Home U.S. Coin Forum

coin rolls, history, etc.

stevebensteveben Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
i would like the knowledgeable numismatists here, who are willing, to share what they know about the history of rolls for coins. was the mint or a bank the first to use them? when? what coins were in what rolls, amounts, etc. also, let's see some photos of your oldest authentic rolls. does anyone have any gold coin rolls?

Comments

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've discussed this a few times in the past and never reached much of a conclusion.

I believe the oldest (probably) original roll that anyone could account for was an '09-S VDB
    though some had heard of older ones.

It wouldn't be surprising if paper tubes to hold coins have been used and abandoned a few
    times.

Let's hope the new thread brings out something new. I'm not very hopeful though since even
    records of how and where the coins circulated tend not to exist.
    Tempus fugit.
  • lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    a search for
    coin rolls history
    interesting enough gave me this page as number three

and

link
    LCoopie = Les
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. PCGS is certifying rolls, now?

That's interesting. A little weird, but fascinating, too. And kind of a nice way to preserve an intact roll, I suppose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • freechancefreechance Posts: 380 ✭✭

<< <i>Wow. PCGS is certifying rolls, now?

That's interesting. A little weird, but fascinating, too. And kind of a nice way to preserve an intact roll, I suppose. >>

I believe they started with the 2008 First strike eagle rolls. sonically sealed tubes--don't let them fool you they still tone
  • darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭
    I consider my 1902 Indian cent roll original. They might not be in a paper roll from 1902. They are all from the same few dies, all have the same color. I don't really know if a roll this old could be found in original paper??

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not trying to be a donkey, here, but what is the reasoning behind collecting rolls or bags of coins which can never be opened without losing the premium originally paid for the roll or bag?

I just can't fathom the idea of never being able to look at the coins I purchased. Each is an individual. Paper wrappers, OTOH, pretty much all look the same.
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • halfhunterhalfhunter Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭
    HERE is some pretty interesting, though basic, info on BU rolls from Wayne Herndon.

BTW . . . I just love seeking out and collecting original shotgun rolls ! ! !

HH
    Need the following OBW rolls to complete my 46-64 Roosevelt roll set:
    1947-P & D; 1948-D; 1949-P & S; 1950-D & S; and 1952-S.
    Any help locating any of these OBW rolls would be gratefully appreciated!
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    Wasn't a lot of the gold from the Central America "ship of gold" shipwreck still piled up in stacks because they were in rolls and the rolls decayed but the coins were still arranged in stacks?
    Ed
  • rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coins have been "rolled" for a long time, maybe hundreds of years. It's a convenient way to store, transport, and verify count for high value coins. Far as I can tell, rolling was a limited practice until the early 'teens. Demand for rolls brought out the inventors, who developed the auto coin wrapping systems still used today. The most famous and well-used of these is the Batdorf mechanism of 1915, which was used to create the type of roll that is started with flat paper and crimped on both ends by the machine. These are distinguished from the pre-rolled types of later years by the typically V-shaped cut on the paper, versus the spiral shape of the pre-rolled machines.

So, if what you mean by "roll" is simply a paper tube with coins in it, wrapped by a bank employee by hand, then it's possible to date these back quite far for higher denominations. However, for minor coins, I've never seen a reference to rolls being used for distribution until the late 'teens. The 1909 Cents were distributed to the banks in small bags (I'd love to have one!) rather than rolls. I've never heard of a documented example of an "original roll" of 1909 Cents. If they did exist, they would have been hand-wrapped by a teller, so would not fit into the "OBW" definition.
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wasn't a lot of the gold from the Central America "ship of gold" shipwreck still piled up in stacks because they were in rolls and the rolls decayed but the coins were still arranged in stacks? >>

Drool
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

Imagine...
    Looks to me like they were in stacks inside boxes (which mostly disintegrated), not rolled.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what prompted this topic was this really incomplete, and perhaps inaccurate, wikipedia article on the subject:

Coin Wrappers

i was imagining what it would be like to have a roll of 50 eagles!!
  • stealerstealer Posts: 3,982 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Wasn't a lot of the gold from the Central America "ship of gold" shipwreck still piled up in stacks because they were in rolls and the rolls decayed but the coins were still arranged in stacks? >>

Drool >>

That really prooflike reverse peeking out on the far left half encased in gunk is drool-worthy...and NCS worthy as well.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Drool >>

life is good image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not trying to be a donkey, here, but what is the reasoning behind collecting rolls or bags of coins which can never be opened without losing the premium originally paid for the roll or bag?

I just can't fathom the idea of never being able to look at the coins I purchased. Each is an individual. Paper wrappers, OTOH, pretty much all look the same. >>

Don't feel bad, OKBC. I never entirely "got" it, either.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>

<< <i>Not trying to be a donkey, here, but what is the reasoning behind collecting rolls or bags of coins which can never be opened without losing the premium originally paid for the roll or bag?

I just can't fathom the idea of never being able to look at the coins I purchased. Each is an individual. Paper wrappers, OTOH, pretty much all look the same. >>

Don't feel bad, OKBC. I never entirely "got" it, either. >>

Published roll values are for average quality tubed rolls that have been cherrypicked and searched for gem quality coins and varieties. The allure of OBW rolls is that they are unsearched, and thus may contain gem quality coins or interesting varieties. This makes the OBW rolls worth more than tubed rolls as long as the OBW roll is never opened. It can thus trade as a commodity between gamblers who place a value on what they might find in the roll were it to be opened.

• OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Don't feel bad, OKBC. I never entirely "got" it, either. >>

Published roll values are for average quality tubed rolls that have been cherrypicked and searched for gem quality coins and varieties. The allure of OBW rolls is that they are unsearched, and thus may contain gem quality coins or interesting varieties. This makes the OBW rolls worth more than tubed rolls as long as the OBW roll is never opened. It can thus trade as a commodity between gamblers who place a value on what they might find in the roll were it to be opened. >>

I understand why there is a premium for original bags or unsearched rolls. I just don't understand how coin collectors can leave them unopened never to know whether they own a rarity or not.

I guess it comes down to a case of "Is the cat dead or alive? Until one opens the box it's both."
    Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.

<< <i>I understand why there is a premium for original bags or unsearched rolls. I just don't understand how coin collectors can leave them unopened never to know whether they own a rarity or not. >>

Once you have a few extra rolls about, it starts to make sense. I have a few hundred OBW Cent rolls that I will probably never open. Many were bought singly, and they could contain anything, but often they were purchased in groups and I have opened a couple from each group so am pretty sure the rest are the same. Indeed I have rolls set aside that I know to be full of gem coins, and rolls that are full of fairly rare RPMs and Doubled Dies, and even those I may never open. They are a store of value, and as original rolls are gradually opened by folks who really need to know what's in them, the ones that are left undisturbed go up proportionally more in value.

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 15,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WoW! as ugly as that picture may look, in our eyes ( Numis,nuts) their BEAUTIFUL! -joey imageimage

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    I guess it comes down to a case of "Is the cat dead or alive? Until one opens the box it's both." >>

Schrödinger

I learned this from...

(Sorry, fixed the link)

It all comes down to risk/reward. You risk lowering the value of the roll by opening it and balance that with the reward of finding something of equal or higher value. Among the hundreds of OBW I have stashed, I have a handful of 1969-S bank rolls that have never been searched. These rolls have significant value over their tubed/searched brethren, but not enough to make me want to sell them rather than search them for the DDO's I just know are in there.

• goldengolden Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I still have 2 paper wrappers that each contained 25 1909 VDB cents when I obtained them. I also owned an original roll of 50 1899 cents, but they did not have the wrapper when I got them.
    Lots of games were played by folks in the early 60's. Half-rolls, rolling of older coins, etc. If you have any "OBW" or anything like that from the early teens or earlier, most likely they were put together in the early 60's or more recently after 2000 when such animals started to gain in potential value again.

Banks and distribution companies ALWAYS put their names on coin rolls right from the start, so you have the ability to research the bank to ensure it was operating under that name in the year the coins were rolled. Google "history of XYZ bank" and you will find a timeline of that bank's history including purchases, acquisitions, mergers, etc. The bank must have operated under the EXACT name on the paper wrapper in the year the coins were minted or it is a bogus roll. I've published many a post warning folks that a roll is bogus based on this, and it's pretty easy for you to check it yourself.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file