Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Interesting die cutting error (1736 Gelderland 1 Gulden)

Got this coin in the mail today. While not particularly rare it has an interesting die cutting error on the obverse. It appears that the left hand was engraved too low at first, which was corrected. The first hand, however, was never removed!

I think I'm gonna call this the "ghost hand" variety image

imageimage

Dennis

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats pretty neat image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. If that is in fact a re-engraved hand, as it appears to be (and not some random bit of drapery or a weird book clasp or something else), that's pretty cool!

I have only limited experience with this type, so I dunno, but it sure does look like a "ghost hand"! Neato!

Come to think of it, the face looks kind of doubled, too.

Aside from all that, I also like the grey "CircCam" toning on the coin.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    Becky
  • Options
    AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Underneath the pillar , there is horse jumping over a mountain, its the mintmaster mark of Johan Hensbergen , mintmaster between 1732 - 1748 in Harderwijk -Gelderland

The guy who made the die for this coin is Jan Bernhard Barghuis - diemaker between 1717 - 1745 also in Harderwijk.

The face of Pallas Athena looks like she was into a fight with another greek god,
    and the hand seems to come out of the bible , must be the hand of God.
    great coin, thanks for sharing,
    Andres
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Underneath the pillar , there is horse jumping over a mountain, its the mintmaster mark of Johan Hensbergen , mintmaster between 1732 - 1748 in Harderwijk -Gelderland

The guy who made the die for this coin is Jan Bernhard Barghuis - diemaker between 1717 - 1745 also in Harderwijk.

The face of Pallas Athena looks like she was into a fight with another greek god,
    and the hand seems to come out of the bible , must be the hand of God.
    great coin, thanks for sharing,
    Andres >>

Do you know where I can find more info about the die makers at the mint in Hardewijk?
  • Options
    collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Of course, I could have known that. I even have the books.

Thanks,

Dennis
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    That's weird, I would've guessed the "horse jumping over the mountain" was in fact the base of the original pillar, just like the original hand, which survived the restrike for some odd reason. I would not have guessed it was a deliberate mint mark. It's probably the biggest mint mark I've ever seen, if that is in fact a mint mark.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options