Home Autographs Forum

SET COMPLETED.

Hi Pete, Hi All.

Vintage Star Trek set completed (finally)! All 1967-1975 and many signed in character. Authentication by me - all raw off eBay at low prices. Hope you enjoy image

Best wishes,
Eric

Comments

• PipestonePetePipestonePete Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, nice job, Eric!

• Hi Pete,

Many thanks! image I am glad you enjoyed it and am sure you appreciate the difficulty in getting some of these. Anyone with true vintage stuff on Trek items is just not parting with it. I really believe I got them quite cheap - vintage aside people are paying $100+ just for recent Kelley (deceased 1997 or '99). Nimoy and Shatner are charging $100 each - Nicholls is asking $50 or so. One of these here was $17 shipped image

Best wishes always,
    Eric
  • Oh...info for anyone interested:

"Yes, the Apollo 11 crew. I get these stories all mixed up. Now I recall the context of your story.
    I think we were talking about autographs and I was saying that in 1969 everyone wanted the autographs of the blonde on Laugh In and less interest in Apollo 11 autographs. Now the blonde's auto is worth about $5 and those vintage Apollo 11 signatures on a single sheet would be in the thousands. On a single photo even more.
    Here is my vintage Star Trek collection. I left out several color lithographs from 1975 and some color glossies from 1967 made by the studio. I also have multiples of Doctor McCoy including a matching 8x10 signed to "Doris" (like the 5x7 below) who was the nurse on the set. He wrote "To Doris, every time I see you I have to drop my pants! Dr. McCoy DeForest Kelley". Also I have a poetry book by him all about making Star Trek that he self published. Anyway, here they are; I made a large scan so you'll have to click the link.

[image posted above in this PCGS thread]

The Shatner (Kirk) is from a well known 1967 book about Star Trek - The Making of Star Trek 1st edition. It is not a glossy, but a printed 5" x 7" page - but he actually wrote out his name which you just don't see; signed with black felt tip, it is the earliest I have ever seen on any Trek item. I had to trim it out because of the nature of the paper. It still is supple and will remain that way. The burn from the black pigment/iron oxide would cause this to be refused by any auction house and thats fine with me!
    The Nimoy (Spock) is a 1967 Official Fan Club 5" x 7" glossy photo. These are usually seen with an Autopen signature. In 13 years I have seen only 3 vintage items signed "Greetings from Spock". I own(ed) 2 of them. This is also signed with black felt tip.
    The Kelley (McCoy) is another 1967 5" x7" Fan Club glossy but signed to the nurse on set. It reads "To Doris, you're the best nurse I've ever known. Dr. McCoy P.S. Thanks!" - this I have never seen before; it is signed in black felt tip.
    The Doohan (Scotty) is a printed 1974 8" x 10" promo signed "Scotty". This is not that scarce, but in vintage form hard to locate. It is signed with red felt tip.
    The Nicholls (Uhurah) is a 1975 8" x 10" convention glossy signed with a Swahili greeting in black ink.
    The Takei (Sulu) is a 1974 glossy 8" x 10" Fan Club photo signed in felt tip.
    The Koening (Checkov) is a 1975 8" x 10" lithograph made signed in ballpoint.

It took me about quite some time to assemble. I am very proud of this set. I have a better set of 4 matching 3" x 5" Honeymooners studio portraits signed 1950-1958, but this was harder to assemble overall. I bought and sold several until I found just what I wanted, which was vintage items with vintage signatures signed in character. I hope to get a better Shatner one day but that is unrealistic. Anyone who has vintage stuff with vintage signatures will not let them go."

Best wishes,
    Eric
  • ConstantineConstantine Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on completion.
  • Hi Constantine,

Glad you liked it! Just yesterday I had the stroke of all luck. I have never seen a vintage Nurse Chapel of any sort. I found two from 1967, a 2 page Desilu bio signed when she was "happy to continue playing Nurse Chapel" and a 5x7 photo of her with Spock. Both $15...so, that is everyone now. KI am not branching of the Klingon's, others etc.

So happy you enjoyed.
    Other sets include matching 1956 (McCarthy, Wynter, Donovan Sign still, original stills etc.) 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers along with the same materials from 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers (org stills, Sutherland signed photo and a unique grease and ball point marked contact print of night rehearsals). Even the original stills show the same points in both films.

Cast 1944 Lifeboat by Hitchclock
    Cast 1950-58 Matching 3.5 x 5 b/w studio portraits of the honeymooners cast.
    many others. image

Best and thank you,
    Eric

Means a lot to me. Truly.
  • Awesome collection