Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1970's/80's Sportscard Vending Machine

Here are a few pictures of my most recent purchase from ebay. Its a 1970's/80's sportscard vending machine. I have had a few requests to see some pictures of it in another thread, so instead of hijacking that thread I figured I would make a new one. I have been wanting one for awhile now. I just remember as a kid going to the local card shop and putting my quarter in it in hopes of getting something good. Well as a naive little kid I did not know that most of the cards were commons and the hopes of hitting something good were really slim. None the less I have always had great memories of going to this shop and dropping a few quarters in it.

My thoughts on the use of this thing is this. I figured when my kids get a little older I could always put a fresh vending box of like 83-85 topps baseball in it for them to mess around with. At least then they or whomever would have a fair chance at getting something decent for a quarter or 2. Or I could always put my fresh 1979 vending box that I just got in the mail today from bbce in it!!! Thoughts on this machine or my idea?? Does anyone else have one of these? Maybe an older one? newer one? Anyone else have any great stories with these type of machines?

Heres the pictures (sorry they are not that great) I took them with my phone

Comments

• BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭
    Cool a local antique/junk store has one with some cards in it. Ive never tried it though it looks like its got some super common 90's stuff in it. It should look cool set up with some cards in it.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    Very cool! Of course, now I want one.
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!
  • tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies guys. The front as you can see in the pictures has a piece of plexiglass in it that can be removed and you can put whatever in it. If I throw the 80's vending in it, I will probably put a Mattingly,Strawberry Rookies on one half and maybe a Mcgwire USA,Clemens,Puckett Rookies on the other half.
  • ChiefsFan1stChiefsFan1st Posts: 845 ✭✭✭
    I cant remember. Does it spit out like 5 cards? My uncle owns a gas station. I outta buy one and set it up there to get rid of my commons, err I mean my hall of fame football collection.imageimage
    I dont wanna grow up, Im a Toys-R-Us kid!

<< <i>I cant remember. Does it spit out like 5 cards? My uncle owns a gas station. I outta buy one and set it up there to get rid of my commons, err I mean my hall of fame football collection.imageimage >>

The one I have you cannot adjust the amount of cards that come out, but it averages anywhere from 4 to 7 at most that come out. Its hard to tell from the picture but right above where its says 25 cents is where the cards come out.
  • BenG76BenG76 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I cant remember. Does it spit out like 5 cards? My uncle owns a gas station. I outta buy one and set it up there to get rid of my commons, err I mean my hall of fame football collection.imageimage >>

I am curious to know if one of these machines would still sell well today. Maybe with some shiny modern stuff in it?
  • Afternoon,

Ok, I'll share, this is the machine that I have for sale in my Store. It is from the year 1971/72 and is Brand New in the Box condition. It has had no restoration work done to it, and is still in the possession of the original owner (He has consigned it to me). It was bought Brand New in late 1971 or 1972 then stocked with 1972 Topps Presidents Packs and 1972/3 Wacky Packages Series III packs picked up a local 7-11. There were 46 Presidents packs and 48 Wacky packs in the machine when re-opened in 2010. The owner boxed it up and forgot about it shortly after filling it sometime in 1972/73. He re-discovered it 2 years ago in his basement storage and emptied the packs out, I sold them on E-Bay, we made about $3000 off the packs.

I have never see a machine in this pristine of condition, although I have seen several raggedy ones on E-Bay for $100-$300 needing $300-$800 in restoration. In fact we were contaced by the Original manufacturer, Folz, who was re-opening a similar business in 2011 and he wanted to purchase the machine as a display piece for the Company Lobby. We could not agree on a price. It is still listed on E-Bay in my Store.

This machine was designed to dispense 5 cent Wax packs and has all of the cover sheeting and empty packs you see. It would have been right at the end of the last of the 5 cent packs and actually was a little out of date when created, US Presidents were available in 5 cent wax packs then very shortly 10 cent wax packs.

Here it is:

Neil

Actually Collect Non Sport, but am just so full of myself I post all over the place !!!!!!!
  • I have one that is similar (stored back in NY). Mine looked exactly the same on the inside and it spit out 4 cards placed in a cardboard folder. It takes quarters and has a removable metal tray on the bottom to collect the money. Now here's the fun part, it came from Steiner Maunfacturing in Brooklyn(?) which I believe is the same Steiner that has morphed into the memorabilia business. Mine was purchased around 1990. It has two round pin locks on each side for "security"! LOL!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!' Mark Frost
  • I recently scrapped one of these machines because shipping would have been too much of a hassle. I still have a full case of the carboard sleeves that you insert the cards into prior to loading in the machine.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congratulations on your pickup!

I have a 50s exhibit card vending machine.

I think you might try checking ebay from time to time for vending machine signs and perhaps you'll pick up something to put in the window.

The machine has been restored very well!

Ya know? If you're going to put some cards in it? I would recommend something more inexpensive like a 5 or 10 buck vending box - for kids to play with? Just a thought.

Thanx for sharing!
    Mike
  • RynoandBoRynoandBo Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Pretty cool piece! Would look very nice in the basement.
  • AricAric Posts: 757 ✭✭
    Very cool. Congrats on the pickup. These are very similar if not the same machines that dispersed the 1985 Jewel Prism stickers with the Michael Jordan. They had one at my local bowling alley.
  • lahmejoonlahmejoon Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭
    I love these. My family used to vacation around Santa Cruz, CA and there used to be a card shop called Collector's Corner in Capitola. They had this old red vending machine (not as big as the one pictured) that took pennies (can't remember if it was one or two). I used to love throwing the last bit of change in that machine and pulling random cards. Brings back good memories. The shop has been long gone, unfortunately.
  • RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    ...and another baseball card vending machine with a story.
  • mgugs46mgugs46 Posts: 217 ✭✭
    Pretty nice pick up Eric. Now load that bad boy up image
    Looking for PSA HOF autos, PSA Vintage Red Sox and Pedro Martinez
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    great machines guys!

I've got a couple- one baseball and one postcards that I'm still trying to locate a header card for.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure about refilling it, but it is a cool collectible piece. I agree with comments above. Would really look cool in the basement or man cave.
    I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • JustinsShoeboxJustinsShoebox Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭

<< <i>great machines guys!

I've got a couple- one baseball and one postcards that I'm still trying to locate a header card for.

image >>

Anthony, awesome postcard machine!!

Justin
    Thanks for the comments guys! Also great to see other machines as well. Those really old ones are killer. Did they actually make signs to put in the front of these? I always thought that you would make your own kinda sign or put some cards in the front to display what year or years you have in each side.
  • hi i just picked up a steiner vending machine orig for vending wax pack.it had came with a few of the cardboard sleeves but they arnt the folding ones like the sticker/tattoo type. a pack actually slides in these perfect.now i plan on trying to do some wax packs i do have and want to do a section of random football cards & a section of random baseball cards being it has 3 coin slots.the mechs are vertical 8's.the slots to fill up take those cardboard i believe are 3x4 1/2 is there any way to vend single sports cards out or maybe sets of 5-10 cards at a time without it vending to many.trying to figure out the best inexpensive way for this i havnt even seen those particular cardboard slots for packs anywhere not sure if they are even made like that anymore,also could use any ideas if there are any prremaid nice display decals for the front ive somewhat made my own for now.thanks
  • RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭

<< <i>hi i just picked up a steiner vending machine orig for vending wax pack.it had came with a few of the cardboard sleeves but they arnt the folding ones like the sticker/tattoo type. a pack actually slides in these perfect.now i plan on trying to do some wax packs i do have and want to do a section of random football cards & a section of random baseball cards being it has 3 coin slots.the mechs are vertical 8's.the slots to fill up take those cardboard i believe are 3x4 1/2 is there any way to vend single sports cards out or maybe sets of 5-10 cards at a time without it vending to many.trying to figure out the best inexpensive way for this i havnt even seen those particular cardboard slots for packs anywhere not sure if they are even made like that anymore,also could use any ideas if there are any prremaid nice display decals for the front ive somewhat made my own for now.thanks >>

how about a pic of this machine?