Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Another cautionary tale of eBay with a rant.

*I also posted this in the non-sport section but thought it might more good to save others from the same fate here.

I recently decided to build two 1977 PSA Star Wars sets with my two young sons by buying and opening boxes. In win a few boxes here and there and then one day a lot of all 5 series pops up with buy in now and best offer. I offer $1,200 and the seller excepts. I receive the boxes at work. I open them as soon as I get them and they are shrink wrapped (this point will be important later) I remove the shrink wrap from the first series box to inspect it and can easily see the packs have been poorly resealed. Roller marks don’t line up, some wrappers have torn flaps, some pack are pulled very tight while others are very loose. I leave the other four boxes shrink wrapped and contact the seller (within an hour of receiving the package) that they are resealed and I’d like to return them.

===Skip ahead to the post rant if you like to get to why this might matter to you.

In his email back to me he goes off saying I couldn’t have possible received the boxes yet because he only mailed them two days ago and that I just don’t want them now. Of course the package has tracking and shows it delivered and I send him a photo of his address label as well.

To this he goes off saying it’s crazy to think someone would reseal packs. At this point I’m a little PO’d. My kids are upset because I told them we’d be opening them on the weekend. I email him back and tell him all this.

And his response. Why do you care if they are resealed if you are going to open them, the cards and stickers are in there. Up until this point I was giving him the benefit of the doubt. That maybe he bought them already resealed and just didn’t know. Now it’s looking like he’s the resealer.

I write him again (not accusing him of resealing, just still wanting to return them) saying if this isn’t taken care of I’ll contact eBay and have them sort it out. He writes back saying he needs proof they are resealed.

I take pictures of few packs and add markups to them calling out all the things that show they have been resealed. Now he goes radio silent.

And in case you’d like to avoid this guy on eBay, he’s:

Jeff24wins4x

===End of rant

I file a claim with eBay. And ultimately they side with the seller. After a few calls I finally find out why. Because the boxes were shrink wrapped and I admitted to removing the it. To them the boxes were no longer in the original state as sold and there for could not be returned.

I spoke at length at the huge fraud loophole this creates. Someone could shrink wrap anything inside the box and if you as the buy open it to check you’re screwed. And if you don’t open it how do you prove the right thing is not in it?

They said they’d look into it more. I won’t be holding my breath.

-Mike

Comments

• Options
    alifaxwa2alifaxwa2 Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭
    Ouch, that sucks.

If you paid with your CC, file a charge back.
    Looking to have some custom cuts or plain custom cards built? PM me.

Commissions

Check out my Facebook page
  • Options
    ArchaninatorArchaninator Posts: 823 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    MiniDuffMiniDuff Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭
    Mind boggling. I just had a case as a seller where the buyer opened a sealed factory set and wanted to return it because the cards werent gem. I told him no, he had broken the seal and was not returning what he bought. Ebay sided with the BUYER. Good to see consistancy. In both cases, the honest person gets hosed.
    1975 Mini Collector
    ebay id Duffs_Dugout
    My Ebay Auctions
  • Options
    I did and always do pay with a cc, partly to get the miles image But i think that is going to be my next option on this one.

-Mike
  • Options
    GRGR Posts: 550 ✭✭
    Send a box of sealed rocks...then the buyer files a claim...seller says you took out the packs and took the pictures after his product was opened...im seriously shocked more jack wagons arent doing that on ebay considering how many thousands of fake $0.99 autograph forgerys you see every day image thats the risk you take online though...
    Nathan Wagner
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    Definitely file a dispute with your credit card company. I recently purchased a signed 8 x 10 Michael Strahan autograph, sent it to PSA/DNA where it failed BUT didn't hear from PSA until after the 45 day Ebay dispute window. Ebay said legally there was nothing they could do. The seller never answered any of my emails. Visa however got right on it and I've received a temporary credit which becomes permanent pending the response of the seller. Recently I got an email questioning my dispute and reccomended I try and resolve it directly with the seller. Yeah,right....
  • Options
    JMDVMJMDVM Posts: 950 ✭✭✭
    I failed to mention that the email was from PAYPAL suggesting I work it out with the seller.....