Home Testing Forum
Options

Wikiset discussion thread draft

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭
Let's see if we can "compete" with Louis Eliasberg and the all-time greats on the "big set"- the "everything" set on the Registry.

I am referring to the U.S. Coins Complete Set with Major Varieties, Circulation Strikes and Proof (1792-present).

We won't be competing in this set individually, but collectively (no pun intended).

And not competitively by grade (though higher grade coins are nice), but merely on the percentage of completion.

By volume, in other words.

Anything goes, gradewise, so everyone with PCGS US coin(s) that fit can participate.

If you see an empty slot in the Wikiset and you have a coin to fill it, you can claim that real estate as your own and nobody can "bump" your coin from the set unless you agree to it. This way you can become at least a tiny stakeholder in what should most likely become one of the more interesting collections on the Registry. Even a PO01 coin can have the prestige of being a Wikiset inclusion, if you're the first to claim the slot.

I hereby volunteer as our "Registrar" and will start us off with my 1804 Spiked Chin half cent in VF20. (It just so happens to be the only PCGS graded US coin I own for the moment, as of this posting, but of course that fluctuates.) We made our debut at #66 with my one modest addition.

Want to play? PM me your cert numbers and your pictures. Let's say no more than five coins per PM per member, in case I get overwhelmed.

Rules and suggested guidelines:

1. First and most obviously, all PCGS Set Registry rules apply. This collection will be null and void if PCGS management deems it so for any reason.

2. You must have ownership of the coin, and agree to allow me to register it in "our" behalf. (We'll do this under the "agent with permission to represent a collection" clause.) If you sell it, we have to delete it. Obviously, it cannot be registered to any of your other sets or I won't be able to register it in the Wikiset.

3. No upgrades of existing coins will take place unless the owner of the coin to be replaced agrees to be "bumped".

Those three basic rules were all I could come up with initially. Maybe it's best to follow the KISS ("keep it simple, stupid") principle anyway.

I'm sure this will evolve over time, but before I decide to to make any changes to the rules, I'll run a poll and consult with the boards.

Ready... SET... go! image

PS- hey, Spacemonkey- are you still out there? We need a classy banner picture befitting the universal and democratic nature of this set. Any ideas?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.