Home Sports Talk
Options

Is this really a conflict in Baltimore?

jdip9jdip9 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭
<<<From nfl.com:

Goodell talked with MLB Commissioner Bud Selig on two occasions about the scheduling conflict concerning the Baltimore Ravens' Thursday night kickoff. The NFL has asked the Baltimore Orioles to move their game earlier, and Goodell added the NFL is willing to make the kickoff later. The Ravens and Orioles share a parking lot, so they can't play at the same time.>>>

Are the Orioles that stubborn, or is this some creative marketing by the NFL to stay in the headlines? I've lost count of the number of times the Red Sox moved the start time of a game just so their fans could watch a playoff game for the Celtics and Bruins, and they don't even share a parking lot!

Comments

• Options
    One parking lot should be plenty of space for a Ravens game and an Orioles game.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are the Orioles that stubborn, or is this some creative marketing by the NFL to stay in the headlines? I've lost count of the number of times the Red Sox moved the start time of a game just so their fans could watch a playoff game for the Celtics and Bruins, and they don't even share a parking lot! >>

Some of it is stubbornness, I'm sure. Some of it is not wanting to play second fiddle to the football team. And a LOT of it is money. Moving the start time to a day game would cost the Orioles a LOT of money. They have no incentive to do that.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All about the money. Compensate the O's and I'm certyain they'd gladly switch. I'm sure to some extent, the Ravens are viewed as carpetbaggers, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    <<<Moving the start time to a day game would cost the Orioles a LOT of money.>>>

I'm guessing it isn't as much as you think. The season tickets are already sold, plus whatever has already been sold by the box office. The Orioles will either be in contention and people will show up regardless of game time, or they won't be in contention, and they won't show up regardless of game time. They are announcing this 5 MONTHS ahead of time, so there is plenty of time for fans to plan to go or re-sell their tickets

Any self-respecting Baltimore sports fan with tickets to the Orioles game would just take the day off and enjoy both games. All I know is if I was a season ticket holder and my team didn't move ONE game out of 162 to accommodate my Super Bowl winning team, I'd be really upset.

By the way, what is this BS about not playing the game on Rosh Hashahna? The NFL didn't seem to care last year when the holiday fell on a Sunday. And if football "can't" be played on that day, why can baseball?
  • Options
    If there are any Baltimore citizens on these boards, I'm curious to hear what the reaction has been about the Ravens opening on the road?

The NFL, in its infinite wisdom, has decided that they can't play on Rosh Hashana (sp?).

Roughly 2% of the U.S. population is Jewish. Roughly 25% is Catholic. So, the NFL can't hold a game on Rosh Hashana, but they can hold a game on Christmas? How does this make any sense? And would there really be any outrage in the Jewish community if there were a game that day?

It appears to be yet another mis-step by Goddell, thinking that he could use the Rosh Hashana excuse to bully MLB into moving their game. He's such a clown. He's moving dangerously close to Selig/Bettman territory for incompetent commissioners.