Home Sports Talk
Options

Anyone got intel on Red Sox Prospects?

Keeper league started this year and I have my eye on:

Holt, Ciriaco, and the rookie center fielder

Anyone got any intel? Ciriaco is mediocre but covers the whole infield. If anyone went down, would he start?

Thanks for the consideration.

Comments

• Options
    out of the three, the rookie centerfielder--Jackie Bradley Jr. has the most upside. Don't know if he'll be on the opening day roster.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    Don't forget Allen Webster.
  • Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭
    that must be a hella-deep league if you're considering Holt and Ciriaco. Holt was left unprotected by the Pirates so that should give you some semblance of his value and unless your league keeps 40+ players most of these guys aren't going to be of any value this year. Iglesias would probably takeover SS if Drew can't go. Jackie Bradley is the best bet both short and long term. He may start the year in the bigs due to injuries though I suspect he'll head back down to AAA when the Sox are at full strength. Regardless he should be replacing Ellsbury in CF next year. Beyond him, you'd be looking at starters Rubby De La Rosa, Matt Barnes, and Allen Webster. De La Rosa should hit the bigs first and provide immediate value. Beyond him, I'd take Barnes over Webster as Webster's command is spotty - 4.2 BB/9 so he could end up in the pen. Both could either see time in Boston this year or spend the entire seasons at AAA. Depends on how worthless/hurt Buchholz, Lackey, and Doubront are.
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Lane

My league changed considerably this year, probably due to griping. Rosters expanded from 27 to 30 players, holds are now a category, salary cap stayed at 300, and prices went up (considerably). So I am looking for hidden bargains. I was checking the mlb.com depth charts and saw ciriaco had eligibility across the infield. Then some discussion that Holt was a better prospect so I figured I would check in here for local expertise. Your responses helped considerably as I am not considering them and have Bradley targetted as my final pick if I have any money left. My hidden $1 gems:

Julio Teheran
    John Jaso
    Jason Castro
    Jordany Valdespin
    Avisail Garcia
    Joe Ortiz - Texas RP
    Nolan Arenado

I think Arendado will get called up in July when Colorado is eliminated. As for Avisail, he could see time if/when Torii gets hurt and/or Dirks proves a bust.

If you have any other dark horses, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Your pal
    jr
  • Options
    If you can get Jaso late, go for him. As you mentioned, Avisal Garcia is a Relatively unknown, high ceiling type player, but the Tigers also have a kid--Nick Castellanos, who should be called up after April 12th (suspect the same for Bradley Jr as well--highly surprised if he makes the club out of spring training with how arbitration and free agency work down the road). Nolan Arenado is also in that class.
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

• Options
    lanemyer85lanemyer85 Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Lane

My league changed considerably this year, probably due to griping. Rosters expanded from 27 to 30 players, holds are now a category, salary cap stayed at 300, and prices went up (considerably). So I am looking for hidden bargains. I was checking the mlb.com depth charts and saw ciriaco had eligibility across the infield. Then some discussion that Holt was a better prospect so I figured I would check in here for local expertise. Your responses helped considerably as I am not considering them and have Bradley targetted as my final pick if I have any money left. My hidden $1 gems:

Julio Teheran
    John Jaso
    Jason Castro
    Jordany Valdespin
    Avisail Garcia
    Joe Ortiz - Texas RP
    Nolan Arenado

I think Arendado will get called up in July when Colorado is eliminated. As for Avisail, he could see time if/when Torii gets hurt and/or Dirks proves a bust.

If you have any other dark horses, I would appreciate hearing about it.

Your pal
    jr >>

I love super deep leagues. I have a couple dynasty leagues - one where you can keep 40 major leaguers + 40 minor leaguers and another 40 man roster where you can roster your choice of major or minor leaguers. Anyway, if you haven't already, move Matt Carpenter up on your board. He's going to be the stater at 2B and depending on your league's positional eligibility settings, he could have eligibility at 2B/1B/3B/OF. Also in JortsNation, it looks like 1B Matt Adams will make the team. He might be a pinch-hitter for the most part, but with Beltran inevitably getting hurt (he gets a lot of days off too) Craig could be moving between 1B/OF quite a bit. Adams could be an Ike Davis type. And Shelby Miller still has a shot at the #5 starter along with Joe Kelly.

Arenado is a good call. He still has a shot at opening in COL so he's in that Jackie Bradley class of he who could contribute now but will for sure by next year. Throw Jedd Gyorko (2B/3B), Aaron Hicks, and Yasel Puig in that mix too as Gyorko will start in SD either at 2B or 3B, Hicks should start in CF for Minny, and there's an outside shot Puig could stick with LA with the heightened expectations and Crawford inevitably getting hurt. Teheran will be the Braves #5 starter so you probably can't get him for a buck unless your league is stupid. Jaso is a good pick as long as your league counts OBP. Norris will get at least 30-35% of the starts in what should be a pretty strict platoon at C in OAK so if you're talking about looking at Jaso as a starter, I'd throw an extra buck or two to get a guy like Jonathan Lucroy who if healthy will start at least 90% of MIL's games. Especially if your league is undervaluing him. If you're talking about Jaso as a bench option, then nevermind. Unless DET is using a strict platoon in LF, I don't see Garcia with a ton of value. They still have Quintin Berry soaking up some starts along with Dirks and there is speculation DET is hunting around for a right handed OFer. A Casper Wells type. When teams start making final cuts there will guys without minor league options available.

Outside of the obvious keeper targets that are likely already gone - Profar, Oscar Taveras, Dylan Bundy, and Wil Myers, others on the prospect shortlist who will contribute at some point this year will be

Zack Wheeler
    Gerrit Cole
    Chris Archer
    Billy Hamilton
    Jonathan Singleton
    Oswaldo Arcia (RF, MINN)
    Kyle Gibson
    Grant Green (only valuable if he sticks at 2B)
    Danny Hultzen
    Nick Franklin
    Mike Zunino
    Mike Olt

Possibly undervalued guys

Josh Beckett
    Jonathan Lucroy
    Marco Estrada
    Jon Niese
    Adam Eaton
    Jason Hammel
    Erasmo Ramirez (he may end up in AAA to begin the year as it seems giving starts to the corpse of Jon Garland is now a thing)
    Scott Kazmir (no really, might be a good dollar pick)
    Lorenzo Cain
    Brett Gardner
    Andy Pettitte
    Chris Carter (should be getting starts in LF, but may be a strict platoon guy)
    Wily Peralta, (if it's a deep league)
    Andrew Cashner
    Lance Lynn
    Joe Kelly
    Trevor Rosenthal (if he stays in the bullpen all season, he's one of those guys who could post 100+ K's and help your WHIP in 60 IP while also being a SP option).
    Leonys Martin
    David Murphy (for a 4th/5th OF type)
    Alexi Ogando (back to starter)
    Ricky Romero
    Denard Span (110 runs scored)
    Jayson Werth

Closer taker-overs
    (Marmol, Chris Perez, Rafael Betancourt should be dealt at some point, and if TB & OAK are out of contention you can add noted archery enthusiast - Plantain Rodney and Balfour to that list)

Andrew Bailey
    Fujikawa
    Pestano
    Wilton Lopez
    Kenley Jansen
    Ryan Cook/Sean Doolittle
    Jake McGee/Joel Peralta
    Nate Jones (super dark-horse)

edit to add: for holds, given that the usual top setup guys like Storen, Clippard, Sean Marshall, David Hernandez, Pestano, David Robertson, Mike Adams etc will require more than a buck, if you want to go cheap on holds, you may consider Mitchell Boggs, Rosenthal would be perfect he gets backend innings, Mark Melancon, Eric O'Flaherty, Pedro Strop, Steve Delabar (also capable of posting 90 K's), perhaps Kelvin Herrera of KC on top of a couple of the guys noted in the closer taker-over section. If it's a league where you start 6-7 RP I'd probably take one of the top setup men like David Hernandez since he'll also post 90-ish K's, help the rate stats and probably save some games when Putz goes down. Then go cheap with the others.
  • Options
    jrbolesjrboles Posts: 566 ✭✭
    Lane - This is golden. I will PM you the roster. The prices already came out and Teheran is a buck. So is Ubaldo Jiminez.
  • Options
    Lane hit it right on the head. The only name on his list I could add anything to is Jonathan Singleton, who will be Houston's first baseman next year, but got clipped for fifty games for being caught with pot in his system. It will drop him off a lot of lists, but don't be surprised if Houston brings him up some time in July or August. He was the real reason Houston traded Hunter Pence to Philly a few years ago. Keep in mind Philly offered uber prospect Domonic Brown for Pence and Houston wanted Singleton instead.

Speaking of Domonic Brown, this really is his year to put up or go away. He's fallen out of favor in a lot of drafts. Could be a real sleeper.