Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Sometimes the full steps designation is just silly

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
This one is in an MS66FS holder. Now, what is wrong with this picture?

Comments

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Now, what is wrong with this picture? >>

it is too small?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    besides the B mint mark? image

got a shot of the obverse, too?

It looks like one beat die, but it is what it is... it might be a full 66, too, fwiw. just because it is otherwise a full dog doesn't mean it doesn't qualify under the stated rules.
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Steps are about all that's there.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one is in an MS66FS holder. Now, what is wrong with this picture?

image >>

Most of the front of the building is missing! image

But hey! It's got FULL STEPS!

Come to think of it, thats probably WHY it ended up with Full Steps. That metal has to go somewhere!
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Weakicello?

Eric image
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OMG

Thanks Russ for posting a picture that illustrates what I have been trying to write for years- This has been my issue with this worthless designation.

Contrast full steps with full Monticello and which would you rather have?

Can I guess the date? 1952-s

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OMG

Thanks Russ for for your posting a picture that illustrtates what I have been trying to write for years- This has been my issue with this worthless designation.

Contrast full steps with full Monticello and which would you rather have?

Can I guess the date? 1952-s >>

If the dies were clashed a little harder you could just read the date. '53-S?
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Okay

FTR, I edited my post for typos- sorry for not typing better the first time

• Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Now that's funny.image
    Becky
  • Options

<< <i>Can I guess the date? 1952-s >>

1940-S
  • Options
    1941 followed by 1940 would have been my next suggestions

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another case the "full strike" FS designation...which this one wouldn't earn.
  • Options
    emzeeemzee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭
    Nagengast described (and sold) coins like this as "weak windows".

Michael
  • Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    I'll see your FS designated 40S and raise you.

imageimage
  • Options
    spy88spy88 Posts: 764 ✭✭
    As anyone who knows this series, there are many dates from all three mints that just had terrible dies and let them go on stamping anyway. This looks to me to be a early '50s coin and yes, it could be a 66 even without a strong strike because for the first half of that decade, there simply weren't many (if any). It is BU, without major hits, nicks, scratches, so the grade may be justified.

As 19Lyds said...

<< <i>That metal has to go somewhere! >>

As for that '40-S of mingot's, it should be a MS62/3 as that year/mm Jeff are available with a much stronger strike (so early in the series).
    Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options
    CoinspongeCoinsponge Posts: 3,927 ✭✭✭
    Not much use for steps if there is no door.image
    Gold and silver are valuable but wisdom is priceless.
  • Options

<< <i>As for that '40-S of mingot's, it should be a MS62/3 as that year/mm Jeff are available with a much stronger strike (so early in the series). >>

PCGS 65FS
  • Options

<< <i>PCGS 65FS >>

Congrats and very surprised!

Everything starts and everything stops at precisely the right time for precisely the right reason.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>PCGS 65FS >>

Congrats and very surprised! >>

took decent images and sold it within a few days of getting it. lost a few bucks. no congrats applicable.

• Options

<< <i>As anyone who knows this series, there are many dates from all three mints that just had terrible dies and let them go on stamping anyway. This looks to me to be a early '50s coin and yes, it could be a 66 even without a strong strike because for the first half of that decade, there simply weren't many (if any). It is BU, without major hits, nicks, scratches, so the grade may be justified.

As 19Lyds said...

<< <i>That metal has to go somewhere! >>

As for that '40-S of mingot's, it should be a MS62/3 as that year/mm Jeff are available with a much stronger strike (so early in the series). >>

Uh, the one I posted is also a 1940-S.
  • Options
    As I said...

<< <i>This looks to me... >>

and I wasn't the only one to guess wrong.

I did miss your posting of the date. image
  • Options
    I pay no attention to the FB,FH,FBL,FS, designations. just look at slq's for example more often than not it will be a debateable full head, with a weak shield and rivets, or with mercs for some dates, weakly split bands, with other weak areas. If you are patient and cherrypick you can find true FH,FS,FB coins in holders without the designation, and get a better coin for less money. The crazy thing is unless it is on the holder most dont care. I mean my eyes can see split bands or a full head. Silly as it is as long as it is on the holder many people will pay the premium, regardless of the true quality of the strike.
    coolbreeze
  • Options
  • Options
    I have railed against those strike designations for a long time. If you're going to have any strike designation, how about just a generic "FS" for Full Strike. I think the focus on a particular attribute, FH, FS, FBL is arbitrary and somewhat senseless.

I have previously posted a magnificent 1924 SLQ on here, graded PCGS MS68+ (yes 68+ !!!) which has an 80% full head, yet full everything else, and the appearance of high relief with flawless surfaces, luster, and beautiful peripheral rainbow toning. Yet this coin gets an automatic 3-point downgrade if used an any Registry set, because it is not "FH." That's ridiculous!!! Oh, and I bought it from David Hall Rare Coins. Great coin, should not merit a "downgrade" at all.

However, none of these things makes me as crazy as "First Strike" (which is, of course, not necessarily a first strike at all, and certainly not in the way the term was always used in traditional numismatics). But wait - there might be an "FS" even worse than Full Steps or First Strike ...

yes, it's First Sold image ... I have nothing to say about that.

Sunnywood

• Options
    I've said something about Strong Strike before, but drawing the lines between SS, Mid Strike and WS(patent application pending) ?

Maybe a 70 point Strike Scale? No? Never mind.

But I like SS's and would give a point to have a better strike on a coin.

I don't know.... There are 3 die states. Why not 3 Strikes?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    have previously posted a magnificent 1924 SLQ on here, graded PCGS MS68+ (yes 68+ !!!) which has an 80% full head, yet full everything else, and the appearance of high relief with flawless surfaces, luster, and beautiful peripheral rainbow toning. Yet this coin gets an automatic 3-point downgrade if used an any Registry set, because it is not "FH." That's ridiculous!!!

Which is more ridiculous? Them knocking your coin down 3 points, or you caring that they did it? Personally, I'd just be glad to have the coin.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    MrEureka, obviously I didn't care - I bought the coin after all image
    but I can still opine on the state of things, n'est-ce pas?
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    n'est-ce pas?

Are you going to show us the coin???
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strike should be a grading factor like the definition says. No need for an additional designation. The traditional definition (and the one on the PCGS site still) is that a coin must have a full strike to get a 65. Citing a Full Steps designation is supposed to be evidence of a full strike, and a coin with an incomplete strike but getting the full steps designation totally misses the point.

(Shouldn't be any brown cents higher than a 65 either image)
    Doug
  • Options
    I had posted it on PCGS once before, and I don't like to spam the boards with the same coin over and over, but since you asked, here it is:

The image is Coin Facts, not True View (i.e. in the holder, not out of the holder, so not as good), and it doesn't capture the 3-D depth effect of this coin.

• Options
    Strike should be a grading factor like the definition says. No need for an additional designation. The traditional definition (and the one on the PCGS site still) is that a coin must have a full strike to get a 65. Citing a Full Steps designation is supposed to be evidence of a full strike, and a coin with an incomplete strike but getting the full steps designation totally misses the point.

Doug
  • Options
    Wow my computer went nuts, no idea why it posted five times ...
  • Options

Doug
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have railed against those strike designations for a long time. If you're going to have any strike designation, how about just a generic "FS" for Full Strike. I think the focus on a particular attribute, FH, FS, FBL is arbitrary and somewhat senseless. >>

I'm right there with ya brother.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    Sorry everyone for the multiple posts ... my computer froze and kept posting the same message over and over until I turned it off and rebooted ... bizarre
  • Options
    Sunnywood you can opine any time you want but I agree I would like to see an image of the coin also as you have an amazing eye.
  • Options
    Forum hiccup

That's a killer SLQ

I rate it a SS, EDS

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have railed against those strike designations for a long time. If you're going to have any strike designation, how about just a generic "FS" for Full Strike. I think the focus on a particular attribute, FH, FS, FBL is arbitrary and somewhat senseless. >>

In the case of Merc and Roosie dimes, I think focusing on the bands as a determinant of "full strike"
    is a reasonable approach. It's not perfect, of course, but nothing subjective ever is. I don't really
    collect SLQs or Franklins, so have no opinion on FH or FBL, except to say that they seem far more
    subjective than FB.
  • Options
    And if only the OP picture survived

It was an XWS (also patent application pending). But such designation is used quite rarely
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not much use for steps if there is no door.image >>

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Not much use for steps if there is no door.image >>

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Sorry everyone for the multiple posts ... my computer froze and kept posting the same message over and over until I turned it off and rebooted ... bizarre >>

SW, It's not your PC as it's the site which has been like this all weekend.
    To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you understand what might have taken place on the strike which produced the OP's coin and other Jefferson Nickels with a similar appearance it makes a little more sense, especially with coins struck during the mid-1950's.

during that period of time at the Mint it was typical for not many Jefferson Nickels to exhibit a fully struck step area while the rest of the coin is crisp with well defined detail. after many thousands of strikes the dies would naturally begin to show a lack of detail due to wear or a buildup of debris in the finer areas of detail. at the same time the step area of the die isn't even coming into contact with the planchet so that fine detail of the die is intact. all that is required for fully struck steps and soft overall detail is a slight over-travel of the dies or an increase of pressure, either intentional or due to a press malfunction. I have owned several coins which had this appearance, weak detail in the building and obverse portrait, yet with perhaps the best struck steps approaching P/l quality.

without being able to see the OP coin it is difficult to know if that is what caused it to look as described but it is a plausible explanation for how some coins are struck with a similar appearance.
  • Options
    It is plausible, but I remember the coin and while it had FS it didn't have Full Monticello

The debate is if FS is a worthy designation to use for strike quality as it seems to be imperfect

• Options
    Sorry everyone for the multiple posts ... my computer froze and kept posting the same message over and over until I turned it off and rebooted ... bizarre

hey, I made a reply this morning to the thread and it was accepted and listed me as the last reply TTT but it is now gone. probably a PCGS problem of some type.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Mercury and Roosevelt Dime collector I have never been a slave to FB's. I would much rather have more hair on the obverse. I always go by the overall look of the coin and if it has bands .....OK....if not OK.

But I will not pay moon money for the FB on the label......NEVER!!
  • Options
    The debate is if FS is a worthy designation to use for strike quality as it seems to be imperfect

I can end the "debate" by saying yes, it is a worthy designation because it is the deepest part of the design, the last area of the die to fill with metal when the coin is struck. with that in mind, the better the strike the better the metal flow and the better chance of a coin exhibiting full detail. my post above simply explained that in a roundabout way that maybe you couldn't infer. to that end, the Full Step designation doesn't necessarily equate to strike quality or the overall appearance of the coin. there are often flaws in planchets which won't be filled by even the best strike and the step area on a Jefferson Nickel is a good example of that: quite often what is seen as ticks and gouges actually is unstruck planchet flaws. I suspect/am quite certain that with some of the dates which are notorious for not having fully struck and well defined step detail the reason is that the dies used were simply incapable of striking that detail, it was so worn on the Master Die that the Working Dies were weak from the beginning. that is why at those points in the series the Mint took it upon themselves to make new Master Dies with slight modifications to improve metal flow. I also believe that a slightly underweight planchet would be incapable of becoming a Nickel with full steps.
  • Options
    BarberFanaticBarberFanatic Posts: 671 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have railed against those strike designations for a long time. If you're going to have any strike designation, how about just a generic "FS" for Full Strike. I think the focus on a particular attribute, FH, FS, FBL is arbitrary and somewhat senseless.

I have previously posted a magnificent 1924 SLQ on here, graded PCGS MS68+ (yes 68+ !!!) which has an 80% full head, yet full everything else, and the appearance of high relief with flawless surfaces, luster, and beautiful peripheral rainbow toning. Yet this coin gets an automatic 3-point downgrade if used an any Registry set, because it is not "FH." That's ridiculous!!! Oh, and I bought it from David Hall Rare Coins. Great coin, should not merit a "downgrade" at all.

However, none of these things makes me as crazy as "First Strike" (which is, of course, not necessarily a first strike at all, and certainly not in the way the term was always used in traditional numismatics). But wait - there might be an "FS" even worse than Full Steps or First Strike ...

yes, it's First Sold image ... I have nothing to say about that.

Sunnywood >>

Agree 100%. Bravo, sir!
    My current coin collecting interests are: (1) British coins 1838-1970 in XF-AU-UNC, (2) silver type coins in XF-AU with that classic medium gray coloration and exceptional eye appeal.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file