilling to cooperate.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that most dealers would allow it, but it might be diplomatic to ask in advance if it is OK.

Also, if you expect to take a great deal of time to do this, pay for everything before you start to weigh, so that he does not have to stand there keeping an eye on HIS merchandise, and do not, repeat, DO NOT do this during the dealer's busy times. Ask him when would be a good time to do it. First thing in the morning is usually good.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would not have a problem with a customer weighing a purchase of bullion.

I have had a few ask if it was okay, I said yes.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it would be a problem with most dealers.

I do recall one time as a PM newbie I was in a Las Vegas pawn shop (not THE famous LV pawn shop, some random one near freemont street) and saw a single, extremely generic looking 1 oz silver bar. Color looked odd and it had no brand stamp, just ".999 1 oz" on it. I asked to see it, attempted some ping tests by flicking and dropping it on the counter. The woman store owner got irate and asked if I thought she was selling fakes. I told her of course not, I'm just doing my own due diligence. I didn't purchase the bar.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    OnlyGoldIsMoneyOnlyGoldIsMoney Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I take this Victorian era balance to coin shows when shopping for full and half sovereigns. No one seems to mind.

• Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,240 ✭✭✭
    OGIM, that's purdy darn cool!
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options

<< <i>I take this Victorian era balance to coin shows when shopping for full and half sovereigns. No one seems to mind.

image >>

Neat!