Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Brazil 960 Reis... Updated w/ pics in last post

jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
I'd love to see some cool over struck examples if anyone here has one or three...
I was perusing some Heritage archive pieces, just getting an idea of what was out there and what to look for, and to my amazement
the one piece that really caught my eye was available on eBay. Seller accepted my offer, I will post it when I get it !
In the mean time, how about some pics ?

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had one on my old Holey Coin Vest, but going through my huge Photobucket albums trying to find a single picture is a real PITA these days, with the changes they made.

Sold that coin back in January or February. Lemme see if the eBay listing is still displaying.

As I recall, there were some traces of the undertype showing on that in places, but not as dramatically as others I've had in the past. I think I had one once upon a time where you could actually read the date of the host coin/undertype.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Eh, nope. image

Must've been more than 60 days back.

Oh well. It wasn't a super strong example of the "visible undertype" phenomenon, anyway. Just a cool holey.

Probably not worth shoveling through Photobucket for.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Tough times at the old bucket image
    My downloads all load into some random location 80 or 160 picture back ...frustration !
    I am developing a method at last though.
  • Options
    Corrected the urls below.
    960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    Oh Yeah !
    What a gold (silver) mine of info ! Can't wait to get home and dig in !
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Be careful -- those coins are addictive. I have several.

The Itau Bank's numismatic museum in Sao Paulo has a glass display table full of 960 reis coins; it's well-worth a visit. Link
  • Options
    Correcting the photo urls.

Here's one I used for a little bit as an example of how to view the host coin:

Quick shot of an Argentine Sol host (rare for Bahia mint) with some really great undertype detail. Getting better photos of it, but this is just a quick shot:

One of my favorites:
    960 Coins - Rare and high quality 960 Reis overstrikes and counterstamps from Brazil and more.
    http://blog.960coins.com - All about the 960 Reis coins.
    Check my BST!
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    Here's one of mine:

imageimage
  • Options
    Those are some very cool examples guys !
    I'll be posting my newp any day now I hope...
  • Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finding one. Would love to find one myself!
  • Options
    Here are a couple of pics of the 960 that just arrived.
    Clearly Ferdinand VII, but no date visible...my plan is to aquire one each of the three basic types for now, and hopefully find at least one with a visible date.

• Options

<< <i>Updated w/ pics in last post >>

This is the last post, now, and there are no pics in it except for my sigline and avatar. image

Great coin, and yep, you've got some strong undertype on there fer sure! image

Nice original lookin' color, too.

I think my best, which I mentioned previously, might have been somewhere on that order of prominence as far as the undertype went. Maybe not quite as much as your newp, there.

PS- I must also say that it's nice seein' you on the Dark Side.