Home Sports Talk
Options

March 22, 1993

Today is the 20th anniversary of the boating accident that took the lives of Steve Olin and Tim Crews.

Comments

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    That also happens to have been my 13th birthday image
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    Being 5 days shy of 13 at the time, and not watching much TV and having no ESPN, I don't recall this at all.
  • Options
    I remember it well. Every spring training I think about it. Bobby Ojeda was the third pitcher in the boat and the only survivor. Ojeda was beloved in NY so when the story broke it was all over the NY papers and TV. Ojeda was the pitcher who severed a finger on his pitching hand years earlier in a freak gardening accident and had it re-attached. There was always a sense of bad luck surrounding Ojeda. And he turned out to be the sole survivor. He vanished for a while in '93 due to the survivor's guilt and I don't think he was ever the same again.

Steve Olin is one of those 'what could have been' cases. He had a unique pitching approach--he was a side armer who was only getting better. Olin was the closer. Crews had just signed on for middle relief that off season I think. Both were going to be significant in Cleveland's rebuilt/reinforced squad.

Without getting into too much detail about the accident here, just google Steve Olin Tim Crews.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options

<< <i>I remember it well. Every spring training I think about it. Bobby Ojeda was the third pitcher in the boat and the only survivor. Ojeda was beloved in NY so when the story broke it was all over the NY papers and TV. Ojeda was the pitcher who severed a finger on his pitching hand years earlier in a freak gardening accident and had it re-attached. There was always a sense of bad luck surrounding Ojeda. And he turned out to be the sole survivor. He vanished for a while in '93 due to the survivor's guilt and I don't think he was ever the same again.

Steve Olin is one of those 'what could have been' cases. He had a unique pitching approach--he was a side armer who was only getting better. Olin was the closer. Crews had just signed on for middle relief that off season I think. Both were going to be significant in Cleveland's rebuilt/reinforced squad.

Without getting into too much detail about the accident here, just google Steve Olin Tim Crews. >>

Well said my friend. I recall living in California at the time, a junior in high school. A transplant from Ohio, I cried.
    Looking for 1950 Bowman football PSA 7's
  • Options
    RIP Steve and Tim.
  • Options
    orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was 10 days old. Don't remember this.
    What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Boats can be dangerous when not carefully operated.
  • Options
    CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070

<< <i>Boats can be dangerous when not carefully operated. >>

Butter knives as well