Home Precious Metals
Options

eBay fees to go up again next month

fee calculator

Link might not work with the example I pre-filled.

Select the Coins category (that's the category for bullion too)
Select Basic Store, Fixed Price format, $500 for the final value.
Select Standard shipping and enter $5.

You will see the difference in what it costs now vs. starting next month. Doesn't seem like alot, but multiply it by hundreds of thousands of transactions, if not more that will happen in a day just in this category, and you will then see the greed of eBay before your eyes.

Might not be worth having basic store anymore...don't forget they are charging you $16/month just to have the store. I guess it'll depend on how much you'd sell on eBay if it is worth keeping or not. If you don't sell much, the new flat rate of 10% and not having a store might be better.
To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.

Comments

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,209 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sell coins in the $1500-3000 range. I find it best to not have a store and to sell fixed price buy it now.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I sell coins in the $1500-3000 range, about 10 transactions a month. I find it best to not have a store and to sell fixed price buy it now

I sell maybe 10-15 items a month in the $70-$700 range. Currently, depending on the fvf, my eBay fee would be as low as 4% with the basic store and discounts for being a top rated seller.
    Now it's going to be a flat 7% fee no matter what the hammer is image Still better than 10% but the greed and lack of competition they have revolts me.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I've been selling a range of coins, mostly in the $10-200 range almost all in fixed price listings. No store subscription yet. FVFs were a bit higher for the under $200 items, but control over what they sell for is worth much more than that, IMO.

I'll be moving to a basic store so I don't get bent over on the new higher FVFs on what I typically sell.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    66Tbird66Tbird Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭
    Well, the eBay ride is about over for me. Doubling the fvf fee's is to much for me.
    Need something designed and 3D printed?
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great....again? My store items are in the 20-300 with a few $1000+ items every now and then. I sell 5-20 items a day and have been tempted to turn to it as a full time job. I have a 2nd tier store for lower cost fixed price listings to make up for the fee I have a larger inventory, about 450-550 items listed at a time. I only list items on the weekends and ship during the week before work.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I sell coins in the $1500-3000 range, about 10 transactions a month. I find it best to not have a store and to sell fixed price buy it now

I sell maybe 10-15 items a month in the $70-$700 range. Currently, depending on the fvf, my eBay fee would be as low as 4% with the basic store and discounts for being a top rated seller.
    Now it's going to be a flat 7% fee no matter what the hammer is image Still better than 10% but the greed and lack of competition they have revolts me. >>

eBay has been sued in the past as an "alleged monopoly". It's sure to happen again as they test the waters with ever higher fees. I see them pushing FVF to 15% for non-store owners over the next few years. They operate (effectively) as a unregulated monopoly. That means higher and higher fees for all who use their service.

Less money in your pocket (fees) means more money in ours (profits). It's the nature of the game.
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    I'll be moving to a basic store so I don't get bent over on the new higher FVFs on what I typically sell

For someone like you, it will be better for awhile, until they change the rules of the game again. I just wish there was another place that could be trusted and regulated (from within, I will give them that) that was as much of a household name. Amazon just doesn't cut it for what we mostly sell here.
  • Options
    CyStaterCyStater Posts: 681 ✭✭✭
    Anyone see an Etsy storefront as a viable alternative? I looked at it but haven't listed anything. You can set up a free store. Each listing is 20C. You pay 3% of final hammer plus PP fees. It isn't auction format, only fixed. Plus only "vintage" items are allowed but I think that starts with 20 years old and would cover most coins. I see some coins, notes, and bullion on there now. I have no idea what kind of eyeball traffic they get, I would imagine it is no where even close to eBay.